ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New ASRock Z170 Pro4 - Randomly freezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:21am
Originally posted by joejccva71 joejccva71 wrote:

Upon booting back into Windows, the Event Viewer showed nothing at the time of the crash.

Get's me thinking a graphics driver issue.

It passes MemTest and Prime, and those are run w/o the OS or related video drivers loaded.
joejccva71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:24am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Is it freezing, or crashing? Two distinct occurances, though a driver conflict or outdated drives can be shared among them.

Grab DDU and let it do a complete and through uninstall. Then, immediately after uninstalling reboot and install the/a newest driver.
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/

If DDU fails and you still have these I'd urge you to borrow some friends memory and test with.

It's freezing.  It's a hard freeze.  No BSOD, no crash, just everything stops.  I can still see the screen but can't move the mouse, can't type, can't hit ESC, can't Ctrl-Alt-Delete, can't do anything except hold the power button down and shut machine down and then restart it.

I'll get DDU and do what you said.

Joe, also, any chance you may have the 212 EVO too tight? If that's possible with its mounting that is.

I don't believe I have it on too tight.  I've also run prime95 and Aidas 64 testers overnight and had no freezes in the morning.  CPU loads were all at 100% during the testing for hours.
Tenkei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenkei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 11:18am
Sad to hear that your PC is still freezing. I'm just throwing in my two cents:

- Use DDU in safe mode. The program should automatically suggest this when you open it on windows.

- Try to update your drivers with driver booster 3. This program will scan and update any device from your system to the latest version. Please beware that it could cause system errors when you decide to apply the updates. Personally I don't have any problems with driver booster 3 and I use it quite often to check for new driver updates.

- Since the CPU, RAM and probably also the GPU seem to work fine, then maybe check your WLAN card. This sounds rater silly, but my system crashed many times because of my Asus PCE-AC68 WIFI driver. If you really don't know what to do next, then remove your WIFI card and use your Onboard LAN or try other WIFI drivers.
Try to install the driver only version, without the including software/bloatware if possible.

- Check out Nirsoft Bluescreenview if you get a BSOD.

Good luck!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Tenkei Tenkei wrote:

I'm just throwing in my two cents:

- Use DDU in safe mode.

Thank you Tenkei. I forgot to mention run it Safe Mode.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by joejccva71 joejccva71 wrote:

I've also run prime95 and Aidas 64 testers overnight and had no freezes in the morning.  CPU loads were all at 100% during the testing for hours.

Yeah, hold off on the stress test for now. It's not needed at this point.

Edited by wardog - 12 Jan 2016 at 4:37pm
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:56pm
Have you tried with taking out the Nvidia card and running off the Intel 530 for a while?

by the way, FSX runs pretty well even on the integrated card to my surprise.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:32pm
Ok so just an update.  These are the things I did last night when I got home from work.

1. I checked the event viewer and noticed an error that happened whenever i booted into windows.  However, this error did not happen at the moment of freezing, only when I booted.   

"Driver ACPI returned invalid ID for a child device"

So I uninstalled both my audio and graphics drivers using DDU, let it run in safe mode, rebooted and then reinstalled just the motherboard audio, and just the Nvidia graphics and physx drivers.  Played a game for about 30 minutes.  Freeze.  So that didn't work.

2. Opened the case.  Pulled the memory out, used canned air and dusted out the memory sockets.  Then I put the memory back in different slots.  So instead of slots 1 and 3, I used 2 and 4.  I have 8 gb (2x4gb sticks).

Booted into windows and played a game for 5 hours or so, didn't freeze.  But I wasn't convinced.

3. I downloaded the stability tester, OCCT and I let it run all night. 

Woke up and no freeze.   People have said that if you can run the CPU: LINPACK tester with that program even just an hour, then you're machine is 100% stable for overclocking.  Well, I ran it all night and no freeze, no crash, nothing.  Keep in mind that I'm not overclocking, don't worry...everything is at stock speeds.

Still not convinced yet.

4.  This morning, I'm letting a Youtube video run all day while I'm work.  I've crashed before just playing a Youtube video.

Could it be just switching the memory around fixed this?

Edited by joejccva71 - 12 Jan 2016 at 9:36pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:50pm
You HAD the memory in A_1 and B_1?

No no no. Two sticks belong in A_2 and B_2 !

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and prematurely declare this Solved. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:56pm

You HAD the memory in A_1 and B_1?

No no no. Two sticks belong in A_2 and B_2 !

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and prematurely declare this Solved. Wink

Yea I had them in A1 and B1, but i thought as long as they weren't right next to each other that it didn't matter.  Like they could go in A1 and B1 OR A2 and B2 and it would be fine.

Like the manual shows:

Priority 1: A2 and B2
Priority 2: A1 and B1
Priority 3: A1, A2, B1, B2

But I mean couldn't it work just as well the way I originally had it?

Edited by joejccva71 - 12 Jan 2016 at 9:59pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 10:03pm
Next to each other and you loose "Dual Channel Memory". Hence the A's and B's.

Odd that ASRock didn't state A_2 and B_2 in the manual. I just looked at yours and a few others online too, no mention of it.

Yea. A2 and B2 are where they belong and why I'm guessing your problems are solved.

Though, keep posting if not, but I bet you've now fixed what was ailing there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic