ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AsRock B550M Pro4 Red light for CPU and DRAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrs011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AsRock B550M Pro4 Red light for CPU and DRAM
    Posted: 16 May 2022 at 11:32pm
AsRock B550M Pro4 I am getting a red light, and it shows on CPU and DRAM. All I did was switch cases.

I removed all the RAM sticks, put one back in each time, and it still did not work. I made sure the cable for the CPU is plugged in.

Computer boots up, but no display

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 2:32pm
Make sure you connected all the power cables correctly. The CPU needs to initialize
before the RAM can so if both lights are on then the CPU did not initialize.

If the system was working in another case then the most likely cause is you forgot
to connect the 8 pin power cable or connected the wrong one (should be a 4+4 not
a 6+2)
nrs011 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrs011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Make sure you connected all the power cables correctly. The CPU needs to initialize
before the RAM can so if both lights are on then the CPU did not initialize.

If the system was working in another case then the most likely cause is you forgot
to connect the 8 pin power cable or connected the wrong one (should be a 4+4 not
a 6+2)

You can delete this post. I was able to figure out my issue. Thank you.
obolli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obolli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 3:45pm
Hello, I have the same problem but my PC was working fine until I turned it to sleep mode yesterday, then after 2 hours the fan was on the power light and everything but nothing else would come on.
I just opened up the case and these two lights are red.

I didn't change any cabling, any idea what I should do?
I have this motherboard for about 6 months
obolli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obolli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 3:51pm
It turned on, after reading your post I tried (why not) to press in the dram chips a bit harder and now it turned on without issue.
Do you reckon there is anything I can do to prevent this from happening again?
I also imagine loosing dram just by chance can't be good for the CPU? The mobo and CPU are pretty new and I don't want them to break.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 11:42pm
Sleep mode can sometimes bug out and cause the system to enter an invalid power
state. Usually when this happens all you need to do is disconnect the power from
the wall, press the power button then let the system sit for 10 mins or so.
Then reconnect the power and power up the system. I suspect reseating your RAM
didn't do anything but powering down while you did it resolved the issue.

It shouldn't cause any hardware damage, it could be that you had a power fluctuation
while the system was in sleep mode that caused an issue. I have had that happen
on my own systems a few times, particularly when there are electrical storms in
my area.
pbland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 2:36pm
I have a similar problem. Yesterday I shutdown my pc and removed one of my GPU's in order to replace it with another GPU that is arriving soon. Next morning went to switch my pc on it was pulsing on and off. I then did some troubleshooting and reset the CMOS, reseated the CPU and RAM. But it is still pulsing. I then replaced the PSU with new PSU and still pulsing. I see that the cpu and Dram lights on the motherboard are pulsing. Once you switch off the pc, it does not switch on anyone. To get it on again I have to reset the CMOS again. I am in South Africa and we have something callled "load shedding" which the power company switch off power in areas according to a schedule to save electricity. I am wondering if the constant on and off from this load shedding has damaged my board?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 7:24pm
Try disconnect the system from power, pull the CMOS battery then press and hold the
power button for 3 - 5 seconds to fully discharge any residual power from the board's
capacitors. Leave the system like this for an hour then reconnect the battery and
power and try power up again.

Load shedding can fairly easily cause damage to components. What happens when
they turn the power back on is what is referred to as "inrush current" where there
is a brief spike of high AMP power before the voltage and AMPs even out and stabilize.
This can cause serious damage to a board, particularly if the PSU is a cheaper
unit with limited protections in place.

If a power protection on the board was triggered and didn't clear then the steps
I mentioned above should resolve the problem. If not there may be damage to the
system.
pbland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 7:46pm
I do have a good PSU (Corsair 850w)and I will try what you suggested. If that does not work, what next?
Jordex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 6:03am
I?™m having a very similar problem, where I am having both the CPU and the dram Lights on Tried everything I?™ve tried Receding my 8 pin, 24pin, GPU, CPU, ram even my sata cables and it fixed nothing and This happened while I was playing overwatch 2 My screen randomly went black, and then those lights were on and this happened will I was live streaming on twitch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic