ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac HDMI 2 4K60 limited use issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac HDMI 2 4K60 limited use issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -HITMAN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac HDMI 2 4K60 limited use issues
    Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:40am
Hi,

Just built a new rig with the title MB and I find that the HDMI 2 port output is very limited regarding Bluray movie playback...

Dolby digital / Dts is the only working audio - no high definition formats like TrueHD/DTS-MA pass to my AVR.

Audio only works when the main movie is playing, trailers/ADs have no audio.

1080P 3D doesn't work.

DP and HDMI 1 work fine.

Will there be a fix to these issues, so I can switch between 4K60/1080P3D with full audio?

Thanks.

Edited by -HITMAN- - 29 Jan 2016 at 6:41am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 8:05am
Not sure really here as I have a dedicated BD player.

Take a look at the below page and see if it'll help:
http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=297

In the meantime I'll rattle parsec's cage and hopefully get his attention focused here to maybe offer some of his audio expertise.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 5:02pm
Obviously using the Intel integrated graphics.

What CPU are you using? Intel graphics driver version?

Specifications from your board's product page:

Supports HDMI with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 24Hz / (3840x2160) @ 30Hz (on HDMI1)

Supports HDMI with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 60Hz (on HDMI2)

Due to chipset limitation, the Blu-ray playback of Intel® HD Graphics is only supported under Windows® 8 / 8 64-bit / 7 / 7 64-bit

Intel® InTru??3D is only supported under Windows® 8 / 8 64-bit / 7 / 7 64-bit.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming-ITXac/?cat=Specifications

Given the specs, the two HDMI outputs are not equivalent in their capabilities.

HDMI 1.4 cables are required for passing the audio and video.

We need to know what CPU you are using to determine what video capabilities it has. Your OS and version is also significant.

-HITMAN- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -HITMAN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 5:53pm
Thanks guy's,

@parsec

OS Win 8.1 x64

I have a i7-6700 CPU (Intel iris 530 gpu), yes I know the ports are spec'd slightly differently and I have the lastest drivers installed using the latest ASRock shop download/update utility.

Whatever resolution I use on hdmi 2 I can only get Dolby/Dts working as above, I have hdmi 2.0 spec'd cables, Avr and LG 4K OLED TV, I can get 4k60p fine, just as above no 3D with 1080p or HD audio.

Current workaround I have - is hdmi 1 and 2 are now connected to my AVR and I have to switch between HDMI 1 for 1080p and 3D with full hd audio and HDMI 2 for 4K60p but with the limited Dolby audio, which is not ideal.

Thanks.

Edited by -HITMAN- - 29 Jan 2016 at 6:05pm
-HITMAN- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -HITMAN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 5:17am
Well just to update, my workaround was short lived and basically everything broke :(

Lost Audio sync - no audio
3D started acting weird that camera changes produced a blurry flicker, like it was out of sync - unwatchable
Normal bluray playback - loss of HD audio - out of sync normal audio

I have now removed the HDMI 2 connection from my avr and hope I can at least get bluray/3d with in sync audio.

I'm going to try swapping outputs around to see if I can just get 1080/3D working right.

My setup is 2 displays in extended mode, 1 Dell 24" display I use for web browsing and my other is a TV as above set as extended for bluray etc...

I hope the drivers get sorted out as it's currently crippled to use HDMI2 as part of my setup :(

Edited by -HITMAN- - 30 Jan 2016 at 5:45am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 2:21pm
That is disconcerting. Drivers typically do not "get worse" unless new software was installed that conflicts with it. If no new drivers/software were installed on the system then it may be hardware related. My first stop would be to clear CMOS, possibly both by jumper and battery removal and see if default settings make any difference. Failing that you may want to remove and examine your CPU and socket for bent pins/defects.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 3:28pm
Wagging a finger at neither the board or AVR, what model is the AVR you're using?

Also, what brand and length of HDMI cable(s)?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 3:35pm
What are you using software/program wise to play back BD content?

Is this direct from a BD disc inserted, or "ripped' digital BD content residing on a HDD/SSD?

If ripped, what container is it in, and maybe what version was used?
-HITMAN- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -HITMAN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 2:27am
Thanks Guy's for the help, really appreciated and has help'ed a lot to sift through everything to eventually finding the issue...

Ok.
Nothing wrong hardware wise, I checked in any case just to rule it out and no issues found.

After extensive checking and testing, i managed to find the issue that keeps breaking sync wth 3D and Audio.

I've found the intel display driver causing the issue as follows...

Intel display settings for the secondary display (4Ktv) for 3D is set to 1080p 23hz (Display port output), now the issue is with the setting for "scaling" for this output.

Scaling is set to - maintain display scaling, saved as a profile and then I play a 3D movie, TV detects 3D and goes into 3d mode and all is perfectly fine!

However if I stop the 3D movie, the display automatically switches back to 2D, the intel display driver settings also changes itself for scaling from "maintain display scaling" to "maintain aspect ratio" and this is the break issue.

If I then restart the 3D movie all is broken and 3D is a blurry on movie camera changes, audio issues occur as above.

If I change the scaling setting within the intel display driver back to "maintain display scaling" (by selecting the saved profile I did earlier) - restart the 3d movie - all is well again.

So it looks like the transition from 3d back to 2d is causing the display driver to change it's scaling settings behind the scenes to "maintain aspect ratio" and breaking 3D.

So need a fix where the display driver keeps it's settings, I don't know how to go about this, ASRock support ticket or direct with Intel??

For clarity i'm using the following software/s and have an Onkyo 646 4K hdmi 2.0 AVR.

Powerdvd 15 ultra as the external player,
Daemon tools for ISO loading into a virtual rom drive
Emby WMC integration /emby server to load iso movies from a NAS (emby uses PDVD as the ext player)
OS win 8.1 with windows media center addon
(I have tried tons of software and the above setup is the fastest iso loader I have manage to put together).

(Just to update the hdmi2 side of things, I tried direct to my AVR - main 4k display and no other display connected to the PC and confirm as reported earlier - no 3d, no hd audio formats, just up to 4k60 with Dolby/Dts only with this connection).

Edited by -HITMAN- - 31 Jan 2016 at 2:28am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 4:54am
Definitely Intel themselves. If it is a bug you discovered they, Intel, will need to address it in all future releases.

ASRock doesn't make nor create any component drivers themselves, instead relying on component manufacturers for the onboard devices found on their download servers.

A BIOS issue is addressable by ASRock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic