ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New B650 Riptide will not post unless CMOS cleared
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New B650 Riptide will not post unless CMOS cleared

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VLcakx517 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New B650 Riptide will not post unless CMOS cleared
    Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 7:46am
Please help, I'm floored and dont know what to do. Building this for a cousin for an iRacing rig.

B650 Riptide non Wifi (newest 1.18 BIOS, also tried 1.11 and 1.14)
Ryzen 7600 w/ air tower cooler
Gskill 5600 2x16gb FlareX (serial # on supported list)
WD Blue SN750 1TB (Serial # supported)
TT Toughpower 750w PSU
Zotac 3070Ti (but does the same with GPU removed

First startup PC posted to BIOS. Plug in windows USB, save and exit, and goes into boot loop. Fought this for hours. Accidently found that if I clear CMOS it starts fine. I load and setup windows, update everything from first start up.

Shut down and F2 into BIOS to enable EXPO and PBO, save and exit = boot loop. Restart = boot loop. Power off, clear CMOS and it starts into Windows fine. Install iRacing, play games for hours, shut down, restart, restart from no power...all good

Restart into BIOS, change fan setting, save exit = boot loop. Wont restart unless I clear CMOS then it all works normal. I try restarting into BIOS and just click "save and exit" WITHOUT changing anything and it boot loops. Also does this on the internal graphics without the GPU.

If I restart to BIOS, change 30 things but then click "discard and exit" and it boots and start fine. Plays games, runs cinebench, works normal.

I have changed RAM with 3 different types, swapped hard NVME to the specific serial #s in the supported list. I am on my 2nd MoBo that I returned through Prime thinking it was bad. The only thing I havent swapped is the CPU, but since it works totally normal I never thought it could be that.

Whats my next move? the tech support from AsRock through their 3 day delayed support sucks. This is like my 6 or 7th build and all have gone well. All were AM4 platforms and Im wishing I stuck to that instead of this AM5 crap.

Any help would be appreciated.
VLcakx517 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VLcakx517 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 9:24am
Tried the newest BIOS for the Riptide posted in another thread which was new as of 03/10/23. Did not change or fix anything im dealing with. Save/Exit out of BIOS regardless of changes = boot loop/ stall. Discard or start from a cleared CMOS and the PC runs fine as long as I stay out of BIOS.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 4:21pm
The only suggestion I have is to make sure your RAM is in slots A2 and B2. I have
seen issues almost identical to yours when the wrong slots are populated (using 2
modules).

If you haven't already, open a support ticket with ASRock:
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

It doesn't matter if they get back to you or how soon, if this is a common issue
it will draw their attention to it. Generally I find ASRock's support to be very
good, a bit slow at times but always decent once you get a response. In this case
it sounds like a bug, something ASRock will likely need to look into.
VLcakx517 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VLcakx517 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 8:54pm
I have the RAM in the "first" slots and have tried the other two. I sent this as a formal tech question to asrock when I thought it was a Ram issue and all I got 3 or 4 days later was "try a lower expo speed". But the issue is it won't even let me enable expo or do anything in BIOS.

I gave up at this point and just going to return the MoBo through prime and ordered a Gigabyte board. Not gonna make the kid I'm building this for wait any longer. Sucks because I'm happy with my personal Asrock (B450 and 550 steel legends) stuff but going fwd with AM5 stuff I'll be avoiding them like the plague.
Ausboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ausboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 7:11am
I?™m having the same problem exactly. This is a nightmare. Is there any solution?
VLcakx517 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VLcakx517 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 9:19am
Nope, never found a solution and no help from AsRock. I returned the board and got a Gigabyte b650m w/ wifi for the same price. Worked as it should. I'm currently building another AM5 pc for a friend as a gaming rig and I checked Asrocks website. I see they have 2 really new BIOS updates since I returned the board, but until I see others having success with them, I'll still be avoiding them.
Ausboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ausboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 9:23am
That sucks. I'm just out of the 30 day return window so I'm stuck with mine. I am going to try the support and the bios updates and maybe I can get something worked out. Your post did help me figure out I can reliably get it back up by pulling the cmos battery every time.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 1:21pm
I posted before about using slots A2 and B2. The first 2 slots are slots A1 and A2.
The second 2 slots are slots B1 and B2. This is starting from the closest slot to
the CPU.

When using 2 modules you need to populate slots A2 and B2. A single module goes in
slot A2.

If you are still having issues, open a support ticket with ASRock:
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

It can take a while to get a reply, particularly when there are national holidays
in China/Taiwan. This is not an issue for European based countries that are filtered
to ASRock's EU offices.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic