ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X99 Extreme 4 | Turns off immediately after power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Extreme 4 | Turns off immediately after power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsarath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 Extreme 4 | Turns off immediately after power
    Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 3:11am
I have an Asrock X99 Extreme 4 that has been in service for over 9 months without an issue. It is paired with an Intel 5820K and Crucial Ballisitcx BLS2K8G4D240FSA (2x8 GB).  Graphics is handled by EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ . All these are powered by a Seasonic SS 520GB PFC F3.

While I was watching a saved DVD video from my local harddisk, the system just powered off - no BSOD, no thermal warnings. It just died.

My subsequent attempts to power on the PC failed. Each time I pressed the power button, the fans would spin for a few seconds and then power down. 

In the process of troubleshooting, I took everything apart. When I breadboarded the system (CPU+Cooler+Mobo), I got 3 long beeps, indicating missing RAM. When I added a single RAM in Slot A1, it then gave me 10 short beeps (this is before POST, and means missing/undetected VGA). After adding the graphics card and hooking it up to a monitor, I was able to see the boot screen (I cleared the CMOS in between as well). I went into BIOS, browsed around for about 10 -15 minutes and boom.. it powered off again. 

Everything was idle for about 2 hours while I cleaned the whole thing, so that idle period seems to have bought me about 15 minutes of power up time. I am at a loss to see what else would go wrong. I breadboarded on a non-conductive surface. The only component left to detach is the CPU & Cooler.  Any suggestions / guidance you can give is much appreciated.

Regards, J. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 3:17am
If at all possible I would try another PSU with the system. Random shut offs like this most often are power related. Even the post beeps could be caused by bad/fluctuating power. The 2 hour rest period and subsequent 15 mins of normal function also fit with a damaged PSU.  My guess would be one or more damaged caps in the PSU. Seasonic are great units but not immune to issues, your unit looks to be a solid fit with your system so if it is the culprit it is most likely to have been caused by a power surge.
jsarath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsarath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 3:18am
Forgot to add: Currently disconnected everything and put for clearing the CMOS by battery removal method.

BIOS: The default (sticker on the BIOS chip) is v1.50) and I don't remember updating the BIOS - there was no reason to. I also tried switching to backup BIOS, but same problems. 

Regards, Jithin
jsarath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsarath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 3:23am
Thanks Xaltar for the quick response. 

The PSU is the only component other than my HDDs that I retained from my previous build. I have a power supply tester that I bought off Amazon (generic Chinese brand) that shows the voltages as all green. 

But yes, given the circumstances, I am edging towards another PSU - the only downside is that I don't want to plug in random ones lying around (for the sheer fear of blowing it up) and a good one will be expensive and cost me money.. I hope things are better tomorrow after the CMOS clear.

Regards, J
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 3:29am
If the unit was from a previous build I would be even more inclined to believe it is the issue. Random shut offs tend not to be related to BIOS issues, especially if the system was functioning normally and then suddenly just died. I would be very weary of trying to power up the system again with that PSU if I were you, if it is in fact damaged it could cause damage to your motherboard and other components. I hate to be the one to tell you that you will need to beg borrow or steal a new PSU but that is the short of it Unhappy 

The problem with PSU testers is that they put very little load on the PSU when testing and as a result often miss issues that would have been immediately evident under any kind of real load. A proper PSU tester puts varying loads on the unit and tests thresholds and variance and tend to cost a pretty penny, a cheap modular tester like the one you mentioned is only really useful in determining if the unit will power up or not and is delivering it's rated voltages in a near 0 load scenario. 
jsarath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsarath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 4:16am
Yeah, I agree. I don't want to risk it. Did some quick research and Amazon.in (I'm now in India) has Corsair RMx Series RM750X  available for delivery in a day. It's about $160 here, but the rest of my equipment are equally expensive. :)

I have everything laid out in my spare bed and look like my brother would have to hit the couch until I get the build back together .. LOL

Thanks, J
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 4:45am
Good luck, hopefully nothing else was damaged Ermm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 7:38am
Originally posted by jsarath jsarath wrote:

While I was watching a saved DVD video from my local harddisk, the system just powered off - no BSOD, no thermal warnings. It just died.

My subsequent attempts to power on the PC failed. Each time I pressed the power button, the fans would spin for a few seconds and then power down

In the process of troubleshooting, I took everything apart. When I breadboarded the system (CPU+Cooler+Mobo), I got 3 long beeps, indicating missing RAM. When I added a single RAM in Slot A1, it then gave me 10 short beeps (this is before POST, and means missing/undetected VGA). After adding the graphics card and hooking it up to a monitor, I was able to see the boot screen (I cleared the CMOS in between as well). I went into BIOS, browsed around for about 10 -15 minutes and boom.. it powered off again. 

Everything was idle for about 2 hours while I cleaned the whole thing, so that idle period seems to have bought me about 15 minutes of power up time.. 

Check your CPU temps.

Is where you're at in India have good stable power coming in off the pole? I'm not thinking this atm, but would still appreciate an answer as it could if bad power point to the PSU getting hammered input wise.

That repeated 15mins I read in your 1st post stands out to me as heat related.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 7:42am
And don't look at the temps in the BIOS but instead use that 15min window of opportunity to fire up HWMonitor or the likes and watch the temps like a hawk while you go about using it normally as you usually would.

They get too high shut her down.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 7:48am
Originally posted by jsarath jsarath wrote:

(I'm now in India)

If that means you travel with this computer that may even bolster my overheating thoughts on this.

Thermal paste(TIM) does not like to be jostled about.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic