ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Taichi crashes / reboots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdtv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 5:14am
Ok something I noticed is when I ran cpu z it would often hang on hard drive scan at 65%...It said hmm DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE which could be number of things but ok why was cpu z crashing in that instant every time...So I said ok let's change the power state of the hard drives, they were set to sleep or go idle. So I changed every drive to never sleep.

My system now hasn't crashed once in 20 hrs straight, by far longest it's went since I installed the motherboard driver set from asrock. Again this never happened a single time when I had pc for the week , it only started after I installed asrock board bundle of drivers.
Octavean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octavean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 7:18am
Originally posted by hdtv00 hdtv00 wrote:

So I said ok let's change the power state of the hard drives, they were set to sleep or go idle. So I changed every drive to never sleep.

My system now hasn't crashed once in 20 hrs straight, by far longest it's went since I installed the motherboard driver set from asrock. Again this never happened a single time when I had pc for the week , it only started after I installed asrock board bundle of drivers.

Setting drives to never sleep? Worth a shot IMO. I?™ll try it.

BTW, I?™ve tried a couple of memory tests but the one failed. That would be the built in Windows Memory Diagnostic tool (Windows 10 / Windows 11). To use the tool hit Windows Key+R then type ?œmdsched.exe??   Different tools, different results I guess but given that Windows itself is unstable I question the validity of the Microsoft tool somewhat.

Anyway, on my system the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool seems to never quite start. I?™d hesitate to say it freezes or locks up because I can get out of the tool gracefully. I?™d be curious to know how others fair with said tool.

hdtv00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdtv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 8:25am
Yep , it still hasn't reset it's been 24 hrs now without doing it. For the first time since I updated the motherboard drivers. It was resetting 6 times a day at least before I changed that one setting. And frankly that's all I did.

Octavean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octavean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 11:50am
Well again I?™m willing to try it.

The thing is, my motherboard instability issues basically started after Windows 11 Pro was installed (each time) starting during the configuration stage. Windows gives you a couple of options to click on and within the first three options it would reset and ask the same questions again. Then It would eventually either reboot spontaneously, freeze or blue screen (not sure of the specific error but I can check).

In either case, this instability started before explicitly installing motherboard drivers from ASRock or AMD chipset drivers. The instability persists after said driver install but again was definitely there before too.

It can?™t hurt to try it though.

hdtv00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdtv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 12:30pm
Yea that's where the rub in DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE because it can be any of several different issues. Is that the blue screen error you get?

Your issue for sure sounds like it's something else. Maybe even hardware related being it happens so early my first thought is bad ram. Is there a windows 11 safe mode you can go into see if it crashes still.
Equalizer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equalizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 6:38pm

Yep , it still hasn't reset it's been 24 hrs now without doing it. For the first time since I updated the motherboard drivers. It was resetting 6 times a day at least before I changed that one setting. And frankly that's all I did.

Very interesting because I'm getting the same issue, my hard drive drops out(reconnects once in awhile and my nextcloud sync crashes sometimes which results in the Driver Power State Failure Blue Screen. Definitely something asrock needs to look into, I'll try setting drive to never sleep. Do you apply the same settings for ssds/nvmes? Seems like it's hard drives only, could be wrong. Random reboots seem to be solved on AS06 bios, the driver power state is my biggest issue atm.
Octavean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octavean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 12:48am

Yea that's where the rub in DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE because it can be any of several different issues. Is that the blue screen error you get?

I?™ll have to see if I can reproduce the blue screen which shouldn?™t be difficult since it?™s typical first boot behavior.   Unfortunately I didn?™t take note of the specific error regardless of how numerous it?™s is.

BTW, I did come across this:

If you view the crash dump file from this BSOD, which you can do by installing and launching BlueScreenView, it will often identify a file by name as part of the crash data. By searching on the name, you can often associate it with some specific device inside (or, as is most typical for this error) plugged into your PC.

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix-driver-power-state-failure-error

I?™m not big on using utilities like that but if there isn?™t a built in option then it or something like it might be the way to go.

hdtv00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hdtv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 5:16am
There is a built in version of sorts you can usually get an idea , it's called Event Viewer I believe.

Yea that article is prob dead on what was causing my issue at least. Cause as soon I suspected drives sleeping ,which I wanted off anyway hate plex taking 30 seconds to start playing from sleep drives, and after turning off it still hasn't crashed in two days I'm golden it seems.

I did have 6 sata and 2 usb drives connected too. As well as one m.2
Octavean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octavean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 7:23am
Event Viewer, aye, I?™ve used it before. I?™ll give it a right proper go when I have the chance.

My system isnt currently connected up to a monitor, keyboard and mouse because I dont really have a specific place for it yet. So it?™s a bit of a drag to pull it out and setup even when I have the time for it.

Food for thought and I?™ve got a lot to look into now.

One question though, are you leaving your system on 24 / 7,????? The reason I ask is because once the initial crash gets out of the way, I suspect that my system might firm up its stability. So for me just leaving it on might not be the best of tests.
topdog360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote topdog360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 8:25am
I built my new setup last weekend with the following specs:
670E Taichi MB
7950x
64GB GSkill Flare X5
Zotac RTX 4090
1.11AS06 BETA BIOS

Had nothing but problems out of the gate.
- crashing during windows install
- different bluescreen errors every time
- Finally managed to get Windows installed then issues started again while updating
- BIOS is at least always stable while inside
Things I tried:
- removed all drives except primary M2
- removed 2 sticks of RAM
- no EXPO on RAM

I was finally able to get Windows running and it appeared stable. I reinstalled the other RAM sticks and was able to perform various benchmarks, and even played Portal RTX for an 1.5 hours with no issue. Then crash. Windows restarts and doing nothing would random crash, different error every time.

I have been monitoring this thread and noticed the comment from Asrock regarding disabling C-State in the BIOS. I figured Id give it a shot. PC has been running rock stable now for 7 hours no BSOD of any kind. Im 100% convinced this is AGESA/BIOS related at this point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
  Share Topic