ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motherboard stopped working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motherboard stopped working
    Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 8:56pm
The PC was on all day but when I went back to use it, it was dead. It has a B365M Pro4 mobo with M.2 SSD.

It did not respond to power off/on. Nothing.

I checked the PSU & it works & all voltages are correct.

Re-connected the cables & tried to power on by jumping the header power on pins, but it did not respond.

Any suggestions why it might have just died?
Is there a fuse hidden somewhere on the mobo or is the mobo dead?

Thanks.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 11:43pm
Unplug the system from power and leave it disconnected for an hour or so and see
if that brings it back.

If not, take the system apart, remove all components (including CPU) from the
board then make sure it's all clean before reinstalling just the RAM, CPU and
GPU. You can also try powering on without the GPU installed, even if you don't
have an iGPU. A dead GPU could also cause the power safeties to engage on the board.

If that doesn't work, try with another PSU, even if it's reading the correct voltages
on a multimeter, it may be unstable under load.

If after all that it still won't work then it's likely the board has died.
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 8:57am
I took it all apart but it made no difference. Also tried another PSU but no luck with that.

What would happen if the PSU was connected and & I shorted pin #16 to ground in order to turn on the PSU? Would that temporarily get me going or would I see smoke?

It would be nice to see some of the BIOS settings before the mobo was replaced.

I saw several B365M Pro4 mobos on Ebay that were selling for parts only. A few months ago two of the USB2 ports died at the header on mine. Is this a problem mobo?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 2:36pm
Shorting the power sense pin to ground could potentially fry components (other than
the board) if there is a major issue with the board itself. If you have tried everything
you can try that but be sure to remove all components from the board first. While
you have the board force powered check for any excess heat that could indicate
a dead board. I do not recommend trying with your components installed. You could
get lucky and a forced power up may clear power safety checks (with no components
installed).

You can also fire a support ticket off to ASRock:
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

They may have further advice for you.
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 9:39am
Thanks -
I sent ASRock support a request for help & hopefully a solution.

Several months ago I lost a USB2 port. Then a few months after that another USB2 port died on the other header. FWIW, both still had 5V power on them.

Now the whole board is dead. There are several on Ebay for parts only which makes me think this is a common problem.

I have a used board coming. It's an ASRock B365 but a different model. This should get me going quickly.

Does ASRock ever repair boards?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 7:07pm
Under warranty they usually send out a new board. I guess it's cheaper and easier
than the labor cost. From what I gather the only time they send back the same board
is if the issue was BIOS related where they flash it and send it back. This is based
on forum users experiences, a different serial number usually comes back.
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 12:28am
I didn't think it would be cost effective to repair a board, especially a lower priced one.

I found a board just like mine & was able to cancel the first one. I should have most of my changed BIOS settings written down. That said, is there a way to save a file with all the settings so that they can viewed and/or copied into a replacement board?
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 1:08am
I received an email from ASRock. They said to contact my dealer first. If they can't help then go to the ASRock website (https://www.asrock.com/support/) which offers FAQ & other information.

I was not counting on any help, just hoping if this was a common problem there might be relatively easy solution.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Mike99 Mike99 wrote:

I didn't think it would be cost effective to repair a board, especially a lower priced one.

I found a board just like mine & was able to cancel the first one. I should have most of my changed BIOS settings written down. That said, is there a way to save a file with all the settings so that they can viewed and/or copied into a replacement board?

If the board is dead I am afraid not, at least not easily. You would need a ROM
programmer with the correct clip to attach to the BIOS ROM on the board or to physically
remove the BIOS ROM and insert it into the programmer to be read and dumped. Not
at all worth the effort and expense just for BIOS settings.
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 3:00am
I probably wasn't clear. I was wondering if it's possible to save BIOS settings on a good working board.

I never installed a used mobo. Should I clean the CPU socket pins? I did some searching & everything was about cleaning thermal paste from the socket. But I was wondering what if someone touched the socket & left a bit of oil on the pins. Is it better to presume everything is OK vs. risking a bent pin from cleaning?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic