ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z170, DDR4 2666, low memory bandwidth "scores"...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170, DDR4 2666, low memory bandwidth "scores"...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote propergol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 4:23am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

That is very odd. I assume you have no stability issues with the system and that it has passed stress testing with either Intel Burn in Test (IBT) or Prime95?

Those scores are sub DDR3 1333 and that should not be the case at all. It may be worth trying to reseat the CPU and checking for bent pins in the socket. 

Did you try setting the RAM speed to 2600 and testing again?
Also when you say same results do you mean DDR4 2133 (stock settings) and DDR4 2666 are yielding the same (or very close) scores?

Another quick question, are you on the latest BIOS for your board? I would avoid the one that disables Sky OC if you plan to overclock the system though.

When I discovered that slow mem issue my bios was already modded with latest OROM, EFI, microcode etc... based on the official Asrock 1.50 bios. Also my Intel MEI firmware was updated to the latest version aviable (v11.0.0.1202).
So I did revert to stock bios but nothing changed, the RAM speed was exaclty the same with moded or stock bios.
The only thing I can think of is the MEI firmware that stay updated even if I did flashed back stock bios.
I will try to downgrade it first, then check CPU socket.

During my tests I did run at least 3x24h Prime95 test, each run with different setting, and the mem intensive one with 14GB to be used.
So yes Tongue it is stable.

Edited by propergol - 07 Feb 2016 at 4:47am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 4:42am
Good so at least the system is stable. 

It may be worth running memtest and seeing if maybe the RAM itself has an issue.
propergol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote propergol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 4:57am
What is very strange is this low mem read/write while CPUZ, AIDA, HInfo etc...report correct timmings, speed and so on.
When you look at Asrock Z170 bios updates changelogs there are a lot of "Improve DRAM compatibility"...
Maybe it could be a bios issue even if my RAM sticks are listed as compatible.

Anyway, will stop here for today and restart debugging tomorowTongue
propergol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote propergol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 11:12pm
Ok, after some chat with Plutomaniac from www.win-raid.com it appear that it would be very unlikely that my MEI firmware's update would be responsable of my slow system memory.

So...next thing I did try is to bench my RAM not under Windows 10 pro but from a live Linux USB : exact same results, my memory bandwidth is as low as Windows tests.

I now realy think that it is simply a Asrock bios compatibility issue with this RAM.

Since it would probably take ages before Asrock acknowledge this compatibimity issue, I will purchase a new kit to test and confirm.

Do you know of any particular 16GB dual channel kit that is 100% known as tested/working on the Z170 Asrock mobos? I would like (if possible) it to be rated @ 1.2V and avoid 1.35V kits, 2800MHz max (higher freq are ridiculously expansive).

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by propergol - 07 Feb 2016 at 11:28pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 11:45pm
Well my board is the ASRock H170 Combo and the RAM used in the benchmark I provided is:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2800 2x4gb CMK8GX4M2A2800C16R

It wasn't overly expensive and even at 2133 performs quite well. Given my board is H170 based I do not have the option to run it at it's rated 2800 speeds. Generally if a kit is compatible with one board in a series it should be compatible with them all.
greddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote greddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 12:15am
ASROCK Z170 has a problem with HYPER X FURY 2666

I have Z170 PRO4 and found out the same problem as you. Half score mem bandwidth

I tried to go back to first BIOS v.  and found that it worked  for PRO4 is v.2.00 (now v.3.10)

but if i go back to this v.  it has a problem with RAM slot A2 and B2 which it was fixed on the higher v.

So i've to put just only one RAM and open XMP profile and shut it down then i can go on Dual channel.

AIDA64 test is normal. Asrock tech, you guys should check this immediately!!!!!!!!!.

You may tried on BIOS 1.10 that should be okay.

Edited by greddy - 08 Feb 2016 at 2:23am
propergol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote propergol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 12:27am
Originally posted by greddy greddy wrote:

ASROCK Z170 has a problem with HYPER X FURY 2666

I have Z170 PRO4 and found out the same problem as you. Half score mem bandwidth

I tried to go back to first BIOS v.  and found that it worked  for PRO4 is v.2.00 (now v.3.10)

but if i go back to this v.  it has a problem with RAM slot A2 and B2 which it was fixed on the higher v.

So i've to put just only one RAM and open XMP profile and shut it down then i can go on Dual channel.

AIDA64 test is normal. Asrock tech, you guys should check this immediately!!!!!!!!!.

You may tried on BIOS 1.60 that should be okay.

Interesting!
My mobo is Z170M Extreme4 and the latest bios is 1.50 but if you face probleme with the same ram as me, I guess tha ball is in Asrock side.

I will try to see what only one stick gives in XMP profiles. What I can see now with 2 sticks looks correct but I will give it a try.

EDIT : @Xaltar
I did check your ram and it is sadly not on Corsair compatibility list nor on the Asrock one.

Edited by propergol - 08 Feb 2016 at 12:30am
greddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 12:34am
Hi there,
Yoy may try to go back down on  1.40  ----  1.30  ---- 1.10

and see what v. is working. Now i may look to sell this RAM and buy G SKILL RIPJAW V  instead.
propergol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote propergol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 1:32am
Flashed 1.40, 1.30 resetting CMOS each time : no luck.
I will try other brand and model :

-G-Skill F4-2666C15D-16GRR
-Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Thanks to Amazon for its free return Big smile

But that's definetly not serious from Asrock to list a memory kit as compatible when it is not...

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 1:59am
My RAM may not be on the list but it is tested and working in my system which is about as certain as you can get that it will work Wink I mentioned it because it was reasonably priced, is 1.2v and performs well in my system. Given that there is now a second user with a similar issue, again with Kingston I would go for a different brand on the RAM. You will likely be best off with something on the supported list so you can be certain that if there is still an issue it is not compatibility related on the new kit. The kit I am using works fine for me in my setup though and I can vouch for it's reliability and performance but that is on an H170 board not a Z170 so take it as you will Wink

Kingston is one of the brands purportedly compatible with the "DDR4 OC" feature so I have a suspicion that may be where the problem is coming from. Do you have a "DDR4 OC" option under OC tweaker in your BIOS? It should only appear when a compatible RAM kit is installed in the system. If you do try testing the different settings it has available and see if that fixes your issue.

I should have remembered DDR4 OC before Embarrassed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic