ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatality z170 ITX / WONT POST / BLACK SCREEN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatality z170 ITX / WONT POST / BLACK SCREEN
    Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 1:36am

Just built this RIG on 03/19/2016

Everything went incredibly well at first, installed windows to the m.2 Samsung Pro drive without issues.

System booted the Balistic Ram x2400 MHz, I used this RAM only to get everything running then when my ram was delivered later Saturday afternoon I installed GSKILL TRIDENT 3200.

This RAM worked fine right away, set the ram in the bios to run at the 3200mhz from the defaulted 2400mhz , saved the changes, rebooted, and wanted to make sure the system seemed stable and I tried running Tom Clancy's The Division. The game performed perfectly, the system I don't even think heated up. I only played 20-30min tops. No system issues.

Sturned off the system at 3am Sunday, tried booting at around 4pm the following day, and nothing.

Black Screen - w/CPU COLLER AND FANS ON (I don't have a case speaker, so no sounds etc.)

What I have tested:

Clearing CMOS
Removed ALL USB items i.e. WIFI, kbm, and M.2. Tried booting 1 stick of ram (Same results)
Different PSU
Different sets of ram
Used 2 different sets to TS.

Going to reset the MOBO battery later when I get home. Any other suggestion, let me know, im dying without the new beast...

billmag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billmag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 9:21am
I don't have any help to offer, but oddly my Z170 Fatal1ty ITX just bricked in similar fashion. It is a new build as well, was working fine, I installed Ubuntu on it with UEFI boot and it and after finishing and rebooting it won't even power up. I'm about to post a thread on it. Anyhow, I had  updated to UEFI version 2.0 released 3/15 prior to the build - you might want to check your version.
EViL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 10:37am
Same, I updated first thing, prior to even installing windows because i read about issues booting with the M.2. I am going to start the RMA process i believe. I have a place down the street that will nail down for sure the bad part, the only things i havent tested were the board and cpu, well I dont know what else to do with BOARD. CPU shouldnt be too hard for the shop to test...

Good luck to you man, if you hear anything let me know! and Ill message you the same!

billmag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billmag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 11:16am
Removing the battery for 40 minutes brought it back to life. I still can't boot Linux reliably on the Samsung 950 though it just keeps rebooting
EViL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 12:33pm
Okay, I just popped mine out. I'll be gone all day tomorrow so that will be at least 23 hours.

EViL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 11:53pm
Asrock mod jumped in your post when you got up and running, but hasn't stopped by with a single word regarding the problems themselves.

Not very good service at all.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 12:08am
The "ASRock Mods" are not on any kind of payroll here, we are all community members such as yourself. These are community forums and while "ASRock_TSD" is in fact an ASRock Tech Support representative the forums are not a tech support service. 

If you want direct service you need to use the support form, the link is in the upper right hand corner of the forums on every page.

We moderators help where we can, it is something we do for the community but we do not have all the answers and only post when we have something useful to contribute. 

You never mentioned if the full CMOS clear did anything to resolve your issue. We can only help if in possession of all the details.  
EViL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 1:30am
If you need more details, you can always ask.

The 15-20min reset when I pulled the battery yielded no results.

I unplugged the battery again, it is still unplugged at this time since I am away at work. I will happily post back once that is done.

I guess its the routing of how you get here which made me think you were some sort of service support. When you click on support link on the as rock site and you get drivers, so I assumed the forums was service support, especially when its said Technical Support! Haha.

Either way, if your have anything to add, it is greatly appreciated.
EViL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 8:31pm
I re-connected the battery after 24 hours, same results.

From what I can tell, seems like MOBO.

Any other technical support available is greatly appreciated.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 11:23pm
At this point I would RMA. It may still be possible to get it to post again but if it isn't the UEFI then the issue may be intermittent and you wouldn't want that, especially if it is under warranty still. You mentioned earlier that you have access to a store that can test the parts for you so that may be the safest bet so you know for sure what to RMA.

Good luck. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic