ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New ASRock Z170 Pro4 - Randomly freezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by joejccva71 joejccva71 wrote:

But I mean couldn't it work just as well the way I originally had it?

Yes and no. 99% of the time, No.

It's gobbeldy gook as to why not and too in-depth for a discussion here as to the specifics. Suffice it that it is that way by design.
joejccva71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Next to each other and you loose "Dual Channel Memory". Hence the A's and B's.

Yea exactly, I mean I didn't have them right next to each other.  I had them in A and B but I guess in the wrong A and B slots. :)

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Though, keep posting if not, but I bet you've now fixed what was ailing there.

Will do.  I'm going to see how it does tonight.  It's always crashed in MS Flight Simulator X because I have the graphics turned all the way up lol, but last night it was smooth sailing all night.

Then I ran that OCCT.  I'm having high hopes.

Thanks for all your help too.

Edited by joejccva71 - 12 Jan 2016 at 10:17pm
DownyTif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownyTif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 10:27pm
Wow, while reading this thread, I check my mind to be sure I wasn't joejccva71 haha, since I have EXACTLY the same experience.

I did the same testing, had the memory in A1-B1, etc. My PC was freezing totally randomly. When I changed to A2-B2, never got a freeze again!

Until yesterday... I was playing Dying Light and after 1hour or so, froze. Had to do a hard reboot. But before that, I played a lot of Fallout 4, Rocket League (not the same day, but every day or 2) and didn't get a freeze.

My build:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/6rP86h

joejccva71: Any news on your side??

Also, I just saw that:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-prime-number-bug,30979.html
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 10:38pm
I doubt it is the prime bug as that occurs only when AVX is forced in prime 95 Not many (if any) apps/games make use of AVX. I am not saying it is impossible, tessellation may be coded to take advantage of AVX for example but I highly doubt it as it would mean systems lacking the feature would be severely disadvantaged. 

@DowneyTif: When you switched slots to A2/B2 did you clear CMOS? It is always wise to do so when switching memory slots as UEFIs can be funny about keeping settings they shouldn't. Are there any errors in your event logs that could indicate where the problem is coming from? I doubt the hard lock itself would have left one but there may be others that led up to it.
DownyTif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownyTif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I doubt it is the prime bug as that occurs only when AVX is forced in prime 95 Not many (if any) apps/games make use of AVX. I am not saying it is impossible, tessellation may be coded to take advantage of AVX for example but I highly doubt it as it would mean systems lacking the feature would be severely disadvantaged. 

@DowneyTif: When you switched slots to A2/B2 did you clear CMOS? It is always wise to do so when switching memory slots as UEFIs can be funny about keeping settings they shouldn't. Are there any errors in your event logs that could indicate where the problem is coming from? I doubt the hard lock itself would have left one but there may be others that led up to it.

I remember having cleared the CMOS to default by clicking the button in the BIOS (reset UEFI to default), but I can't remember if I did this before or after changing the RAM slots. While using A1-B1, my build was freezing almost every day (while playing games, looking at videos, at idle, etc.) Since I changed to A2-B2 (on decembre 28th), no freeze at all except for yesterday. I'll try to reset the CMOS again. Did I reset it correctly the first time?

For the events, I have exactly the same thing as joejccva71. No events at freeze time, just events after I power-off then on the PC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by DownyTif DownyTif wrote:

Wow, while reading this thread, I check my mind to be sure I wasn't joejccva71 haha, since I have EXACTLY the same experience.

I did the same testing, had the memory in A1-B1, etc. My PC was freezing totally randomly. When I changed to A2-B2, never got a freeze again!

Until yesterday... I was playing Dying Light and after 1hour or so, froze. Had to do a hard reboot. But before that, I played a lot of Fallout 4, Rocket League (not the same day, but every day or 2) and didn't get a freeze.

My build:

Also, I just saw that:

Yea ever since I switch the memory to A2-B2 I haven't had a freeze yet and I've played MS Flight Simulator X on full settings, Skyrim, Witcher 3 ...all on Ultra settings.  No problems so far.  I didn't clear the CMOS but I did reset the BIOS UEFI to defaults.   I was thinking after 2 full days of no freezing that maybe I was ready to overclock again.  But you said you've crashed since so I dunno.

I don't know about this Skylake prime number bug.

Do you have the same board?  Z170 Pro4?

Edited by joejccva71 - 14 Jan 2016 at 11:18pm
DownyTif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownyTif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:25pm

My build:

Also, I just saw that:

Yea ever since I switch the memory to A2-B2 I haven't had a freeze yet and I've played MS Flight Simulator X on full settings, Skyrim, Witcher 3 ...all on Ultra settings.  No problems so far.  I didn't clear the CMOS but I did reset the BIOS UEFI to defaults.   I was thinking after 2 full days of no freezing that maybe I was ready to overclock again.  But you said you've crashed since so I dunno.

I don't know about this Skylake prime number bug.

Do you have the same board?  Z170 Pro4?

Yep, exactly the same board. But wait... hum I'm kind of new to this building my own PC (but got help). I think I'm mixing up the CMOS and BIOS UEFI, cause I did reset the BIOS UEFI to default. How to I clear the CMOS?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:42pm

Yep, exactly the same board. But wait... hum I'm kind of new to this building my own PC (but got help). I think I'm mixing up the CMOS and BIOS UEFI, cause I did reset the BIOS UEFI to default. How to I clear the CMOS?

It's a jumper on the motherboard.  With the machine powered down you take one of the little jumpers that came with the board and place it on the two pins on the board for about 5 seconds, then remove it.  Power on the machine and the CMOS is reset. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:45pm
Check page 22 of your user manual for instructions to clear CMOS. It may not help but it certainly won't hurt. Resetting to factory defaults does not clear CMOS as effectively as the jumper.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 12:17am

Yea ever since I switch the memory to A2-B2 I haven't had a freeze yet and I've played MS Flight Simulator X on full settings, Skyrim, Witcher 3 ...all on Ultra settings.  No problems so far.

Hooray!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic