ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Taichi crashes / reboots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcstagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 7:01am
Asrock Version: 5.01.29.2026
Amd Version: 4.11.15.342

My guess is Asrock released a newer version early. It possbily has compatibility with the 7000X3D chips but again thats just me speculating.

both drivers work and I've not noticed any differences in stability or performance. Use whichever you prefer I'd say.
apatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 1:58am
I have read on some forum that these are often brand's internal namings (MSI, ASRock,Asus, Gigabyte ...) drivers are the same as on AMD site, check station-driver for more of these.

But looks like not this time
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/upcoming-amd-chipset-driver-5-01-29-2026-whql-listed-with-3dv-cache-optimization-1-7.html
ASRock X399 Taichi/X670E Pro RS
AMD Threadripper 1920X/Ryzen 7 7700X
64GB:2xF5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5S/KF548C38BBK2-64
Samsung 960EVO,970Pro/980Pro
MSI GeForce GTX 1050/Asus GeForce RTX 3080TUF
W10P/W11P
crazy098 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy098 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 9:06am
Just an update for everyone: I now have everything enabled including igpu. I've noticed occasional very minor stuttering in games but nothing that would require disabling the igpu.
mcstagg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcstagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 10:02pm
I can also confirm I've been pretty rock solid on my system with the 1.18 BIOS. No crashes to report other than those brought on by my own meddling with precision boost curve optimiser.
Juuso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juuso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 10:24pm
Same here. Not a single crash and I even changed the curve optimizer to negative 30 on my 7950X and everything runs as stable as ever. Expo enabled ofcourse
Octavean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octavean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 1:36am
Just an FYI,??

ASRock and other board manufacturers have or soon will release new BIOS to support the 7000X3D processors. I already see a new version for my ASRock B650E PG Riptide WiFi motherboard version 1.18.AS03 Update AGESA ComboAM5 1.0.0.5c.

Since everything seems to running fine now (disabled C-State) and I have the standard 7950X there is little need to upgrade BIOS. It could introduce a new issue or not. I might do it anyway.

Up to you if you want to flip that coin.
lsunsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsunsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 6:34pm
I created an account just to say I have the same motherboard and tried updating to all BIOS since 1.11.AS03 (even though they keep getting removed from the download page). The issue I get is always the same, restart stops working (reboot just hangs) and I get random crashes/freezes very consistently on linux a few minutes after boots. I always revert back to 1.11.AS043, but I wish to keep latest BIOS. Is there anything I can do? Is my problem related to what you folks are seeing?
Katana1074 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katana1074 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 6:59pm
as your running Linux, its probably an unknown, I would start with minimum hardware required, remount your CPU and cooler and log all crashes i.e debug code numbers...

the asmedia 1061 sata controller`s are a source of certain crashes (ms ahci drivers do not work well with them)

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/10a0dkw/comment/j7yu196/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
CPU: RYZEN 7950x | Motherboard: ASROCK X670E TAICHI | GPU: MSI RTX4090 LIQUID X 24GB | RAM: FURY X DDR5 C40 | Hard Drive: INTEL OPTANE 900P 480GB,1 x SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB,2 X ADATA S8200X 2TB
zoneslash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoneslash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 3:26am
Originally posted by sunl1te sunl1te wrote:

Originally posted by zoneslash zoneslash wrote:

Well, I for one would like to thank you for bringing this to attention - I've had a couple of unexpected reboots since finishing my new build and testing it, and as many do, I went to BIOS-updates firstly, switching over to the latest in the beta branch just a few minutes ago. Since i'm running 2x32gb RAM at 5600mhz i'm surmising it's likely I'll end up having to turn them down to 5200mhz to stay within the CPU spec for the 7950 and attain complete stability.. I was sure I had checked everything beforehand, but it's really easy to miss important details like these, so again thank you!

Here's the build:
X670E Taichi
Ryzen 9 7950x
G.Skill D5 5600 64gb (F5-5600J3636D32GX2-RS5K - should be on QVL for the board)
Samsung 990 Pro 1tb
Samsung 870 EVO 4tb
Straight Power 11 1000w PSU
Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler
Asus TUF OC 4080
A couple of Light Wings for chassis airflow
All in the good old Panteks Enthoo Pro full tower for plenty of space

The issues i've experienced so far:

One reboot at the windows login screen - the screen itself was stable for at least 5 minutes, moving the mouse around yielded nothing on-screen, at the first keypress to (maybe) engage Windows Hello, the system rebooted unexpectedly instead. This was a cold boot in the early morning.

One reboot during multitask stresstesting, running a GPU benchmark on one monitor, and "power-browsing like an idiot" on the other to monitor to check for crosschatter issues. Without warning, both screens went into inverted colours for about 2 seconds and froze, then the system rebooted. This was after about 4 or so hours of running other stresstests and benchmarks with no issues.

Both logged as classic ID 41 Kernel Power failure.

During both, the MB was running the latest non-beta BIOS, 1.11. I've now gone into the latest in the beta-branch, 1.11AS06, though as mentioned above, I'm kind of expecting to have another occurrence or two of unexpected reboots and then downclocking my RAM to 5200 in that eventuality. Updates may or may not follow, no promises, but also no threats

If I were you, I would do these:

0) Make sure the BIOS setting are default, disable Curve Optimizer. If you have Ryzen Master installed, set to default mode.

1) Use memtest86+ to do a full test (one round is enough)
If any error detected, it's the memory timing compatibility, try reduce to 5200 and test again.

2) If memtest86 never detects any error, remove the video card and use embedded one, run your windows in Safe mode, disable "Auto Reboot" so you will know blue screen happened. No need to do any stress test, just web browsing or keep the computer powered on.
If it's stable, then I would reset / reinstall windows, that means some driver/software/windows setting caused the issue.
If it's still unstable, I would find another MB and install my CPU, RAM on it, do the test until the root cause is found.

Thanks for the advice :)

I ended up having another shutdown the next day, then the following day again, then with the weekend I downclocked the RAM to 5200, since then nothing, only minor driver glitches and windows being windows.

In my case, it seems running RAM over the CPU spec leads to shutdowns, below that asROCK-SOLID stability as I like it best <3

And now I have to give some TLC to my wifus PC which ran RDR 4k streaming fine for two years, and now goes Kernel 41 when she tries to play Hogwarts - my suspicion is on her 6900XT that goes to 109-110 the moment the game loads up :(

Cheers to all of you'z who had problems solved with help here, reported in, or helped others; you're all great peeps. We're all idiots at times, and PC building is still an art, when we do it together we learn better and win more <3
buttabean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 5:18am
Originally posted by lsunsi lsunsi wrote:

I created an account just to say I have the same motherboard and tried updating to all BIOS since 1.11.AS03 (even though they keep getting removed from the download page). The issue I get is always the same, restart stops working (reboot just hangs) and I get random crashes/freezes very consistently on linux a few minutes after boots. I always revert back to 1.11.AS043, but I wish to keep latest BIOS. Is there anything I can do? Is my problem related to what you folks are seeing?

I know you're running linux but I was experiencing reboots on windows when blender would do the compositing(cpu portion) of the render. This wouldn't happen at first but over time. 30 minutes? I noticed in hwinfo that it would spike super fast to 95c so I think the system was becoming unstable due to the quick spike. I'm on a open loop so I know it's not a lack of cooling issue.

After I set a limit of 85c with the curve -20 offset, the crashes all went away. I now can even use the -40 present with 1.18 and it's stable. I have two 32gig ddr5600 running at 6000mhz. skhynix m die.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic