ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRockX99 Extreme6, Win10+UEFI = Couldn't shutdown
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRockX99 Extreme6, Win10+UEFI = Couldn't shutdown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mbtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRockX99 Extreme6, Win10+UEFI = Couldn't shutdown
    Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 1:49pm
X99 Extreme6 - NEW EXPERIENCES every day Big smile
Today, I try to get into BIOS, but it couldn't start, only underscore "_" was showed at left-top corner. OS started normally, without any problematic symptoms.
On the support website is new version of BIOS 3.0 available, so I downloaded it and by "Instant Flash" updated (F6 at startup - this was functional).
Now I can say, that problem with disfunctional "Stand by" is removed - I discribe it in previous message. BIOS is also functional, I can run it. 
I really don't know, if exists some logical explanation for this issue. Hope, that new version of BIOS solve everything ...
mbtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 2:42pm
Thank you for all posts. I have new remarks about behaviour of "X99 Extreme6" and optimal settings:

- Boot -> CSM (compatibility support module) -> DISABLED
- Boot -> Boot option priorities -> Only "Windows Boot Manager"
- Security -> Secure boot -> ENABLED
- Boot -> Fast Boot -> "FAST"
- In Windows I have disabled (unchecked) option "Windows Fast Startup" - this is only way to having functional PC.

Another problem appears:

1.) Windows "Stand by" don't work. PC couldn't sleep - When I put PC to "Stand by", I logged of, monitors are turned off, but PC is still running. When I move mouse, "windows login screen" is appearing and I can work again. Windows seems to be slept, but all components in PC case still running. This behavior appeared after I disable (uncheck) "Windows Fast Startup".

2.) When I had enabled (checked) "Windows Fast Startup", there appeared problems with spontaneously awaking from "stand by mode", but very strange awaked mode of PC - PC was running but not respond, monitors were still turned off, I couldn't power off by button on PC case (or button on motherboard), I couldn't reboot by button on PC case (or on motherboard). I have only one chance - hard unplug from power supply. I don't have activated any function as "Wake over LAN" (in BIOS or Windows).

Edited by mbtech - 12 Apr 2016 at 2:45pm
Smagjus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smagjus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by mbtech mbtech wrote:

Some new features about my problem:
- PC run normally for less than 24 hours (after my written operations, with enabled "Windows Fast Startup").
- Today, PC has same problem with shutdown again, so I tried to disable Windows Fast Startup, and it works - this option has affect to funcionality of shutting down process.
- Also I tried to updating/rewriting BIOS to same version 2.10 again, and enabled Windows Fast Startup, it works too, but I don't know how long - I already made this method and it seems to be not permanently solution of this problem.

Please, do you think, that is normally for this motherboard, that I have to disabled "Windows Fast Startup" for correct funcionality ? Couldn't be some hardware problem and reason for claim ?

I have exactly the same problem with my ASrock X99 Extreme4.

Every time the problem appears (about every few months on average) I had to reset my Bios which should be the same as reflashing the Bios. However I found a workaround so I can keep my settings. The board has two Bios chips as feature and I use one as a backup. Every time the problem appears again I flip the hardware switch to the backed up Bios.

The strange thing is that I don't change anything in the Bios within those time spans so there may be an odd interaction between Windows 10 and the Bios. I don't think Windows can directly corrupt the Bios but who knows?

My current Bios is 2.0 as the Internet Flash feature only offered me a buggy inofficial version named P3.1.

Edited by Smagjus - 11 Apr 2016 at 8:32pm
GuruNot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GuruNot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 2:29am

- PC run normally for less than 24 hours (after my written operations, with enabled "Windows Fast Startup").
- Today, PC has same problem with shutdown again, so I tried to disable Windows Fast Startup, and it works - this option has affect to funcionality of shutting down process.
- Also I tried to updating/rewriting BIOS to same version 2.10 again, and enabled Windows Fast Startup, it works too, but I don't know how long - I already made this method and it seems to be not permanently solution of this problem.

Please, do you think, that is normally for this motherboard, that I have to disabled "Windows Fast Startup" for correct funcionality ? Couldn't be some hardware problem and reason for claim ?

This is an interesting article about the Fast Startup feature. I personally have left mine disabled after my initial issues.
Intel Core i7 5930K | ASRock X99 WS | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX 2.0+ | SM951 M2 NVMe | QPAD MK-85
DeathAdder Chroma | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | AX860i | Win 10 Pro x64
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 11:54pm

Problems with the Windows fast startup feature are not unusual, many people with many different kinds of mother boards and PCs have the issue and must disable fast startup.

Why the problem happens is not exactly known. Windows fast startup creates a file that saves certain information that this feature uses to work. By disabling this feature, I believe the file that is used is created again once fast startup is re-enabled. But the PC must be shutdown and started at least once for the file to be created again, when fast startup is enabled again.

Since fast startup is a Windows feature, that was introduced in Windows 8, if special UEFI/BIOS settings were needed, they would have been well known by now. Fast startup is a Microsoft/Windows feature, they are responsible for it but all they can tell someone is to disable it if it causes problems?

No, it is not normal for any mother board to need fast startup to be disabled. Many people have the same board as you, and don't have this problem. I have had the problem with shutting down the PC that was stopped by disabling fast startup on my ASRock X99 board, and other, different chipset boards. For me, installing Windows (8.1 or 10) solved the problem. Why you still have the problem, or why it comes back after a while (IF it does come back) is a mystery.
freak77power View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote freak77power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 10:12pm
Three possible problems you might have:
1. Cannot reboot
2. Cannot shutdown
3. Cannot boot computer from Raid setup

I experienced all three on two different ASRock Extreme4 board. 

Make sure you run latest bios. In case of Extreme4 it is 1.30.

There is a new 3.00 released supporting Broadwell-E but it is buggy, has serious issue with power management reported by Windows.

Make sure you don't mess up with USB3.0 settings.
Make sure you install Intel chipset drivers and Intel ME drivers provided on ASRock site. Whatever comes with Windows 10 does not work right.
This problem only shows up in garbage called Windows 10. Windows 7 is fine.

If you have a problem booting from Raid, unplug keyboard from USB3 port and plug in to USB2 or simply swap keyboard for time being until Windows is setup and Windows Boot Manager in place.

In some cases disabled fast boot can help too. I left it on.
mbtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 12:18pm

GuruNot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuruNot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 3:03am

Thank you. You think "Fast Boot" in BIOS ? It is disabled from begin.

No, I said Fast Startup, which is a setting in Windows. I put a  link In my response.

Not that it matters now as it seems you have resolved your issue. Which is good news.
Intel Core i7 5930K | ASRock X99 WS | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX 2.0+ | SM951 M2 NVMe | QPAD MK-85
DeathAdder Chroma | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | AX860i | Win 10 Pro x64
mbtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 5:38pm
Finally, I've found a solution !!! - I try to update existing updated firmware 2.10 to same version 2.10 again (but previously updating didn't fail, it ended by success), and everything works now.
I really don't understand, how could it help .... but helped ! 
So for everyone with similar problem ... updating, updating.
mbtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 3:57pm
Thank you for respond.

To notice about "funcionality in Legacy mode":
I try make a clean installation Win in legacy mode, and there is no problem with shutdown of Windows, it is happening only in UEFI installation.

I try all three steps/configuration methods, unfortunately nothing help. I make a video of shutting down process, where you can see the problem (there is Win10 installed in UEFI mode) - https://youtu.be/4AaLL282_78

I begin to be unhappy of this brand ...

Edited by mbtech - 05 Apr 2016 at 3:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic