FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty K6+ BSOD - Need some fresh ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:47pm
I take it the new motherboard is a different brand/model?

What software is deactivated if you don't mind my asking? Would trying your replacement RMA board correct the issue?

Its a pity we couldn't resolve the issues on the original board.
heapson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heapson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 1:48pm
Well, it's been four days on a new motherboard without a single blue screen. Happy days!

All my Sata drives have passed the Seatools long generic test and chkdsk /r without issue.

I've copied terabytes of data between drives simultaneously without any hiccups.

The only thing I swapped was the motherboard. Even the two Windows installations are unchanged with just a few driver installs to match the new motherboard.

Every single component is identical,  including cables, CPU, PSU, GPU, PCI cards, case, memory, M2 drive, SSD drive, standard  hard drives, optical drives, keyboard, mouse, speakers, webcam and monitor.

File transfers between Sata drives with the new motherboard are about five times faster, averaging 150 - 180MB/s, whereas the original motherboard averaged about 20-40MB/s with the rate going up and down and the graph showing significant speed deviations. The new motherboard maintains a solid steady green speed graph in the Windows file copy progress dialog.

After 186 Blue screens on my main M2 SSD installation and 64 Blue screens on a fresh installation on a separate SSD Sata drive, I've finally resolved the issue with a new motherboard.

I'm about to reinstall Windows and move on. Unfortunately most of my software has deactivated due to the new motherboard but I'm hoping I can plead my case and point them to this forum post to get everything reactivated on my fresh Windows 10 installation.

Let's hope the RMA process proceeds smoothly. I'll report back with a conclusion to this adventure.

Thanks again Xaltar for your time and effort. My sanity is finally restored.

Edited by heapson - 17 May 2016 at 1:50pm
heapson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heapson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:02pm
I can confirm it wasn't memory. I installed a single stick of supported G.Skills RAM and it still blue screened while copying files between two Sata drives. Both drives are known to be good.

I also tried different Sata and power cables with a single known good Sata drive connected. The system blue screened while copying files to this drive on both the Intel and ASMedia ports.

It's been running stable all week with zero sata drives connected while I waited for RAM and a new motherboard.

I'll go ahead and install the new motherboard and update this post in a few days and again in a few weeks. After 182 blue screens on this installation, I'm well overdue a sanity refresh. Fingers crossed!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 5:36pm
Best of luck to you.
heapson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heapson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 5:20pm
I agree. I managed to change my order to add a new motherboard and cancel the PSU.

I kept the RAM as I'm still a little suspicious of the changes in behaviour of the blue screens when alternating between perfectly valid RAM timing configurations. Default UEFI settings or manual timings cause more frequent crashes but loading the XMP overclocked configuration produces a much more stable computer.

I'll finish my analysis when the order arrives and post an update in a week or two.

Fingers crossed it's RAM or Motherboard. I'm not sure I can cope with any more of these adventures.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:33pm
At this point I would RMA the motherboard. Looking at all your troubleshooting results now that you have loaded the PSU a little more without issue I have to agree with your assumption that the SATA controllers (likely a component common to both) have gone faulty. Even if it is not the board at fault an RMA won't hurt anything and will ultimately give you peace of mind once you get the system back together.

I guess you could wait for the new components to arrive but I suspect the issues will likely persist. 
heapson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heapson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 7:36am
I'm no closer to resolving this. It does seem to be completely stable without any Sata drives connected but that isn't very practical. The chkdsk /r on the 2TB USB drive completed no problem. The Sata SSD installation continues to blue screen on any Sata port intermittently although not as often with no other Sata drives connected.

The M2 SSD stayed up overnight with all Sata drives powered on but not connected to the board and both the GPU and WiFi PCI cards installed. This was to load the PSU.

I really don't think it's a PSU issue but I've ordered a new one so I can eliminate the possibility.

I really don't think it's a memory issue but I have read a really long thread detailing issues with my specific memory modules so I've ordered some G.Skill (F4-3200C16Q-32GVKB).

Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 memory issues.
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=149795

I've had enough of blue screens for the moment so I'll shut this thing down for a week while the new components arrive and then report back.

Thanks again for your suggestions and for listening. My sanity is rapidly disappearing.

Edited by heapson - 05 May 2016 at 7:39am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 7:24pm
Good luck Thumbs Up
heapson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heapson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 12:34pm
I've been running stable all day using my M2 SSD installation. I've been constantly copying huge numbers of files back and forth between USB drives and onto the M2 drive. A chkdsk /r is still churning away on a 2TB USB drive. These things were pretty much guaranteed to blue screen when any of my Sata drives were involved.

All Sata drives are currently disconnected. I can't remember if I've experienced a blue screen on this installation with all Sata drives disconnected. I have tested disconnecting drives but it was on the Sata SSD installation so the system drive was still connected.

I'll try adding all the components back to load the PSU but I'm pretty convinced it's caused by having any Sata drive connected on any port either ASMedia or Intel. I have no idea how this could be occurring but I think it points to the motherboard.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 11:32am
I am inclined to agree about the CPU and RAM not being the issue at this point. Given that the system was stable for 2 months I would lean toward either the motherboard or PSU as the guilty culprits. 

The last thing I would try seeing as you have no spare PSU to test with is reinstall your graphics card and any other peripherals you have that draw power and see if your BSOD issues get worse. If they do then the PSU may be the cause, if not then I would go ahead and RMA the motherboard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic