ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock p67 pro 3 error code 62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G_Kelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock p67 pro 3 error code 62
    Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 4:23pm
So i got a second hand 7870 to replace the gtx 560 that i was using and i was thinking no problem ill jsut install the nvidia drivers and the install the 7870 and be good but i was wron when i press the start button it goes through all the debug codes like normal until it gets to 62 then in freezes i know that debug code is something to do with the southbridge runtime process is there any way to fix this btw i have tried clearing the cmos all 3 ways using only 1 stick of ram and i even tried different bios and i still get the same error.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 4:50pm
What BIOS version are you using? The reason I ask is because the latest states "Improve VGA Compatibility" which adds support for newer GPUs. 

Before you go updating the BIOS read below carefully.

BIOS updates for Sandybridge boards to add Ivybridge support have been known to be problematic if the correct steps are not followed exactly. This is not a problem if you are using an Ivybridge CPU as that would mean the potentially problematic update is already in place. Once that update has been performed all subsequent updates will behave as normal. If memory serves the update process is 2 fold and will continue after the initial flashing stage on the next boot. Removing the flash drive containing the update or powering off the system prior to the second phase completing will brick the BIOS. If you do choose to go ahead with an update and you are using a Sandybridge CPU you must keep this in mind. Use instant flash with the update saved to a fat32 formated flash drive and do not remove the drive or power off the system until it has successfully passed the post process and begun loading the OS. I would recommend allowing it to boot into the OS then restarting at least once from within the OS before powering off the system just to be safe.

Scary as all this may sound the reality is actually pretty simple, the update in question updates 2 elements of the boards functionality requiring a restart between the 2 stages, interrupting between the 2 stages is what causes the issue.

Now all this is moot if you are already using an Ivybridge CPU, in which case go ahead and update to v3.30 if you have not already. It is always wise after an update to allow the system to fully boot before removing the flash drive containing the update or shutting the system down however Wink Users who follow that basic precaution never encountered the issue I mentioned above.
G_Kelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G_Kelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 2:44pm
Im still using a sandybridge i7 and cant for the life of me find the instant flash 3.20 bios download. The only option from the asrock website for my motherboard is to update through widows(via .exe installer) and its kind of aggravating for me to try to figure out how to create a bootable usb for the bios ( i have never had to do this before so im kind of a noob at it ) and i dont have the money to take it to the local pc shop to get it working so is there any easy way to create a bootable usb for the bios update 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 2:53pm
I can download the instant flash version but for some reason it is not listed on the download page. ASRock usually takes things down for a reason so to be on the safe side I guess you can try the windows flash. Just be sure to follow the instructions.

What BIOS are you currently running? If it isn't 3.10 or greater then you may need to flash to 3.10 first and then to 3.30.
G_Kelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G_Kelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 3:56pm
i was running 2. something then i got the 3.10 like you suggested then i got the 3.30 and folowed all steps and i m still getting the same error and from what i have found error code 62 is pretty common with the p67 pro3 after updating the bios to 3.10 and above

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 4:45pm
Ok so I have done some poking around on this issue and it seems there are a lot of posts out there about it. I will reiterate some of what I found here for you to try.

1. You have switched from Nvidia to AMD on the GPU, some threads suggest that not removing the old drivers correctly can cause a 62 post code. Try booting off the old GPU and using DDU (display driver uninstaller) from safe mode. Not sure how this could cause a post code error but I found the same info in a few different places so it's worth a shot. In all honesty though I would just try disconnecting the HDDs and see if it posts without one.

2. Have you tested the new GPU in another system or otherwise know for sure that it is working? You can try cleaning the contacts on the GPU and blow out the PCIe slot with some canned air. If the old GPU had been in the system for a long time it is possible some dust may be causing poor contact.

3. Make sure no peripherals are connected to the system, apparently some USB devices can cause the 62 post code in conjunction with certain GPUs.

The BIOS version should remain on 3.30 as it will have maximum compatibility for your setup.  I am afraid this list isn't as helpful as I would have liked Embarrassed

Good luck
G_Kelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G_Kelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 4:13am
do you think that it could be my psu (antech tp3 550w) i read a forum post saying that a psu that isnt able to supply enough power could cause this problem. That being said my psu has 18amps on the 12volt rail and the 7870 requires at least 23amps on a 12volt rail do youthink that this could be the issue
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 4:38am
At this point I would try and verify that the GPU actually works. You stated that it is second hand so it is possible that it could be dead/faulty. The power supply could be the culprit yes but I think you should verify the GPU is working before you replace the PSU.
roast79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roast79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 5:12pm
Am having the same problem, dr Debug 62,

It was working fine one day, then yesterday nothing

I have a z170 / 6600k / 16 gig ram and nvidia 980 ti, 250 ssd am running bios 1.20.

I have email ASrock and they gave me the link to update, but my system crashes just gets a black screen.
I have to go into my bios B and copy B>A.

It is getting so frustrating.

Edited by roast79 - 11 Feb 2016 at 5:12pm
G_Kelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G_Kelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 11:11pm
I'm actually in my way right now to get the card tested. Hopefully I didn't buy a bricked card but for $22 I couldn't pass it up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic