ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AM5 ECC support£

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jekle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AM5 ECC support£
    Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 2:28am
Is there any news about ECC support for new AM5 motherboards? For memory modules like MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R.
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 7:12pm
Since the memory controller is integrated in the CPU, and not on the board, it would be best to ask AMD support.
Information on AM5 is still under NDA from AMD
Personally I think it should work, but AMD should be able to tell you
Kind Regards
jekle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jekle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 9:07pm
Seems so that no info yet but CPU support is only one part and historically AMD has quietly supported ECC on non-Pro CPU-s, the big question is that what motherboards have additional lanes and ECC related bios features (hopefully this time also bios level error and repaired bit log-s)
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:41pm
When the specifications for X670 boards were first listed, they all said, "Supports DDR5 ECC/non-ECC, un-buffered memory up to 6000+(OC)*"

When B650 boards got listed recently, NONE of their specifications mentioned ECC memory support.

In fact, even the X670 board specifications were changed to remove ECC support, and now they all say, "Supports non-ECC, un-buffered memory up to 6600+(OC)"

Looking through the WayBackMachine (archive.org) history for one of the boards (X670E Taichi), 2022-10-03 version says ECC support, but 2022-10-06 version no longer says ECC support.

When Wendell (of Level1Tech) did his initial review of Zen4, he said he tested ECC function on ASRock board by injecting errors, and it worked.

So what's going on? Is ASRock backtracking on this feature?

Every AM4 motherboard I bought are ASRock. That's 9 of them, including one ASRockRack board. If ASRock stops supporting ECC memory with AM5, I have ZERO reason to buy another ASRock motherboard.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:54pm
You will have to contact ASRock Tech support for an answer to that:

event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

If it has been removed it's likely due to something on AMD's end and may come back
with AGESA updates down the road. Out of curiosity, have you seen any other brand
boards still listing it? It is a bit odd if only ASRock pulled the info down.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Out of curiosity, have you seen any other brand
boards still listing it? It is a bit odd if only ASRock pulled the info down.

Yes, as soon as I noticed the changes in ASRock specification pages, I looked at ASUS page (because I already looked at one of theirs before), and it still says, "ECC and Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory*" for ROG STRIX X670E-I GAMING WIFI

Note ASUS has always limited ECC support to their top-range models, whereas ASRock generally supported ECC on their entire range. I didn't look for other models, as I'm generally only interested in Mini-ITX boards (for small server builds).
SkyBeam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyBeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by eccential eccential wrote:

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Note ASUS has always limited ECC support to their top-range models, whereas ASRock generally supported ECC on their entire range.

Things might have changed. On ASUS tech specs for their currently most-bare PRIME B650-PLUS board the memory support is listing the same statement as for all the other boards:

[quote=ASUS]4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR5 6400+(OC)/ 6200(OC)/ 6000(OC)/ 5800(OC)/ 5600(OC)/ 5400(OC)/ 5200/ 5000/ 4800, ECC and Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory*

Of course this might be wrong and just not updated to AMDs latest guidelines and AGESA support.
Also you need to be careful as some manufacturers are listing DDR5 to be always ECC-enabled as DDR5 is featuring some On-Die ECC. Of course this does not replace real ECC support including scrubbing and reporting functionality. So it just became harder to get real ECC support and we might have to wait for someone to report results of real tests.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by SkyBeam SkyBeam wrote:

Also you need to be careful as some manufacturers are listing DDR5 to be always ECC-enabled as DDR5 is featuring some On-Die ECC.

I don't think that is what ASUS is doing because they explicitly explain the difference.

Their specifications say, "ECC and Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory*"

And later in the same page, they have the following explanation for the (*):
"* Non-ECC, Un-buffered DDR5 Memory supports On-Die ECC function"
SkyBeam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyBeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by eccential eccential wrote:

[QUOTE=SkyBeam]
I don't think that is what ASUS is doing because they explicitly explain the difference.

I fully agree. My statement was more towards vendors of memory modules (online shops) which might list DDR5 Non-ECC modules in ECC section or (like my supplier) statting "ECC: Yes" for modules which are clearly Non-ECC (but of course have DDR5 On-Die ECC as it is simply part of the technology).

Still the question remains if ASUS does support ECC across all mainboards and ASRock somehow dropped the support. Or (most likely) ECC will work on both but ASRock does not want to provide official support for it including troubleshooting support so they claim it's "not supported".
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 7:03pm
Unless Gigabyte "unlaunches" MC13-LE0 and MC13-LE1, the existence of these boards prove that AM5 and Ryzen 7000-series support ECC memory, so what AsRock is doing is more perplexing than ever.

Maybe they decided late to only support ECC memory on AsRockRack boards....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic