ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bios Freeze on ASROCK H170 PRO4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierin79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bios Freeze on ASROCK H170 PRO4
    Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 7:16pm
Hello everybody,

I have noticed randomly freeze on this motherboard into the Bios/Uefi screen... 
I have tried all the version and all version have this bug, the last one version 1.90 is the worst...
In windows it is fine, never freezes.
Now i have flashed the version 1.60 that for me is the most stable, but occassionally it anyway freezes.

Anyone else have this issue?
Asrock please update the Bios on this Motherboard, i think it is a stupid bug...

Thanks in advance,
Br, P.
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 7:33pm
It has happened to me on my Extreme 7+ as well. Bios becomes unresponsive and must restart. Happens in all versions I have had.
Does not happen often but enough to be a pain in the but for sure.
pierin79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierin79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 8:31pm
Today I have seen ASROCK has released a new Bios for your Motherboard.
You can try with it...
I hope they will released a new one for mine.
Keep me update if this new release you will solve the issue.

Thank you.
Br, P.
pierin79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierin79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 10:15pm
Now I see in the ASROCK site that they have released a new BIOS also for my Motherboard... 
Ver 2.00
When I will come back at home, I will test it.
Br, Pierpaolo.
jcarlson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcarlson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 10:34pm
HI,

Same random freeze problem on my Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7, even with the last UEFI (v1.50).
Soft Brick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soft Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 10:40pm
Random freezing on my Z170 Pro4S bios too. Even with newly released 3.00 update.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 11:07pm
I find when I navigate my UEFI too fast I get the same freezing on my H170 Combo. Navigating more slowly and using the mouse rather than keys seems to avoid the issue entirely. My theory is that when you use keys to navigate rapidly the system tries to access all the presets of each setting you skip over. Given BIOS ROMs are not exactly fast it makes sense that this could cause them to hang. I wouldn't call it a flaw or a problem unless it is happening frequently or persistently in regards to a particular setting. If navigating more slowly does not allow for normal operation then something is wrong.

I used to speed through the BIOS back before UEFI and edit settings so fast most people couldn't follow what I was doing. Doing the same in UEFI causes issues, either brief hangups or hard locks. I suspect UEFIs have reached the point now where they need faster ROM chips in order to keep up with the complexity and sheer number of settings present in the modern UEFI.

If you are experiencing freezing in the BIOS without navigating rapidly then contact tech support directly with your issue. Please include your full system specs and the nature of the freezing so as to save both you and tech support time. 

Full system specs should include:

CPU: Brand, model and clocks (OC or not)
RAM: Brand, capacity and model
Motherboard: model and BIOS version
GPU: Brand, model and driver revision
Storage: Brand, capacity, model
PSU: Brand, model, wattage
Extras: any other add in device

With all this info, tech support should be able to better assist.
pierin79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierin79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 11:32pm
Ok, but for me, if the issue is still existing on all these motherboards we need an update to avoid it...

Edited by pierin79 - 22 Jan 2016 at 11:34pm
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 11:36pm
I have experienced it on all bios versions including the very latest already.  I have no idea what the cause is, be it a bug or maybe linked to what Xaltar has mentioned.

For myself I am reasonably sure that moving too fast in the bios is not the culprit. That it has been present in all bios versions to date leads me to believe it is something systemic with the bios.

I can go into the bios 10 times and nothing amiss happen, but it eventually will freeze and I have to reboot. Simply has not been enough of a hindrance at this point to mention but definitely an issue I think.

Edited by DooRules - 22 Jan 2016 at 11:36pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 11:43pm
I think you miss my point here, I have had no issues at all since I changed they way I use the UEFI. Things like holding down an arrow key to rapidly scroll down a list of options, flicking through settings rapidly etc. These things will cause issues in any UEFI. It isn't a question of needing to be fixed it is a question of using it correctly. It takes time to get used to after moving over from an older BIOS setup. 

I can freeze my UEFI purposefully but using it as it was intended to be used I have no problems. This means the system is working as it should. Just because someone is impatient and rushes through things does not mean there is a "fix" needed. As I stated in my previous post, we need faster ROM to prevent this. Faster ROM costs a lot more.

[edit] sorry missed a bit out

Now if the UEFI is randomly freezing, as you stated in your OP then there is a problem. So long as your issues are not caused by overly rapid navigation then you clearly have a problem that needs to be addressed. I hope this makes better sense.

Edited by Xaltar - 22 Jan 2016 at 11:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic