ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X670E Taichi not booting Kingston DataTraveler Max
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Taichi not booting Kingston DataTraveler Max

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X670E Taichi not booting Kingston DataTraveler Max
    Posted: 18 Jul 2023 at 4:40am
I was trying to install a new OS on newly set up system with Asrock X670E Taichi using Kingston DataTraveler Max (256 GB USB-C Nvme flash drive).

Somehow UEFI doesn't recognize it as a bootable device, no matter what settings I selected. I attached it directly to USB-C rear port, to USB-A ports using an adapter - no dice.

Installation image was Debian Linux and it worked fine with older USB-A flash drive (non SSD Sandisk Cruiser).

Another note - when I use that Kingston DataTraveler Max with just a FAT32 partition and firmware image, motherboard recognizes it fine when selecting firmware updates.

Is it some kind of bug in the boot selection? Can you please take a look and fix it in the future updates (or should I report it to your tech support?).

Thanks!
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2023 at 4:41am
Correction, not nvme flash drive obviously, but simply ssd flash drive.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2023 at 4:42am
For the reference, for example X570 Taichi with latest UEFI recognizes Kingston DataTraveler Max for booting fine.
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 4:11am
what partition type you have? if it's MBR you might need to enable CSM in bios.

you might need to add a linux bootloader to nvram using efibootmgr, because the motherboard autodetects only windows
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 7:19am
No, it's bootable as UEFI image (on other computers). Literally exactly same image just on older USB drive boots on this board too. It's just the USB-C Kingston one doesn't.

So I'm pretty sure it's not a UEFI layout issue, but something else.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 7:20am
Btw, enabling CSM didn't help (I tried that).
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 1:26am
Hello

Have you tried creating a bootable Windows media with the official Microsoft tool?

or

Create bootable media with e.g. Fedora 38 or OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (Rolling Release)?

I ask because IMO Debian (which I adore) is not a gold standard in hardware support including USB installation media, it would be interesting if other OSs can use Kingston DataTraveler Max without problems.

It is strange that you can use your Kingston Max as a FAT32/Firmware tool recognized by X670E Taichi and not as an installation medium

And yes, direct inquiries to ASRock technical support is always the best option, here we try to help each other as users
X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
DDR4 2 x HX432C16FB3K2/32
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 4:45am
Never really had any issues with Debian installer and live images. They create hybrid ISOs that you can just dd to any drive and they boot (as I said, this image boots fine with X570 Taichi).

I'll try same drive with some other OS for a test as you suggest.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 5:11am
Just tried writing a Windows installation image on this Kingston drive (and tested it also on another computer - it does boot properly).

670E Taichi still doesn't recognize it, so I'm pretty sure it's something with the hardware combination not with the type of bootable image on it.

I'll report it to Asrock support.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 3:32am
I did another test - attached that Traveler Max over USB-C to USB-A adapter to one of the USB-A ports and UEFI recognizes it for booting!

Also, tried a USB-A drive attached with USB-A to USB-C adapter to the USB-C port, and it's also recognized for booting!

So it's clearly some problem with pure USB-C configuration in UEFI that the drive is not recognized when attached to it.

I tried contacting Asrock support about it before, but never got any response.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic