ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ryzen 5 1600 BIOS update
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen 5 1600 BIOS update

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
Gibon378 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2022
Status: Offline
Points: 95
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibon378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen 5 1600 BIOS update
    Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 5:50am
Hello. I have a Ryzen 5 1600 (Summit Ridge) CPU and ASRock ab350 PRO4 MOBO.
My current BIOS version is P5.40 PinnaclePI-AM4 1.0.0.6 (12/19/2018).

I suspect that there is some sort of problem with it. The problem is complex, basically sometimes just after turning on my computer, sometimes after a few hours the sound cuts off, videos stop playing (I can see the buffering circle on YouTube) and the game freezes - all at the same time. I can browse the web, work in Adobe Illustrator as normal, but there is no sound, I can't watch videos, Spotify stops playing, etc.

I hope that it's the bios fault (I guess it's worth a try) and I can update it, so everything is back to normal.
So here is my question: What BIOS version should I update to?
I don't want any unpleasant surprises when I update to a wrong version and I won't be able to boot Windows... I'd also like for the version to be really stable (so hopefully the problem will be fixed).
Back to Top
eccential View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2022
Location: Nevada
Status: Offline
Points: 555
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 3:40am
I doubt that is a BIOS issue. The original AGESA 1.0.0.6 has been incredibly reliable with Zen+ (2000-series CPUs) and Zen! (2000-series APUs) for me. Admittedly, I don't own any Zen1 parts, but I don't think they're functionally any different than Zen+ CPUs.

Is this a new build? Are you running any vendor software, like RGB or GPU monitor? I recently (finally!) figured out ASUS GPU Tweak III was causing my system to sort-of-freeze, like a couple of times per week. In general, it's best to avoid software that stays around, as much as possible anyway. I switched to non-resident MSI Afterburner (set config and exit) and haven't had an issue for over a week now.

Some early 1000-series CPUs had issues, and AMD replaced them under warranty, but well, we're well past that time (over 5 years now).

If you're overclocking or undervolting anything, you should set everything to default to eliminate possible culprits.

Back to Top
Gibon378 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2022
Status: Offline
Points: 95
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibon378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 4:22am
Thank you for the reply. I think I'd like to try updating the BIOS version either way. What is the latest version that will 100% work and is really stable?
Back to Top
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar

Joined: 16 May 2015
Location: Europe
Status: Offline
Points: 15168
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 4:11pm
A lot of people jump to blaming the BIOS for issues that are most often software
related. The sound implementation in your BIOS will likely be identical from BIOS
version 1.00 all the way through to the latest version. I would take a look through
your installed software and remove all residual tweaking apps you may have installed.
As eccential said, incompatible/buggy monitoring/overclocking software is infamous
for causing erroneous instability. You should also look to update your audio and
all in one (chipset) drivers. I habitually update my All in One driver every time
there is a more major windows update. Quite often it is needed to restore stability.
Back to Top
Gibon378 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2022
Status: Offline
Points: 95
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibon378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

A lot of people jump to blaming the BIOS for issues that are most often software
related. The sound implementation in your BIOS will likely be identical from BIOS
version 1.00 all the way through to the latest version. I would take a look through
your installed software and remove all residual tweaking apps you may have installed.
As eccential said, incompatible/buggy monitoring/overclocking software is infamous
for causing erroneous instability. You should also look to update your audio and
all in one (chipset) drivers. I habitually update my All in One driver every time
there is a more major windows update. Quite often it is needed to restore stability.


My chipset driver is 04.06.2021 5.12.0.38 (I've updated it 2 days ago to test all the possibilities). I haven't had any issues, but sometimes they don't happen for a week, so I have to wait and see. I get that there can be something wrong with software like sound card drivers, but as I wrote - the problem is a little bit more complicated.

Sometimes, my computer stops playing music, stops videos (starts buffering on youtube), there is no sound in games and when I minimize the game window and return to the game there is a black screen with window borders (the game runs on full screen) - I can't exit the game by clicking the "x" button in the corner, I have to end the task. When I open the game after the incident it runs, but has no sound. Other than that computer doesn't crash, etc. For example, when I'm doing a project in Adobe Illustrator I can normally work, finish the project and save it without any issues, but Spotify stops playing music. I can open new programs, but the issue still exists.

I think it may have something to do with bios, maybe updating it would improve CPU / RAM stability. I know it may not help, but I think it's worth a shot.
That being said, would you recommend any version?
Back to Top
Gibon378 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2022
Status: Offline
Points: 95
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibon378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 9:44pm
PS.
I updated the all-in-one chipset drivers (auto update from AMD software)
Link: https://www.amd.com/en/support (Auto-Detect and Install for Windows® 10/11* section)
Back to Top
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar

Joined: 16 May 2015
Location: Europe
Status: Offline
Points: 15168
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 3:44am
You are already on 5.xx, there would be little to no point updating past that as
it will offer no improvements to first gen compatibility.

I mentioned the chipset drivers because I have had similar weird issues arise when
there is a windows update and I don't update the chipset drivers afterwards. MS
breaks things with updates then AMD patches them with an updated chipset driver.
Sound is one of the aspects that is often effected, as is the endless buffering
issue you noted. Test out the system and see if the issue reappears again. If it
does then and only then look at updating the BIOS. I would not go past version
6.40 with a first gen Ryzen CPU, in fact, you would likely be best sticking with
5.xx, 5.80 if you feel you really want to try an update.

In all honesty I would personally perform a fresh windows install before considering
a BIOS update as a solution. Your issues all sound software/driver related not
BIOS related. As I said before, a lot of people think the BIOS is a cure-all for
any and all issues but that is simply not usually the case. It started when AM4
launched because there were a lot of strange bugs as well as immature software
adoption for the platform. Now however AM4 is a very mature platform and the
usual rules are back in effect. Suspect software/drivers first, then OS and lastly
BIOS.

I hope this helps.
Back to Top
Gibon378 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2022
Status: Offline
Points: 95
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibon378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

You are already on 5.xx, there would be little to no point updating past that as
it will offer no improvements to first gen compatibility.

I mentioned the chipset drivers because I have had similar weird issues arise when
there is a windows update and I don't update the chipset drivers afterwards. MS
breaks things with updates then AMD patches them with an updated chipset driver.
Sound is one of the aspects that is often effected, as is the endless buffering
issue you noted. Test out the system and see if the issue reappears again. If it
does then and only then look at updating the BIOS. I would not go past version
6.40 with a first gen Ryzen CPU, in fact, you would likely be best sticking with
5.xx, 5.80 if you feel you really want to try an update.

In all honesty I would personally perform a fresh windows install before considering
a BIOS update as a solution. Your issues all sound software/driver related not
BIOS related. As I said before, a lot of people think the BIOS is a cure-all for
any and all issues but that is simply not usually the case. It started when AM4
launched because there were a lot of strange bugs as well as immature software
adoption for the platform. Now however AM4 is a very mature platform and the
usual rules are back in effect. Suspect software/drivers first, then OS and lastly
BIOS.

I hope this helps.


I'm going to wait, maybe the driver update fixed the issue.
I formatted my SSD and did a fresh windows installation a few months ago, so way past the start of the problem. It didn't fix the issue (it improved my PC performance tho), that's why I'm looking for another solution.
Thank you for the help!
Back to Top
SerchTech View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 16 Oct 2022
Location: Spain
Status: Offline
Points: 155
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 2:21pm
Hi

If you are talking about total system freezing only solved by forced reboot there is a set in BIOS that could be useful for you:

Go into BIOS and follow the path Advanced --> AMD CBS --> Zen Common Options --> Power Supply Idle Control and change the value to Typical Current Idle, save changes and reset.

This has been a good solution for freezes with 1st and 2nd Ryzen Gen, see an example bellow

https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8954


Hope this helps and good luck
X399 Taichi | TR 2950X | 64GB HyperX 3200Mhz | 2 x RTX 3060
Back to Top
Gibon378 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2022
Status: Offline
Points: 95
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibon378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by SerchTech SerchTech wrote:

Hi

If you are talking about total system freezing only solved by forced reboot there is a set in BIOS that could be useful for you:

Go into BIOS and follow the path Advanced --> AMD CBS --> Zen Common Options --> Power Supply Idle Control and change the value to Typical Current Idle, save changes and reset.

This has been a good solution for freezes with 1st and 2nd Ryzen Gen, see an example bellow

https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8954


Hope this helps and good luck


The system does not freeze, I can still do most of the things I could with the exception of sound, watching videos and gaming.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.148 seconds.