ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X299 Steel Legend M2 Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdscogin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X299 Steel Legend M2 Issue
    Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:28am
I was able to install the M.2 on the short side of the U. But when I try to take the other side off, it does not seem to come up. It's the part that has the "Steel Legend" logo that lights up. I tried pulling on it pretty hard, and it did not budge. I need someone that has installed the second M.2 to tell me if I should pull harder.
JD Scogin
The_Nephilim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Nephilim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:08am
well it should be on an angle when inserting it and removing it and it should not be too hard to pull it out..

perhaps you inserted it wrong?
jdscogin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdscogin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:16am
I am sorry, I guess I did not explain it too well. It's not the SSD I can't remove. It is the heat sink cover.
JD Scogin
The_Nephilim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Nephilim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:36pm
Well you might have put it on the wrong way or a clip is holding it or something.. I would be carefull
jdscogin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdscogin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:34pm
I talked to a friend and he said that it looked like there were 3 screws holding the heatsink. Maybe there is a screw that is covered by the label? Hmmm
So when I got up this morning, I took the computer apart again and looked at the heatsink cover.
There was absolutely no screw covered up. So I put my fingers behind the heatsink where it shows a screw might be.
I did find something sticking up from the motherboard to the heatsink cover.
I put a finger on both sides of it a pulled a little. The heatsink cover popped right off.
The SSD is installed and I now have 2 TB in my new computer.
I can see now what the drawing was trying to say. Not obvious at all.
There should be a note in the book that explains that better.
Anyway, issue solved. I hope anyone else with this issue will read this and save them a lot of time and anguish.
Thanks for all who replied.
JD Scogin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic