ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New ASRock Z170 Pro4 - Randomly freezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New ASRock Z170 Pro4 - Randomly freezing
    Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 11:09pm
Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YGTJ6h

I have tried both Windows 10 and Windows 7. It doesn't matter. It will randomly freeze whether I'm playing a game, watching a video on youtube, or just sitting at the desktop. It's very random and I could be playing a game fine for 3 hours and then it will freeze. Or I could be just looking at a website or a video or anything.

Here's what I've done so far:

• Updated ASRock BIOS to the latest version: 3.0
  • Updated all the drivers from the motherboard website
  • Updated latest graphics driver from Nvidia.
  • Monitored heat with CPU HW Monitor and the CPU and the system are pretty cool. 30deg celsius at idle, and 54-60deg celsius at 100% load.
  • Ran Memtest86 for 7 hours straight with no errors. It completed 6 passes, no errors.
  • Ran SSD health diagnostic on both my Samsung SSD drives and they both checked out 100% healthy.
  • Ran sfc /scannow and found no issues.
  • Ran prime95 for 8 hours with no issues. Temps never got above 60deg celsius.

Like I don't know what else to do. I mean I guess it could be a bad PSU or the motherboard maybe? Could the RAM still be bad after testing it with memtest86 for hours?

Anyone have any ideas? It's very frustrating.

peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:19am
For as little as it might help, I am running the same board with a similar setup i5 6600 (non k) with a sammy 850 evo as a main drive but without any discrete graphic card.

Never experience freezes so far, except when I was pushing too much with overclocking or undervolting.
Few things to try if you haven't yet

- Reset bios to stock
- Remove GTX970 an run off the integrated VGA
- Try one RAM stick at the time

Can you replicate the crash or is it totally random?

joejccva71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:24am
Originally posted by peroni peroni wrote:

For as little as it might help, I am running the same board with a similar setup i5 6600 (non k) with a sammy 850 evo as a main drive but without any discrete graphic card.

Never experience freezes so far, except when I was pushing too much with overclocking or undervolting.
Few things to try if you haven't yet

- Reset bios to stock
- Remove GTX970 an run off the integrated VGA
- Try one RAM stick at the time

Can you replicate the crash or is it totally random?

Thanks for the reply.

I've reset the bios to stock.  I'll try removing the video card and run off the integrated and will change the ram around to different sockets as well as using only one stick at a time.

I can't replicate the crash, it's completely random.   Last night I was playing Skyrim for 4 hours on the highest settings possible with mods and everything and was fine.  Then after getting out of the game, I started browsing the net and watching a youtube video before bed, and it froze then.

It's totally random and I could be doing anything.

Edited by joejccva71 - 12 Jan 2016 at 4:29am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 5:58am
Joe, guessing from here either the memory is incompatible(1st thought) or the PSU is not doing what it's supposed to.

Easy enough to check the PSU if you can check it against a good(not $6.00) PSU Tester.

Is it leaving anything in the Event Log, or is it completely shutting down? It it's just shutting down, no BSOD displayed, it's most likely the memory first, then the PSU.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 6:02am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Joe, guessing from here either the memory is incompatible(1st thought) or the PSU is not doing what it's supposed to.

Easy enough to check the PSU if you can check it against a good(not $6.00) PSU Tester.

Is it leaving anything in the Event Log, or is it completely shutting down? It it's just shutting down, no BSOD displayed, it's most likely the memory first, then the PSU.

So I just checked the Event Log and around the time my system froze I see this error:

"Driver PCI returned invalid ID for a child device"

Then I start to think and I remember installing the latest Realtek Audio drivers off of Asrock's site, but when I went to Nvidia's site to get my graphics drivers, it also installed the HD Audio drivers.  I'm not sure why Nvidia does this.

So I'm in the process now of removing both sets of drivers, rebooting and just installing the Realtek drivers.  
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:37am
Originally posted by joejccva71 joejccva71 wrote:

...I went to Nvidia's site to get my graphics drivers, it also installed the HD Audio drivers.  I'm not sure why Nvidia does this.

Guessing your video card has DisplayPort and or HDMI out.

Both outputs transmit audio, with the nVidia driver that is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:41am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by joejccva71 joejccva71 wrote:

...I went to Nvidia's site to get my graphics drivers, it also installed the HD Audio drivers.  I'm not sure why Nvidia does this.

Guessing your video card has DisplayPort and or HDMI out.

Both outputs transmit audio, with the nVidia driver that is.

Ahh yes it does.  And I do have 2 monitors setup.  One monitor is using the DVI port, and the other is using the HDMI port but I don't need audio from them.

Either way, we'll see if that was conflicting or not.  Will do more testing.

If it was in fact a driver conflicting issue, it does make sense because I remember it freezing mostly when I was either in games or playing Youtube videos where audio was being played.

But only time will tell. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejccva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 8:37am
Just froze while playing MS Flight Simulator X at 7:29pm EST.

I had the game running for about 30 minutes or so before the freeze.  My cpu temps were at 46 degrees celsius, and my graphics card temps were 27 deg celsius at the time of the crash.

Upon booting back into Windows, the Event Viewer showed nothing at the time of the crash.   It only showed two entries of:  "Driver ACPI returned invalid ID for a child device" after I rebooted but it's always shown that.  There are no errors at the particular time of the freeze.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:10am
Is it freezing, or crashing? Two distinct occurances, though a driver conflict or outdated drives can be shared among them.

Grab DDU and let it do a complete and through uninstall. Then, immediately after uninstalling reboot and install the/a newest driver.
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/

If DDU fails and you still have these I'd urge you to borrow some friends memory and test with.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:13am
Joe, also, any chance you may have the 212 EVO too tight? If that's possible with its mounting that is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic