ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New ASRock Z170 Pro4 - Randomly freezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownyTif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 5:53am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Meh, I'll remind you this forum has a strict No Crying policy !  Wacko

You want to work at this and see if it'll run, albeit at a lower MHz on the memory?

Haha, no worry. I could try that yep.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by DownyTif DownyTif wrote:

Alright, did it. RAM is configured correctly and validated.

Played Diablo 3 for like 1h30, ALT-TAB to Windows to take a small break and bang, froze again. I had HWMonitor started, my temps where 40C for CPU, 60C for GTX970.....

I'm about to cry.

In the BIOS,XMP Profile, do your sticks show a 2133MHz XMP Profile?

If the do, choose that one and retry with testing by playing Diablo 3 .
DownyTif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownyTif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 12:20am
The only profile that I could chose was XMP 2.0 2400, or Auto. I'll need to manually downclock the RAM I think.

EDIT: yesterday, when I came home at night after being away for the day, my PC was frozen at Idle.

Edited by DownyTif - 19 Jan 2016 at 12:21am
joejccva71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 8:28am
Just froze out of the blue.  Hadn't happened for almost an entire week and just happened in a game.  A game I had been playing all week long.  Temps were fine, nothing out of the ordinary...just...freeze.

I am beyond angry at this point.  Clearly there's something going on here if I can play games and be fine for an entire week and then it freezes for no reason?   

It has to be something with the CPU like these articles are floating around with.  I want a BIOS fix.  I already have the latest BIOS (3.00 version) for my board, but they need to make a new one with the fix in it. 

I can't even return the product back where I bought it cause they only have a 7 day return policy on CPU's and Motherboards.

What do I do?  I've already emailed back "Eric" from ASRock support but I dont know what good it will do.  He'll tell me the same stuff of "take it back to your store" or whatever.

Not that I'm trying to over-analyze this, but it froze tonight exactly 7 days after it froze last monday and almost the exact time.   Like it froze last Monday night at 7:25pm, and it froze tonight at 7:28pm.  I'm not even kidding.  It went almost exactly 7 days to almost the exact time before it froze.

Edited by joejccva71 - 19 Jan 2016 at 12:08pm
DownyTif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownyTif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by joejccva71 joejccva71 wrote:

Just froze out of the blue.  Hadn't happened for almost an entire week and just happened in a game.  A game I had been playing all week long.  Temps were fine, nothing out of the ordinary...just...freeze.

I am beyond angry at this point.  Clearly there's something going on here if I can play games and be fine for an entire week and then it freezes for no reason?   

It has to be something with the CPU like these articles are floating around with.  I want a BIOS fix.  I already have the latest BIOS (3.00 version) for my board, but they need to make a new one with the fix in it. 

I can't even return the product back where I bought it cause they only have a 7 day return policy on CPU's and Motherboards.

What do I do?  I've already emailed back "Eric" from ASRock support but I dont know what good it will do.  He'll tell me the same stuff of "take it back to your store" or whatever.

Not that I'm trying to over-analyze this, but it froze tonight exactly 7 days after it froze last monday and almost the exact time.   Like it froze last Monday night at 7:25pm, and it froze tonight at 7:28pm.  I'm not even kidding.  It went almost exactly 7 days to almost the exact time before it froze.

I'm also in contact with the support guy. I followed his instruction, made the setup yesterday evening and now the waiting game begins.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 11:36pm

Originally posted by joejccva71 joejccva71 wrote:

I'm also in contact with the support guy. I followed his instruction, made the setup yesterday evening and now the waiting game begins.

What instruction did he give you?
DownyTif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownyTif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 12:20am
Basically to connect only the needed stuff:

- CPU + cooler
- Graphic card
- Power + Reset button
- 1 RAM
- 1 HDD or SSD (with OS)
- Keyboard + Mouse

To eliminate short-circuit probability, he told me to install the mobo outside of the case (on the mobo box for example).

Before doing that, you should open a support ticket with ASROCK and let them tell you those steps though. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 12:45am

Basically to connect only the needed stuff:

- CPU + cooler
- Graphic card
- Power + Reset button
- 1 RAM
- 1 HDD or SSD (with OS)
- Keyboard + Mouse

To eliminate short-circuit probability, he told me to install the mobo outside of the case (on the mobo box for example).

Before doing that, you should open a support ticket with ASROCK and let them tell you those steps though. 

Ok so the problem I have is, it took a week for my system to freeze and then it didn't happen again the rest of the night.

So they want me to have all my parts all outside of the case for 1-2 weeks or even longer waiting for my machine to freeze?  That's ridiculous.  

I might take everything out, box it up and get a new motherboard, ram, cpu and PSU again.  I might switch cases too just in case.  It's the NZXT S340 Blue/Black case.

I'm pretty irritated with this freezing problem because I have absolutely NO idea why it would work great FOR A WHOLE 7 DAYS then freeze just randomly.  And I literally am on my computer every day gaming.  Like, nothing has changed during this 7 day period.  I didn't install anything, I didn't play anything different, I'm always monitoring temps. 

Sigh, I'm so frustrated I don't even know what to do at this point other than return everything.

Edited by joejccva71 - 20 Jan 2016 at 12:47am
DownyTif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownyTif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 2:41am
Interesting:

Edited by DownyTif - 20 Jan 2016 at 2:42am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 2:57am

Interesting:

Where is the option in the BIOS for our motherboard to turn CSTATES off?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic