ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New ASRock Z170 Pro4 - Randomly freezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 5:53am
Advanced \ CPU Configuration

Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
SSD 950 Pro (OS) 850 Evo (data)
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD
joejccva71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 5:58am
Ok CSTATES is currently disabled now.   We'll see how it goes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 8:04am
Originally posted by DownyTif DownyTif wrote:

Basically to connect only the needed stuff:

- CPU + cooler
- Graphic card
- Power + Reset button
- 1 RAM
- 1 HDD or SSD (with OS)
- Keyboard + Mouse

To eliminate short-circuit probability, he told me to install the mobo outside of the case (on the mobo box for example).

Before doing that, you should open a support ticket with ASROCK and let them tell you those steps though. 

Any freezes for you yet since you took those parts out of the case?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 10:18am
So just an update.  I haven't froze since the CSTATES change in the BIOS but last week I didn't freeze for an entire week.  I mean I "could" potentially just leave this as is, and if I freeze once a week I "could" be ok with that?  I guess?  But I already called Micro Center here in Cambridge, MA and I'm going to bring back everything on Saturday and replace it with not only new parts, but new brand names also.

I'm going to get a better motherboard (probably going with ASUS this time), ram, video card, and psu.  It's going to cost me an additional $326 ..(already did the math) but I think it's worth it.  

I want a STABLE rig.  That's not too much to ask for is it?  After all this headache that I've (and others) have been through.  I mean, ASRock support has been ok i guess?  Not bad, but not amazing either.   It's tough to get in contact with them via emails because they don't answer but once every 3-4 days which is very frustrating.

Just wanted to update you guys as you've been more help than support has, and for that I thank you.

Edited by joejccva71 - 21 Jan 2016 at 10:19am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 11:04am
Understandable. Here's wishing you the sincerest tidings with whatever you're getting next.
DownyTif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownyTif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by joejccva71 joejccva71 wrote:

- CPU + cooler
- Graphic card
- Power + Reset button
- 1 RAM
- 1 HDD or SSD (with OS)
- Keyboard + Mouse

To eliminate short-circuit probability, he told me to install the mobo outside of the case (on the mobo box for example).

Before doing that, you should open a support ticket with ASROCK and let them tell you those steps though. 

Yes, it froze today with only the basic. I'm really starting to think that the problem is Skylake, not the board. Too many people using different boards have this over the internet. All related to Skylake, with all the same symptoms.

Anyway, I'm speaking with Eric (support guy) everyday, so I'll see my options. I can RMA the board or wait to see what Intel has to say about it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 12:30pm

Originally posted by joejccva71 joejccva71 wrote:

- CPU + cooler
- Graphic card
- Power + Reset button
- 1 RAM
- 1 HDD or SSD (with OS)
- Keyboard + Mouse

Yes, it froze today with only the basic. I'm really starting to think that the problem is Skylake, not the board. Too many people using different boards have this over the internet. All related to Skylake, with all the same symptoms.

Anyway, I'm speaking with Eric (support guy) everyday, so I'll see my options. I can RMA the board or wait to see what Intel has to say about it.

Eric just gave me the usual, "RMA the board or return it where you got it".  

But not everyone is having issues with the Skylake processors and there are ALOT of people that have them.  I think it's more or less finding the right board that has the BIOS update that FIXES the Skylake problem from Intel.

It's one of the reasons why I'm going ASUS, tried and true.
DownyTif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownyTif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 11:01pm
New BIOS available
:)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 11:10pm
Yup, ASRock have been rolling out BIOS updates all day Thumbs Up 
Not all products are covered yet but they have been working fast so it won't be long Smile
DownyTif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DownyTif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 9:51am
For the record, since I unsloted my RAM and put it back, no freeze. After a while, I also updated the BIOS to the new version.

I haven't experienced a freeze in a long time now. My guess: my RAM must have been barely slotted correctly because my MB is smaller than the posts in the case. When I reinstalled my RAM, my MB was on a table, so I was able to really push it in while holding the back of the MB.

So far so good !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic