FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170m PRO4S beep codes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 3:32pm
I mean remove the ASUS R9 380 Strix from the motherboard. If you did not build the PC yourself or are not comfortable playing with the insides of your case I would recommend you take it to a professional to avoid causing damage to your system unintentionally.

If you do try to fix it yourself then be careful when working inside the case. When you remove the R9 380 make sure you do not forget to unlatch the retention clip on the PCIe slot before pulling the card out, it should lift out easily. The retention clip is a white clip found on the PCIe slot itself, they can be tricky to unlock, especially with dual slot GPUs so be careful and take your time.

Edited by Xaltar - 26 May 2016 at 3:34pm
Cicca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cicca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 3:17pm
Thanks Xaltar.....
Do you mean "physically remove" the GPU from the processor....?! How to do that..?! Wacko
Forgive my hardware newbiness....I've been out of the scene for a while.... Unhappy
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 2:45pm
Try removing the GPU, clear CMOS and boot with the integrated graphics. Let us know what happens.
Cicca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cicca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 2:41pm
That's the full configuration:

MB ASROCK Z170 PRO4S socket LGA 1151 chipset Z170 ATX
Processore INTEL Core i3-6100 (Skylake) Dual-Core 3.70 GHz integrated GPU HD 530 Socket LGA 1151 boxed
ASUS Radeon R9 380 4 GB GDDR5 Strix OC Edition
2 x KINGSTON DIMM HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL15
HD SEAGATE Desktop HDD 2 TB Sata III 6 Gb / s 3.5" Buffer 64 Mb 7200 Rpm
Case ITEK INVADER R03 Middle Tower ATX

Graphic card is correctly power connected and apparently working (at least, light is on, and fans spin)....

Thanks a lot for any hint....
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 1:09pm
Cicca, can we get your full system specs please. 

If you are using a dedicated graphics card make sure you have it's PCIe power cables connected, if you do not that can cause post beeps that fall outside of the standard AMI codes.
Cicca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cicca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 3:44am
Hi all....I'm experiencing the same problem here.....3 long beeps (at least, they seem to be long enough....) during the POST...
I've read it should be a RAM problem related, but DIMMs (2 x KINGSTON HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL15) are brand new, as well as the MB, and the whole PC, just assembled....
According to this page:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Pro4S/index.asp?cat=Memory&Model=Z170%20Pro4S&Vendor=HyperX
the compatibility is ok (module is HX426C15FB/8), but I'm having the beeps regardless in which slots I put them in....
Could someone please help...?! Thanks a lot in advance...

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 11:43am
The AMI UEFI/BIOS on your board does not have a three long beep code.

If we assume it is a three short beep code, that is a memory problem. Here's a page describing the AMI beep codes:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

All DDR4 memory will default to a speed of 2133 or even less. The full speed of DDR4 memory that is over 2133 will only be applied with an XMP profile, or a manual setting of the maximum advertised speed.

The only reason you don't see a memory speed of 2666 in the specs of your board (and other Z170 boards) is that speed is based on a BCLK of 133MHz instead of the standard 100MHz. Your board's UEFI will have a 2666 listing if the BCLK is set to Auto in the DRAM Configuration screen.

Is the memory you have one of these models: http://www.gskill.com/en/finder?cat=31&prop_3=2666MHz&prop_4=0&prop_1=0&series=2481&prop_2=16GB+%288GBx2%29&prop_6=Dual+Channel+Kit

If it is, check the QVL list on each of them, you'll find your board on the G.SKILL list. So they should be compatible. If you check the specs, you'll see that the SPD Speed is 2133, the default speed.

You should be using the A2 and B2 slots with two DIMMs, as you have. Have you tried clearing the UEFI/BIOS when you moved the memory around? You should clear the UEFI whenever you change a memory configuration.

You are sure the memory is seated correctly? All to easy to make this mistake.

Have you ever had the board start to the point you can get into the UEFI/BIOS, or install Windows?

One possibility is bent pins in the CPU socket. The only way to check that is remove the CPU.

Sorry but I must ask, do you have a cable from the PSU connected to the 4/8 pin CPU power connector on the board?

Both DIMMs being defective would be unusual, but not impossible. G.SKILL have great customer service, if you need to use a different model of memory, they will likely trade that model for the one you have now. I'm using Trident Z memory in my ASRock Z170 board.

ahansen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahansen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 6:23am
My machine won't POST, has no image on screen, but has LEDs and fans spinning. I put in an on board speaker, and I get three long beeps that repeat. My question is, what does this indicate? The manual doesn't list any codes.

The PSU and VGA adapter are known good.

CPU is Intel 6600K, RAM is 2 x 8GB DDR4 2666 G.SKILL Ripjaws 5 modules. Interestingly, 2666 isn't listed as compatible but speeds lower and higher are listed. Could it be failed RAM modules or a speed this board can't handle? No sticks in the board produces the same 3 tones. Single sticks in any slot also produce the same tones.

Edited by ahansen - 23 Mar 2016 at 6:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic