ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X99 Extreme 4 | Turns off immediately after power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Extreme 4 | Turns off immediately after power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 12:48am
Oh! What UPS do you have?

I have 6 here, four APC SmartUPS 1400's and two APC BackUPS Pro 1400.

Edited by wardog - 18 Jan 2016 at 12:49am
jsarath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsarath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 12:56am
I have an APC BackUPS RS550
jsarath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsarath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 5:40am
Ok, here's an update. The new PSU arrived, with the multimeter amd line testers. Tested and ensured that my elecyrical wiring is proper.

Pluggedin and booted the system using new PSU. It ran for about 13 minutes before hitting the first shutdown. Subsequently, the situation was more or less like the day before.

Out of ideas and options, I pulled out the CMOS battery and powered the system. This time it booted and I got a BSOD. It kept on having the boot loop ( inaccessible boot device and thread error) until i shut it down.

After a few tries, i decided to repair the boot disk and the system lived through about 25 minutes of chkdsk and sfc. Then, I shut it down while i was making a windows installer media and put the battery back in. After that the system.xontinued to run uninterrupted when powered on.

I'm inclined ti think that it's got nothing to do with PSU. Why it was shutting down and how did the symptiom go away when I powered the system without CMOS battery is a mystery to me. And man, I hate mysteries. Any ideas?

Planning to reinstall windows ( dont have the patience to fix it) amd then run some stress tests.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 5:48am
That is pretty odd Confused

When you say "run uninterrupted" you mean the issue is no longer occurring?

If so then it may be that your CMOS clear was not quite fully effective. Hopefully the issue is now resolved. Keep us posted Thumbs Up
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 5:29pm
Beer? Did an heretofore unnamed person say they're buying the next round? Bwaahaha Wink Tongue
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by jsarath jsarath wrote:

Planning to reinstall windows ( dont have the patience to fix it) amd then run some stress tests.

NEVER attempt to "fix' a bad Windows install. Doing so will only leave doubts in your head should an issue occur later on.
jsarath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsarath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 6:44pm

I certaily hope the problem has gone away, but it leaves a lingering doubt in my mind as to what was the issue. My previous CMOS clears seemed to have worked - BIOS would reset back to default and I had to configure again. May be aomething that's not as apparent, huh?

As to fixing Wiodows boot, that was a last ditch attempt to save my saved games. Now I habe to mess around to restore them.

I'll put back everything today, and report where it takes me.

PS: Is it safe to use a blower on a PSU?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 6:53pm
I still think power had something to do with it but I am stubborn so I will give it to ya Embarrassed

_, . '__ . 
          '_(_0o),(__)o().
        ,o(__),_)o(_)O,(__)o
      o(_,-o(_ )(),(__(_)oO)_
      .O(__)o,__).(_ )o(_)Oo_)
       o/'"`\/'"`\/'"`\/'"\O_)0 
        |        || ASRock ||      |,_) 
        |\___/\___/\___/\__ |o(_)
  .----|"\/'"`\/'"`\/'"`\/'       |_/`)
 /  .--|  ||       LAGER     ||   |O_) 
|  /   |_/\___/\___/\___/\_|
|  |   |/'"`\/'"`\/'"`\/'"`      |
|  |   |        || ASRock ||      |
|  |   |\___/\___/\___/\__ |
|  \   |  "\/'"`\/'"`   \/'"`\/"  |
 \  '--|  ||      ||      ||      ||  |
  '----|_/\___/\___/\___/\  |
        |/'"`\/'"`\/'"`\/'"`      |
        |    ||        ||      ||      |
        \___/\___/\___/\__/
         `"""""""""""""""'
jsarath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsarath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 3:26am
I finished reinstall of windows and subsequent updates. They system stayed up all through this, no sign of abrupt shutdowns. I still have it assembled on breadboard mode, which means evrything is on my desk.

Tomorrow I will move evrything into the case, and add the remaining hard disks.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 6:38am
Originally posted by jsarath jsarath wrote:

Tomorrow I will move evrything into the case, .....

Remember, under the motherboard there should be one standoff per mounting holes in the motherboard. Nothing more, nothing less.

Speaking of cases, if you mention it previously my bad, just what case are you using?

Too, look at the leading edge of any PCI(e) cards that there is no unusual kink/bend in them. They should drop into the case easily w/o the need to wiggle them into the cases retaining, um ... opening.

I'm gonna tip my cup and guzzle before this next part lest ol' Xaltar here tries Indian giving his brewskie he bought me back.

Possibly shorting in.on against something in the case? But you stated earlier this build was 9mos running w/o this issue Wacko

Have or did you just recently add anything to the system that now, breadboarded, isn't installed?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic