ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty Z170 gaming itx/ac wont post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:30am
100 series (ASRock) boards (H110, B150, H170, Z170, Q170) will all require a BIOS version of 7.0 or higher to support Kaby Lake CPUs. 99.99% of the time I see "failed to post on my 100 series board" this is the issue.

This information is clearly indicated in the CPU support list. I wish retail outlets would include this information on the product page.......

Edited by Xaltar - 03 Sep 2017 at 6:30am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by driwashsolutions driwashsolutions wrote:

Wow.  This is really crazy that this many people (Including me) are having the exact same issue with the ASRock Mobos...

So you are using a Kaby Lake processor in a Skylake chipset board, without the appropriate Kaby Lake compatible UEFI/BIOS version installed?

This is not an issue with the board, you are wrong.

Or is the purpose of your post simply to have the URL to your business in the signature area?

I'll give you a chance to reply, otherwise your post will be deleted.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

100 series (ASRock) boards (H110, B150, H170, Z170, Q170) will all require a BIOS version of 7.0 or higher to support Kaby Lake CPUs. 99.99% of the time I see "failed to post on my 100 series board" this is the issue.

This information is clearly indicated in the CPU support list. I wish retail outlets would include this information on the product page.......

Intel has been doing this for years, starting at least as far back as their six series chipsets (P67, Z68.) Others with the same situation are X79, seven series chipsets, the eight series, X99, some processors compatible with the nine series, and the 100 series chipset boards, as you listed.

Intel has never found a way around the need for an updated processor microcode to be installed in a UEFI/BIOS update to support the new generation processor, without using the original generation processor to apply that update.

Does Intel communicate this to the retailers? Do the retailers know and don't include the information on product pages, so they don't lose sales? I would not be surprised if they didn't do that for that very reason.

In the end, who gets the most blame for this situation, and is left to try dealing with it, while having zero responsibility for causing it? The mother board manufacture! Pinch
driwashsolutions View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driwashsolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 9:58am
I'm so sorry to offend all of the experts here on the board.  I'm not a computer expert by trade, and I don't understand how anyone is supposed to know that the board that I JUST bought from a large, well known supplier, has a BIOS that is several years old. 

I admit - I've not built a computer in over 5 years, and it wasn't that difficult back then.  Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but that's why I posted here for help.

All of the "help" from the experts certainly seems to be downgrading folks who are not "experts" or "geeks" - for not being one I apologize. 

That being said, I doubt that I will purchase any more ASRock HW - as I feel that I can't ask any questions here without being bashed.
John
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 12:56pm

I'm so sorry to offend all of the experts here on the board.  I'm not a computer expert by trade, and I don't understand how anyone is supposed to know that the board that I JUST bought from a large, well known supplier, has a BIOS that is several years old. 

I admit - I've not built a computer in over 5 years, and it wasn't that difficult back then.  Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but that's why I posted here for help.

All of the "help" from the experts certainly seems to be downgrading folks who are not "experts" or "geeks" - for not being one I apologize. 

That being said, I doubt that I will purchase any more ASRock HW - as I feel that I can't ask any questions here without being bashed.

You offended no person here that I can see, certainly not me, and I'm sorry if you feel you were bashed.

My explanation is simply a reaction to two things. First, to your statement about so many people, including yourself, having the same issue with ASRock mother boards. That post is now there for anyone to read, as if it is the truth of the situation. You now understand the situation, not caused by the mother board being defective or faulty, which is the only point of my explanation. I assume the "bashing" was saying that you were wrong. You had, to use your term, bashed ASRock mother boards, and I was simply defending them with the reality of the situation. I have no idea why you feel you were being downgraded. I won't take offense to being called a geek.

Second, by coincidence, your post in this thread was of the same style I've seen in other forum threads, saying simply I have this problem too, but then the post includes a link to another website whose purpose is only to benefit that person. It sure looked like a textbook case of that to me, and I commented on that. I later saw the thread you created about your X99 Extreme3 board, with details about the situation. I replied to you with a solution in that thread, and learned that you were serious.

X99 boards were in production before Z170 boards, the original topic of this thread. Your board was released in mid 2014. The last UEFI update was a year ago in 2016, and I doubt this or any other ASRock X99 boards are still in production. X99 and other Intel HEDT systems like the new X299 do not sell at anywhere near the volume of the other Intel Mainstream chipset boards, so it is not unusual for a retailer to have older stock of HEDT boards.

The situation of Intel releasing multiple generation "compatible" processors for a specific chipset mother board that requires a UEFI/BIOS update to operate has become increasingly common over the last few years. We deal with it all the time, and all the posts about how terrible the boards are has become increasingly frustrating. Intel and the retailers do nothing to warn customers, and the mother board manufactures are left to deal with it. Then whom receives the anger and threats of the customer? I do, the messenger, and the one that explained how to fix it.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 2:21pm

No one is bashing you. As Parsec said, our responses were in regards to your comment, not you personally. Please bare in mind that your comments are also seen by other forum users and posts in these forums also appear high up in google searches when users look for their respective issues. 

We could have simply deleted your post as it was inaccurate and gave the wrong impression to anyone reading it. Instead we chose to reply and provide answers. Any perceived bashing was not intended I can assure you. Our goal here is to help the community, not offend. 

As for the outdated BIOS issue, I completely agree with you, it is infuriating. As I said in my initial response, I wish resellers would at least include a warning in the product info. Many issues like the one you experienced could be avoided that way. Sadly ASRock can't be responsible for updating BIOS versions on products that are already in inventory or are on store shelves. Once it leaves ASRock it becomes the responsibility of the supplier to manage. Ideally I would like to see suppliers offer an update service, even if it is at a small fee, that would open a popup when anyone purchases a product like this that may not work without an update.  

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings/ill feeling. Again, I can assure you no one was intentionally being offensive. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic