ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - b550, zen3, & polychrome not detecting rgb devices
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

b550, zen3, & polychrome not detecting rgb devices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mapleglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: b550, zen3, & polychrome not detecting rgb devices
    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:02am
I have an all new build with fresh hardware (b550 phantom itx and ryzen 5900x), and Polychrome isn't detecting any of my RGB devices.

Polychrome is capable of adjusting the motherboard lights, just not any additional devices.

When installing Polychrome v2.0.80, I see that it adds a "Patriot M.2 RGB" entry to my installed programs menu. However, I do not have that hardware installed. I suspect polychrome installation is mis-detecting my RAM (which is actually gskill trident z) as this m.2 device. I wish this were configurable so I could run the installer on the commandline and provide it appropriate config as a workaround (I'm assuming this problem is mostly chalked up to a config mismatch).

The interesting thing is that GSkill's own RGB lighting control program cannot detect this RAM either.

This leads me to believe there needs to be an update to support Zen 3 devices in general, not just specifically on b550 motherboards.
Based Baker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Based Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:12am
I'm also in the same boat. I have a B550 Taichi and Trident Z Royals and can only control the motherboard lights with Polychrome. Both Polychrome and the G Skill software aren't detecting my RAM either. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling RGB software/drivers like the G Skill forum suggested but still no fix.
I would like to know if this could be fixed before I invest in more RGB devices.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 5:39pm
Dear mapleglass,
Thank you for the posting.

For this case, we would suggest flashing the RGB firmware manually to try.
Please refer to the following steps.

1.Uninstall the ASRock Polychrome and other RGB control program in Control Panel and make sure the ASRRGB folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\ is disappear.

2. Restart the PC and download the latest ASRock Polychrome utility from below link and install it.
ASRock Polychrome RGB ver:2.0.80: https://download.asrock.com/Utility/RGB/PolychromeRGB(v2.0.80).zip

3. Type "CMD" in Windows search bar and right click to choose "Run as administrator".

4. Go to RGB app installation folder in Command Prompt by typing "cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\ASRRGBLED\Bin"

5. Flash the RGB chip by using the following command "WriteFW.bat"

After step 5, kindly wait about 30 sec and the FW flash will finish.

Thank you,

Best wishes,
ASRock TSD
Grumpy_old_man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy_old_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:06am
Hello everybody!
I have the same problem that Polychrome no longer recognizes my Ram (G.Skill Trident Z RGB). The B550 Steel Legend ran without errors with my Ryzen 3600X. After installing a Ryzen 5800x, both A-Tuning in the latest beta version and Polychrome no longer worked. After uninstalling and reinstalling both programs, Plychrome always worked again. It was interesting that when the newly installed plychrome was opened for the first time, it flashed the RGB chip by itself without asking. However, Polychrome does not recognize my Ram to this day.

Flashing the RGB chip again, clear CMOS or replacing the battery did not solve the problem so far. Even reinstalling Windows and then installing the software did not solve the problem so far.

I tried 2 different G.Skill Trident Z modules:

- F4-3600C18D-16GTZR
- F4-3200C14D16GTZR

Both work great at the specified speed and with the correct timings. Polychrome just doesn't recognize the RAM.

Bios: 1.52
Polychrome: 2.0.80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Based Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by ASRock_TSD ASRock_TSD wrote:

Dear mapleglass,
Thank you for the posting.

For this case, we would suggest flashing the RGB firmware manually to try.
Please refer to the following steps.

1.Uninstall the ASRock Polychrome and other RGB control program in Control Panel and make sure the ASRRGB folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\ is disappear.

2. Restart the PC and download the latest ASRock Polychrome utility from below link and install it.
ASRock Polychrome RGB ver:2.0.80: https://download.asrock.com/Utility/RGB/PolychromeRGB(v2.0.80).zip

3. Type "CMD" in Windows search bar and right click to choose "Run as administrator".

4. Go to RGB app installation folder in Command Prompt by typing "cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\ASRRGBLED\Bin"

5. Flash the RGB chip by using the following command "WriteFW.bat"

After step 5, kindly wait about 30 sec and the FW flash will finish.

Thank you,

Best wishes,
ASRock TSD

I followed these directions but Polychrome still doesn't recognize my RAM. Any other suggestions?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy_old_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:19pm
Dear Based Baker,

as described in my post, I've tried pretty much everything. Unfortunately without success. My guess is that the interaction between Zen 3 and Polychrome is not working.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy_old_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 7:34pm
The ASRock support contacted me and sent me a link with the new version. The RGB control of the Ram works perfectly again!

Here the Link: https://download.asrock.com/TSD/Desktop/Tool/AsrPolychromeRGBSetup(v2.0.83).zip

Thank you very much for your support ASRock-Team.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Based Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 2:41am
Thank you Grumpy_old_man for the link to the new Polychrome! I can confirm that my RAM and mobo RGB are now synced.

Thank you ASRock for the quick fix!
mapleglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mapleglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 10:46am
The new version of polychrome worked up until I installed ASUS Armoury Crate to adjust my GPU.

Uninstalling Armoury Crate and re-flashing the motherboard with the polychrome WriteFW tool still has no effect.
mapleglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mapleglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 1:59pm
Ok, I manually ran C:\Program Files (x86)\ENE\io\ene.exe while polychrome was open, and now it will detect the RAM.

I don't understand how this works, but documenting it for the sake of debugging & for others running into this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic