ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z87 OC Formula Customize fan Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z87OC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z87 OC Formula Customize fan Problem
    Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 8:30am
Hi guys

I newly have problem with my Z87 OC Formula in Customize Fans, already was correct
CPU Fan 1(4-pin Connector) Customize just works on the 4-pin fans(PWM/RPM) and Customize none works with the 3-pin fans and also 3-pin fans stay on full speed even Silent Selected on the Bios!

CPU Fan 2(3-pin Connector) none work in Customize, only works by options (Silent, Standard, Performance, Full Speed)

Chasis Fan 1(4-pin Connector) it has the same problem similar the CPU Fan 1
Cha Fan 2, 3, 4 have same problem like the CPU Fan 2

I Changed the Bios version to any versions(Update, Upgrade, Downgrade) and Installed the Windows 7,8.1,10 and reassemble CPU(New CPU) & Ram but problem stands

I'm so confused, I think this is hardware problem

Does anybody have idea about it?

HW
Formula

Edited by Z87OC - 22 Jan 2016 at 7:56am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 8:45am
Out of curiosity, what fan(s) are you using, and where are each connected?

I've seen some chatter of manufacturers "claiming' PWM, but it turns out not all are "True" PWM in that sense.
Z87OC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z87OC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 2:42pm
I using of deepcool, enermax and xigmatek case fan and H80i GT Water Cooler, all connected to Cha Fan 1,2,3 except water cooler, it is connected to Cpu Fan 2 and I already said were true and this is problem newly.

Cpu Fan 2 cannot work in Customize the H80i GT pump and fan's

First Cha Fan 1 the trouble getting and respectively others

Edited by Z87OC - 22 Jan 2016 at 7:55am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Z87OC Z87OC wrote:

Hi guys

I newly have problem with my Z87 OC Formula in Customize Fans, already was correct
CPU Fan 1(4-pin Connector) Customize just works on the 4-pin fans(PWM/RPM) and Customize none works with the 3-pin fans and also 3-pin fans stay on full speed even Silent Selected on the Bios!
CPU Fan 2(3-pin Connector) none work in Customize, only works by options (Silent, Standard, Performance, Full Speed)
Chasis Fan 1(4-pin Connector) it has the same problem similar the CPU Fan 1
Cha Fan 2, 3, 4 have same problem like the CPU Fan 2
I Changed the Bios version to any versions(Update, Upgrade, Downgrade) and Installed the Windows 7,8.1,10 and reassemble CPU(New CPU) & Ram but problem stands
I'm so confused, I think this is hardware problem

Does anybody have idea about it?

The CPU Fan1 and Chassis Fan1 are both true PWM controlled fan connectors. They MUST be used with four pin, PWM fans in order for their speed to be controlled.

Three pin fans connected to four pin PWM fan connectors will run at full speed all the time and cannot have their speed controlled by a PWM fan connector, that is normal. We cannot use three pin fans on four pin PWM fan headers if we want to control their speed. They are not compatible for controlling their speed.

Many CPU coolers have four pin PWM fans supplied with them, including the standard cooler supplied with Intel CPUs. All modern Intel mother boards have at least the CPU Fan header as a four pin PWM header. 

Three pin and four pin fan headers are defined standards in the PC industry that have been used for many years. You can connect a four pin fan to a three pin fan connector, and control its speed, but three pin fans cannot be controlled by a four pin PWM fan header.

Sorry to say, but changing the BIOS version, or changing Windows version, or any hardware changes (except for the fans) will NOT change the way a four pin PWM fan header works.

The way these two fan connectors work has been this way for at least 10 years. There is nothing wrong with your mother board's fan connectors, they work by the defined standards of PC fans.

The CPU Fan 2 connector will change its speed along with the speed of the fan connected to the CPU FAN 1 connector. It is matched (as much as possible) to the speed of the CPU Fan 1. Since it is a three pin fan connector it can control a three pin or four pin fan, with the built in speed profiles for the CPU Fan 1, like Silent.

But if you try to use Customize and have a three pin fan connected to the CPU Fan 1 connector, the fan on the CPU Fan 2 connector will also run at full speed.

I don't know exactly what is happening with the fans on the Chassis Fan 2, 3, and 4 connectors. We need to know what models of ALL the fans you are using with this board.

Again, this is not a problem with your board, and you cannot change the way these fan headers basically work with a BIOS update, or anything else.
Z87OC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z87OC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 3:50pm
Thank you for your great explanation
You saying the CPU Fan 1 and Cha Fan 1 only can do Customize for 4-pin fan's not 3-pin fan's, it's okay BUT Cha Fan 2,3,4 why cannot customize for 3-pin fans?

I said already were correct and this is problem newly.

These are exactly my fan's and the connected to 3-pin Connectors(Chasis 2,3,4)

DeepCool
http://www.deepcool.com/product/dcoolingaccessory/casefan/2013-12/47_637.shtml
Xigmatek Fan
http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=52&type=specification
Enermax UCEV12
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enermax-Twister-UCEV12-120mm-Case-Fan-12V-0-25A-/350937480042

All Chasis 2,3,4 none works with Customize

Edited by Z87OC - 22 Jan 2016 at 7:57am
Z87OC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z87OC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 5:57pm
Anybody have no idea regarding Chasis Fan 2,3,4?

I wrote models of the fan's, I cannot Customize Cha Fan 2,3,4 based on CPU Temperature

Edited by Z87OC - 22 Jan 2016 at 7:55am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 6:34pm
Care to try something?

Can you set/adjust the 3-pin fans from within the Windows program Fan-Tastic EDIT that ASRock supplies?

Edited by wardog - 21 Jan 2016 at 6:35pm
Z87OC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z87OC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 10:09pm
For example I tested the Chasis Fan 2, you can see the result(CPU Idle, Pressure)

Edited by Z87OC - 21 Jan 2016 at 10:22pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 3:30am
I'm not sure how Customize is not working for you for the Chassis 2, 3, and 4 fans. I mean I don't know what is not working right for you. I have an idea why that I will talk about, but some other comments first.

The three fans you are using are fine and should work with your board's fan control software. I have a Z87 OC Formula board, so I know how it works.

In case you don't know, all PC fans do not work the same. Some fans will start spinning with only 5 Volts, others will need 7 Volts or 9 Volts before they will spin. There is no standard for how PC fans behave, they are all different in how slow and fast they can spin.

Since you have three different fans, each one will need to be adjusted for its own behavior.

In the FAN-Tastic Tuning screen you posted pictures of, there is a button you can click called Start FAN Test. I can tell you did not do that, since if you did you would see a Fan Speed (RPM) for each Fan Power %. This is what wardog was talking about.

For each fan, click on FAN Test. It will take a few minutes to run. You will hear the fan go to full speed and then slowly slow down. When the test is done, the fan will automatically run at full speed, that is normal. When that happens, click on the Apply button and your Customize settings will be applied to the fan. You should hear it slow down.

Let's look at your Customize fan speed settings for the Chassis fans. This is what one of my Customize settings looks like in FAN-Tastic Tuning:

CPU temperature is on the bottom (X-axis) of the graph, and Fan Speed % is on the vertical line (Y-axis). At 30C the fan is set to run at 55% of its full speed. At 40C it is set to 60%, at 50C it is 70%, at 60C it is 80%, and at 80C it will run at 100%.

Your Chassis Fan2 settings are, at 32C the fan runs at 25%, at 35C it is 53%, at 38C it is 75%, and at 41C it is 100%. So from 32C to 41C, the fan goes from 25% to 100%.

That's less than a 10 degree C difference between 25% speed to 100% speed. Is that what you really want that fan's speed to be?

The temperature differences are too close together, they need to be farther apart like I have mine in my picture. CPU temperature can change very quickly between 30C and 40C, up and down, over and over. The fan speed control does not have enough time to adjust the fan speed with that small difference between 25% and 100%.

I think you have the fan speeds set to closely together for all your fans. Try setting the fan speeds farther apart in CPU temperature, at least 10C for each fan speed change.

Do you need to have your fans at 100% at a CPU temperature of 40C? That is really not very hot for an Intel CPU. If you can tell us why you want to have your fans so fast at 40C - 45C, we might be able to understand how you want your fans to work.

Z87OC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z87OC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 7:39am
hi @parsec

I know and I tested anything, Already Chasis Fan2,3,4 the all worked fine in Customize but newly getting trouble.

I always put the temperature differences to 5 steps, Start from 32 to 52.

Yes I need but no in 40C because I do overclock the CPU, RAM, GPU Card for this reason speeds of fan need to the rapidly changed cuz warming up.

Now is my system in standard position not overclocked since I wanna show the problem to you.

I took a video regarding to this problem from my system and I removed the GPU Card for better showing.

I've selected Asrock Z87 OC Formula Just for the overclock and must work the anything finely.

I think this is hardware problem because I perform anything related to software, What is your idea?

Uploaded in iranian upload centers, their speeds not bad.

http://uplod.ir/aoiaoe94chb5/MOV1.mp4.htm

http://s6.picofile.com/file/8234640918/MOV.mp4.html

Indeed my asrock z87 oc formula has the warranty from asrock distributor

Edited by Z87OC - 22 Jan 2016 at 7:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic