ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broadwell-E HEDT Processors Coming Soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broadwell-E HEDT Processors Coming Soon!
    Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 11:50am
The successors to the Haswell-E High End DeskTop processor series, Broadwell-E, should be available pretty soon.

Yes, we all knew they were coming, but a sign that it won't be long is the first availability of UEFI/BIOS updates for ASRock X99 mother boards for Broadwell-E processors.

http://www.asrock.com/support/download.asp?cat=BIOS

As I write this, seven ASRock X99 boards so far have the UEFI file available for download, with the others to follow soon.

No hurry, as Broadwell-E processors are not available yet. Let's hope they aren't as scarce as Skylake i7-6700Ks were initially. Ouch
tylla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 9:36pm
Hi!

May someone can tell me that the asrock mobo-s can bios updated without processor? I bought an X99 extreme4 and i want an i7-6800K. But it has the older bios, need to update to 3.30 version for Broadwell-E. I don't want to buy a Haswell-E porcessor for update :D
Or should i just put in the 6800K, the mobo won't recognize it, but can be updated?
Thx for help.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 10:45pm
To the best of my knowledge there is no way to update the BIOS without the CPU or with an unsupported CPU. 

Basically you have 3 options:

1. If purchased from a physical store you can ask them to update the BIOS for you (usually they charge an additional fee)
2. Purchase a Haswell CPU that is on the compatibility list and update your BIOS then return it.
3. Go to here and order a BIOS chip for your new board preflashed to the version you need for $15 + shipping (it will probably work out cheaper than getting a store to do the flash for you) and then slot in the new BIOS chip. 

If you have a dual BIOS board you can then flash the new BIOS onto the backup BIOS then replace the backup BIOS with the original chip and flash that to the newest version too. Essentially giving you a spare BIOS chip should you ever need it.

I would personally go for option 3 as it will likely be the most painless.

Good luck

@Parsec

I can't wait to see some performance numbers on the new Broadwell 2011 CPUs as well as core counts etc. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 11:43pm
As Xaltar said, the UEFI/BIOS on any ASRock board cannot be updated without a CPU in the board. The board will not POST or work at all without a processor.

In the past, when updating the UEFI/BIOS to a version that is compatible with a new generation of processors, the new generation processor could NOT be used to update the UEFI/BIOS to the new version. If Broadwell-E is an exception to this, it would be the first time that has ever happened for a new Intel processor.

The list of options that Xaltar provided above are the only methods of updating the UEFI/BIOS to the version compatible with the new generation processor.

Xaltar, I am also curious about the Broadwell-E HEDT processors. We know that the top of the line Broadwell-E processor will be the first 10 core CPU that Intel has released that is not a Xeon.

The mainstream Broadwell CPUs are unusual, none are categorized as 'K' types. The performance of Broadwell-E processors will be very interesting to see! Shocked
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 12:01am
I guess we can keep this thread handy for performance figures become available.

10 cores on a non-Xeon CPU Heart gimme Hug
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 1:08am
Bam Broadwell Xeon review on Tom's.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 2:31am
... and on sale at Amazon... shipping date said to be the first week of April. (??) I hope not another Skylake-like launch, with availability questionable at best.

IMO, Broadwell-E might be... weird. Excluding Xeons, just the HEDT models.

I base that on the unusual nature of mainstream Broadwell processors. Very few SKUs, unusual types, 'R' and 'C', TDP-down frequency and TDP.

Unless Broadwell-E HEDT is HEDT as usual, which it must be, right? Pinch

One statistic from the Tom's review got my attention. Intel has 99% of the market for data center processors. Shocked

AMD, where are you?!?!?! Confused
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 2:33am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I guess we can keep this thread handy for performance figures become available.

10 cores on a non-Xeon CPU Heart gimme Hug

That would be nice. Wink

But what about a 22 core Broadwell-E Xeon... Shocked

Just sayin'  LOL
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 4:49am
I wouldn't know what to do with 22 cores/44 threads Shocked

I still remember putting together a quad Pentium Pro server back in the late 90s for a client that wanted "the best money could buy" and thinking what the hell could  they need all that CPU power for..... As it turned out, they didn't. What they ended up using it for could have been handled by a Celeron 300a LOL

freak77power View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freak77power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 12:48am
I flashed ASRock x99 Extreme 4 with updated BIOS and re-flashed it back to older 1.30 because power management in new bios is seriously broken. Windows is reporting lot of errors in event viewer regarding to CPU  core 0, core 1 and so on and broken power state.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme43.1/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

X99 Extreme 4 USB 3.1

Edited by freak77power - 07 Apr 2016 at 12:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic