ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

First AMD build not going well...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raptor9ine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 10:51pm
So I've hooked my old rig up to two monitors now. First one I hooked up via hdmi cable to the gpu's hdmi slot while bridging those BAT1/JBAT1 pins and no signal to the monitor. I then hooked it up to a second monitor via the gpu's dp slot and still no signal while bridging those pins.

I've also noticed that while bridging those BAT1/JBAT1 pins, there's no hdd led flickering on at the front panel of the case, nor is there any led light around the front panel ON switch.

I've checked and double checked, everything is connected. PWR SW is connected, PWR LED and HDD LED were never pulled out nor was the RESET header.

Hmmm...
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 12:48am
You won't boot the system without the ram.

Can you update the bios using those instructions?:

https://pg.asrock.com/support/QA/FlashbackSOP.pdf
asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt
Raptor9ine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raptor9ine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 5:24am
Ah, I didn't know it wouldn't boot without ram. I was going on what I read here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pchelp/comments/eatxrs/perform_these_steps_before_posting_about/ when I breadboarded it.

Specifically this bit: "Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU." I assume this applies to old motherboards then? Not sure.

Had a look on the new MB at the bios chipset and it has a 1.21 sticker on, so I'll give the bios update a go.

This will have to be my last ditch attempt before sending the motherboard, psu and cpu back if I can.

Thanks for the help.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 7:19am
Yeah, you need RAM installed in slots A2 and B2 or just slot A2 for breadboarding.
Check the underside of the board for any damage/bent over component legs that may
be touching that shouldn't.
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 4:21pm
I would update the BIOS in the new motherboard and see if this change anything. Please look what the bios flashback led displays - it indicates if its flashing properly. Everything is described in the instruction.

After that I would focus on the old rig and diagnose why it does not work, because you know all the parts were working.
asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raptor9ine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 10:03pm
Hmmm, something strange is happening. Bearing in mind, at this point I haven't updated the bios yet as that was a last resort.

So, with the cpu back in the socket and 1 ram stick in the a2 slot, but without the cpu cooler attached to the cpu, and with its fan plugged in to the fan header, when I switch on the psu I get the rgb lights again, but when I bridge the power switch pins the post status checker leds come on firm (cpu and dram), the cpu fan starts spinning, I hear a click from the psu and the psu fan starts spinning too! YIPPEE!

Here's a quick vid: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m7XwQ7lwDwfHZ1E-vckiamgKuPcHlF2l/view?usp=sharing

Now, when I screw the cpu cooler back in place over the cpu, and attach its fan, when I bridge the power switch pins...nothing again.

Here's a vid of that: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mLDaD9h2QsdU5QPx_K8hS0fH758v8k2D/view?usp=sharing

At least something is happening now, but I'm lost as to why it won't switch on when I attach the cpu cooler.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 11:26pm
So either the CPU cooler is pressing down too hard and warping the motherboard
(and has possibly caused damage) or the cooler is shorting against something on
the board.

The DRAM and CPU LEDs being lit likely indicate you don't have a supporting BIOS
version. Thoroughly check your CPU cooler isn't shorting something out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raptor9ine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 12:28am
I've had a look and can't see the cooler shorting anything. I've screwed it back on to the cpu, but it's surprising how little you can screw it down before it stops the system from switching on. It's difficult trying to see if it's making contact with the cpu. At this point I've also installed the 2nd ram stick and ssd. It's still switching on.

If I leave the system on for a while the cpu/dram leds on the post status checker go off, they briefly come on for the boot and vga, but then they go off and stay off. All PSC leds are off now so I'm guessing cpu/dram/boot/vga are fine?

Hooked it up to a monitor and I can get into bios now. I guess the next step is putting it back in the case and seeing what happens next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raptor9ine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 2:05am
OK got it back in the case now. Just the ATX12v1 and ATXPWR1 cables attached to the MB along with the cpu, cooler and fan, m.2 ssd and 2 sticks of ram.

So, with the case on its side, when I bridge the power switch pins the system comes on, when I put the case upright on its feet and bridge the power switch pins it doesn't. With it still upright, if I gently pull the cpu cooler away from the cpu and bridge the pins, it comes on.

I'm not sure how much more I can unscrew the cooler from the cpu. At this point I don't know if it's even making contact with the cpu. Guess I'm going to have to find out what the idle temps are for the 7600x with an air cooler and then see if they match with the temps I see in bios.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 5:59am
Return the motherboard, if it is that touchy then it is likely damaged, hopefully
you can still get it replaced. I suspect the cooler mounting pressure was too high
and may have caused micro fractures in the motherboard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic