ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X99 Extreme 4 | Turns off immediately after power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Extreme 4 | Turns off immediately after power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsarath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 3:05pm
I assembeled the PC in India after buying stuff when I was in USA. The power supply where I am is very reliable, and I power the rig via a UPS. I've ordered a new PSU and along with it a line fault detector to verify if the lines are configured correctly. I've read about problems like ground being open and the like.

As much as I want to plug in everything and try to fireup hwmonitor, I'm worried if it's indeed a bad PSU, would it damage the components?

Regards, J
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 4:49pm
I'd hold off the so long as you have a new one en-route.

I just don't see it from here with what you've explained so far as it being the PSU but since you have one coming, hold off. That'll make all of us, you included, feel safer.

Edited by wardog - 17 Jan 2016 at 4:50pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 4:55pm
It's clean inside? None of that dust India is famous for clogging it up?

You seem on top of it reading your posts here, but still, this might maybe should have been the first question asked I guess. Nothing personal in my asking, ok?

Edited by wardog - 17 Jan 2016 at 4:56pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I'd hold off the so long as you have a new one en-route.

I just don't see it from here with what you've explained so far as it being the PSU but since you have one coming, hold off. That'll make all of us, you included, feel safer.

It could be heat related true. The only reason I took this tack is because I have seen almost this exact behavior caused by a dying PSU with a bad cap. 

On a cold boot everything seemed fine then after 20 - 30 mins at idle (less under load) the system would lock up then would throw a number of post errors and refuse to boot until the system was shut off and left unpowered for long enough. It isn't common but given the expense of the system, the reused PSU and the sudden nature of the issue I felt it prudent to mention. The system I encountered with this issue suffered damage as a result of the bad PSU because the client that owned it kept leaving it off long enough for it to power on again then used it till it died, apparently initially the hard lock happened less frequently. 

On another note, a bad PSU can cause heat issues in the system too, placing too much strain on the VRMs. 

Ideally we want it to be heat related as it is far less likely to damage the rest of the system given the number of thermal protections in place on modern hardware but on the off chance it isn't I wouldn't risk further damaging the system with a potentially damaged PSU. 

However given the system was on a UPS, a fact not mentioned previously, the power supply seems a little less likely. My first line of attack with random shutdowns and hard locks has always been check the PSU, largely because I worked in Africa for over a decade with less than ideal power. Regardless of whether it is the PSU or not, getting a new one is neither a waste of time nor money. When making a new build it is always best to fit a new PSU, especially if that new system is a more expensive 2011 platform. Even the best brand PSUs can and do go bad and PSUs have a nasty habit of taking other components with them when they die. 

I still stand behind the bad power suspicion. I guess whoever gets the closest to a solution gets a digital Beer 

Good luck Jsarath, let us know how it goes once you get the new PSU. Hopefully that resolves the issue and not just cuz I want a digital beer LOL
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 10:41pm
Game ON Xaltar !

Cuz I'm thirsty
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by jsarath jsarath wrote:

I've read about problems like ground being open and the like.

What? Like skimping on build costs and leaving the GRD open? Or worse, tying it to Neutral? Na. That doesn't happen does it?

Just kidding with the above. It is deadly serious that things get connected properly.

I have to ask here of you J. Does the plug running from the PSU to the wall fit flush to the wall receptacle?

Read the below as to why I ask
http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/d/

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/m/
jsarath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsarath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 12:28am
Thanks guys. Well, there was some dust, but nothing that I think would have caused trouble. I cleaned it again after I hit the problem last evening.

The UPS is plugged right into the receptacle, sits flush too. The PSU is powered directly from the UPS and the display & external HDd via a Belkin power strip. After hitting the issue, I removed everything else and ran the PSU and display direct from the UPS, no difference.

The line tester is just a precaution, to rule out another variable.

My line of attack is this - Once the new PSU is available, try to boot off it. If the PSU was the problem, thia will fix it. If not, ince the system has been sitting idle for over a day, I'm hoping to get about 15 minutes of runtime, during which I can load hwmonitor and keep an eye on the temp. My BIOS monitoring the other night showed MoBo at 34 ??and CPU at 39.5??with the CPU fan RPM increasing when the temp went to 40.

If i hit a CPU high temp, tge take the cooler off, clean it up, reapply thermal paste. Try again.
If it's the mobo, take everything off, clean ( what do you recommend - suction vs blower ) and try again.

Also planning to pop in a new CMOS battery just for the sake of it. I read a reddit thread where Z99 motherboads from Asrock have an inbuilt flaw and had to be RMA'd. I seriously hope i dont have to do that - shipping it from here to USA and back is will likely cost me an arm & leg.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 12:35am
I'd have to find the link again, but do NOT use a Lightning and Surge protection Joule rated power strip off of an UPS.

A plain power strip w/o Lightning and Surge protection is fine.

The article stated to never use use MOV protected strips behind an UPS. The MOV's do not one bit like the sine or semi-sine an UPS produces at all.
jsarath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsarath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 12:37am
Damn, I never knew that. Thanks, I'll take your word for it and buy a plain one tomorrow.       
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 12:45am
This isn't the one I was looking for yet there is the technical discussion held that verifies

Start at the linked post and continue down
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/212438-ups-plugged-into-a-surge-protector-bad/#entry2447433
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic