ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme4 not seeing RAM or HDD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPanic11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Extreme4 not seeing RAM or HDD
    Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 11:50pm
I am new to building computers.  I went to PC Part picker and order all my gear and put it together.  The second stick of Ram always gives me a 55 error code and the 4TB Hard drive is not shown it just makes a few annoying sounds (hums and clicks not beeps) and delays the start up.  I am running windows 10 and in disk manager it might be seeing it but its not initialized and wont do it (shows it as 0MB drive).

I have updated the motherboard to the latest BIOS driver and it still doesn't like the RAM.  Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.  
This is what I purchased:
CPU: Intel i5-4690 3.5GHZ quad core
Motherboard: ASrock z97 extreme4 ATX LGA1150
Memory: Mushkin ECO2 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial bx100 250GB 2.5" drive
              WD Red 4TB 3.5" 5900 RPM drive
Video cards: 2 Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB video card 2 way sli
Power supply EVGA Supernova NEX 650W 80+ Gold certified Fully modular ATX power
optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray
Operating system Windows 10 64 bit only
Wireless network adaptor: TP-Link TL-WDN4800
All in a NZXT Phantom 410 case

Again any help would be greatly appreciated
I don't always Panic but when I do I really do
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 12:48am
Welcome to the forums.

I will address the hard disk issue first:

The drive is larger than 3tb and therefore requires you to use the 3tb unlocker utility from your product download page. It can be found here at the top of the "utilities" section.

As for the RAM make sure you have the RAM installed in slots A2 and B2. If you are still getting an error try each module individually to rule out a defective module. If both sticks check out ok then you can try installing them in slots A1 and A2 (single channel mode) and see if you still get an error. If not then you can go ahead and update your BIOS to the latest version and try dual channel again. If you still cannot get both sticks to run in dual channel after this then you can contact ASRock tech support directly as it means that the RAM you purchased is not properly compatible with your board.
IPanic11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPanic11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 3:42am
Thanks for the information.  

I loaded the 3TB unlocker.  It didn't work, or I did something wrong.  Probably the latter.  I can see it in Disk Management but it shows Disk 1 unknown not initialized tried initializing it with both options that windows gave me.  No Joy.  This is a brand new drive which I have to format but I can not do it till I initialize it right?  Also I do not see it in boot up selection.

The RAM works in A1 and A2 not A2 B2 or A1 B1.  Not sure why that is but at least its a step in the right direction.  
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 4:33am
Is the hard disk recognized in the BIOS? If not then try it on another SATA cable and on different ports. It is possible the drive may be defective given your boot device is clearly working. 
IPanic11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPanic11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 7:41pm
Tried another cable did not fix the issue. I gave the hard drive to a friend to see if it works in his computer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic