ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fresh Windows install with RAID on X399 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibullard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh Windows install with RAID on X399 Taichi
    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 8:23am
Motherboard:
X399 Taichi

I successfully installed Window 10 a few years ago with two NVMe drives using ASRock's AMD RAID driver ver:9.00.00.088. Today I tried to upgrade those two drives and install Windows from scratch. Eight hours later I've given up because while the previous install still works, installing from scratch is completely broken.

Things I tried:

• Install using ASRock's RAID drivers using Windows 11 iso Nov 2021

• Install using ASRock's RAID drivers, using Windows 10 iso 21H2

• Install using AMD's RAID drivers using Windows 11 iso Nov 2021

• Install using AMD's RAID drivers, using Windows 10 iso 21H2

Then I repeated those steps with the following BIOS versions:

• 3.92 (beta)

From these tests, I think I can confidently say that the X399 Taichi's NVMe RAID is broken. While I can still boot my old setup, I cannot recreate that setup today with any other drive on Windows.

ASRock's drivers work as expected when installing AMD-RAID Bottom Device, but crash when installing AMD-RAID Controller. AMD's drivers don't seem to do anything at all. From this, I can only assume that ASRock needs to modify the AMD drivers to work on the X399 Taichi.

The last update to ASRock's drivers was over four years ago, PLEASE update them
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 9:01am
you have initialised RAID array on new drives?

Edited by kerberos_20 - 10 Feb 2022 at 9:01am
ibullard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibullard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 9:11am
Yes. I verified the BIOS settings for each BIOS install because they reset the settings then verified the RAID array was correctly set up in the RAIDXpert2 BIOS menu. During my first attempt, I even reset the BIOS to the default and then re-set all RAID related NVMe settings, recreated the RAID array in the RAIDXpert2 menu, and tried again.
ibullard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibullard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 8:27am
So, are there any actual ASROCK representatives on this forum or is this just a place where they let users complain and never do anything about it?
ibullard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibullard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 6:14am
Bump.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 5:11pm
Dear ibullard,
Thank you for the posting.

Please refer to the RAID Installation Guide from below link to create RAID Array and install the SATA Floppy during Windows installation to try.

RAID Installation Guide: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/RAID/X399%20Taichi/English.pdf

Thank you,

Best wishes,
ASRock TSD
Csosa3D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Csosa3D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 10:32am
Were you able to get this fixed? I'm running into the same situation where I'm loading the drivers and Windows is seeing my NVME Raid partition but will not allow me to install on the drive. It's saying it's not a bootable drive.

Asrock Taichi x399 with 1950x running P3.92.
millennium69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millennium69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 6:10pm
I can confirm the same. Fresh install is not seeing the raid but the drives are showing up separately.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millennium69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 6:11pm
These docs are not for this motherboard. Please advise.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millennium69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 8:58pm
Spent two days on this.
During the course of trying different things I had to flash the BIOS using the flashback button and port to 3.20.
I then used the AMD raid 930_00296 drivers during the Windows hard drive setup screen.
I had to load the \WIN10\x64\NVMe_CC\rcbottom
and the
\WIN10\x64\NVMe_CC\rcraid
drivers for the drives to show up in the raid config.
Upgrading the BIOS to 3.92 which is the latest as of this post worked, you just have to re-enable raid in the BIOS again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic