ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - USB-C 3.1 showing up as USB 3.0 For Oculus Link
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB-C 3.1 showing up as USB 3.0 For Oculus Link

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CluelessPcBuilder249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB-C 3.1 showing up as USB 3.0 For Oculus Link
    Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 6:57am
Hopefully someone can give some input because I have been troubleshooting this for way too long!

My quest 2 shows up as USB 3.0 in the "devices and printers" menu despite being plugged into a USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 port on my motherboard via the official link cable. When testing the cable on the Oculus software, it says the cable is giving me 2.2gb/s. I'm getting some artifacting and some odd stuttering in games I should not have an issue running (3080/ryzen 3700x) which is making me believe this is bottlenecking performance.

Does anyone know if this is a Quest/Oculus issue or is it a USB controller issue on my motherboard? Or if I should even be worried about this at all?

Things I have tried:

Updating Chipset drivers (Directly from AMD and the AsRock model support page)

Uninstalled/reinstalled USB controllers from Device Manager

Looked for "Usb Configuration" settings in bios to enable XHCI (Apparently it's nowhere to be found in my bios)

Reset bios to defaults (even updated the bios to try finding the usb settings)

Clicked "remove device" on the devices and printers page then unplugged/plugged Quest in

I could not find that much information on the internet hence why I'm making this post. Thanks in advance!

PC Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3700x

GPU: Rtx 3080 10gb

Mobo: AsRock x470 Master SLI/ac

Ram: Tforce 32gb 3200MHz
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 6:29pm
This is definitely an Oculus issue.
It is cause by the fact that the oculus hardware, requires more power, than USB can provide, and oculus also advises to use a PCIE card
Some mepole say using this card solved the issue
https://www.amazon.de/Inateck-Bandbreite-Anschl%C3%BCsse-KU5211-Schwarz/dp/B09DS2Y3LZ
And on the other hand I see that the Oculus cables are not the best, even the cheap USB C cables can handle 5Gb/s and the better ones 10Gb/s
When you look at the board, you see that USB ports, always comes in pairs of 2, which is called a HUB, and each hub is connected to one place on the board, and every hub has its own connection to the board.
The USB C port is combined with a USB type A port. and often when people use an A type cable on the port that is above, or next to the USB C, it works, but the USB C port, is exactly the same as the Type A, only the connector is different.
And people report, with USB A it works, but not with USB C.
it is 100% the cable
Kind Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic