ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty 970 Performance problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VojislavM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty 970 Performance problem
    Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 5:26am
Yesterday I bought Fatal1ty 970 Performance motherboard, AMD Fx-9370 processor, 2x Kingston HyperX DDR3 8Gb 1866Mhz, Gigabyte GTX 750Ti 4Gb graphic card and I already had Samsung SSD 128 Gb.But when I assembled all that I have problem installing windows.I put install DVD into the DVD rom and Windows files loads into memory and when installation starts computer freezes.I tried with Windows 7 and Windows 8 and same thing happens.In every case computer freezes when installation of Windows starts. Cry
Does anyone knows is there some compatibility issues with those parts and is there any way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 5:48am
The first thing I thought of was overheating issues with that FX-9370 of yours. What sort of cooling do you have on your CPU and otherwise? Note that the CPU support list says that both of these apply when using an FX-9370 or FX-9590:

-For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.
-For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a decent liquid cooling system

Could you also list the rest of your system specs? PSU, case and so on.

Edited by PetrolHead - 15 Jan 2016 at 5:49am
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
VojislavM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VojislavM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 6:04am
Hi!Thanks for your answer!
CPU cooler is: Raijintek Pallas 140mm.I was told that this cooler is enough for this processor.
Case is some standard no name ATX case.Nothing special.I keep it always open with lids removed for better cooling.
I also have two standard Hitachi SATA hard disks, one of 1Tb capacity and the other 300 Gb and DVD rom.And that's it.Nothing else.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 6:11am
That cooler is definitely not enough to keep your CPU cool based on what I could find on it, not even close. It's barely enough for a 125 W TDP CPU. You should use the stock water cooler for the CPU and get a spot fan to cool the socket and the VRM section.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
VojislavM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VojislavM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 6:15am
Hm.Maybe you are right. Ermm Now I have looked at CPU temperature in BIOS and it says that my CPU is running at 80 C. Ermm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 6:30am
Let me be a bit more specific. Your CPU is a 220 W TDP monster that requires a lot from the cooling of your system. The stock water cooler should be enough to keep the CPU itself cool, but the CPU is not the only thing that will run hot. Your motherboard has a 8+2 power phase design, which is not great for a CPU with this high a TDP. In practice your VRM section will likely run pretty hot from the get-go and if you don't pay attention to its cooling, you may experience instability or throttling even if the CPU itself seems to be running cool.

So, in addition to using the water cooler, your case should have a fan blowing air out through the back panel right next to the VRM section. The air flow that this will generate will help keep the VRM cool, but the fan needs to be moving at least a certain amount of air for it to be enough. I don't remember what the AMD requirement was, but I don't think there's any sense in saving money here since fans aren't that expensive to begin with. A good 140 mm fan spinning at full speed should be a good start, but check the specs of each of your options.

In addition to making sure your case has a healthy amount of cool air running through it, you likely need to provide extra ventilation for the CPU socket as well as the VRM section. This you can achieve by placing a spot fan so that it blows air over both. You just need to figure out how to do it in practice (what fits inside the case, how will you fasten it etc.).
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 6:33am
Originally posted by VojislavM VojislavM wrote:

Hm.Maybe you are right. Ermm Now I have looked at CPU temperature in BIOS and it says that my CPU is running at 80 C. Ermm

That's actually what is otherwise known as the socket temperature. Not that it matters much now. In any case it's way too high.  I wouldn't turn the computer on again before getting a proper cooler for the CPU. Do you still have the stock water cooler or were you just sold the Raijintek Pallas?

Edited by PetrolHead - 15 Jan 2016 at 6:34am
VojislavM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VojislavM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 6:46am
Thanks PetrolHead!Thank you for your advices.Since I only have Raijintek Pallas I need to buy some water cooling system for CPU and some case fan.I will certainly  listen to your advices. Thumbs Up
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:02am
Well, don't buy anything before asking for suggestions from people with more experience with that CPU. Unfortunately I pretty much only know it can be hard to tame. I wouldn't buy anything from the place you bought your current parts from, since they apparently don't know what they're doing. ;)

I did some digging and it seems that your motherboard isn't a good choice for that CPU either, unfortunately. Sure, the 970 chipset is a red flag in itself, but the 8+2 power phase is in reality a doubled 4+1 (source: The Stilt, http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database/1440#post_23650864), which is not as bad as 4+1, but not quite as good as true 8+2 either. You might be able to use it, but the VRM may pop if your computer sees a lot of heavy use (and if it doesn't, why get an FX-9370?).
VojislavM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VojislavM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:13am
I dont know... Confused I Googled it before buying and found that this motherboard is fully compatible with this processor.You can see here that it has a score 10: http://www.pc-specs.com/cpu/AMD/FX/FX-9370/1876/Compatible_Motherboards
And I also check it on pcpartpicker.com and got same result.

Now I managed to cool down my processor with some fan and now the temperature is around 60 C but I still cant install Windows.Still freezes. :(

Edited by VojislavM - 15 Jan 2016 at 7:14am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic