FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming Build Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 5:11am
The Skylake platform represents a more major generational jump and as such has been plagued by quite a few bugs but for the most part they have been ironed out now. I was a relatively early adopter of the platform and ran into very few issues, I guess I either got lucky or my typical usage environment was not prone to triggering the more common place issues. 

Installing the CPU is pretty simple:

1. Unlatch the retention bracket and open it all the way.
2. Orient the CPU so the gold triangle on the CPU lines up with the markings on the motherboard.
3. Gently lower the CPU into the socket as evenly as possible, avoid sliding it into place.
4. Close the retention bracket then latch it down.
5. Attach your CPU cooler.

Intel has used the "pinless" CPU design for quite some time now and nothing has changed really when it comes to installation. Coming from AMD it can be a little daunting but so long as you do not orient the CPU wrong in the socket the likelihood of bending any pins is minimal. Just relax and take your time installing the CPU, check and double check orientation then slow and steady lower it into the socket. Do that and you will have no problems with bent pins.

There is no shame in asking for help, in fact, knowing when to ask for help should be a point of pride, asking for help = learning and we can never have too much knowledge Wink

If you have any more specific queries please let us know, we are always happy to help.
Riggz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riggz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 3:21am
Thank you for the reply Xaltar. Yes that is the board, I edited my post to put in links to the parts.

As to the Newegg reviews, I do tend to take them with a grain of salt, it is just that all of the major board builders seem to have much lower 4 and 5 star reviews than when I built my last rig. I was worried that the quality control had gone way down for some reason, or that the Z170 chip was just buggy.

I tried to research the board on the Net, but almost all of the reviews were either "previews" that came out when the board was first announced, or ones that were done just after it first came out.
The one at Tom's Hardware didn't really slam it, but seemed to be slanted towards not recommending it.
That one is here 

The connectivity did not bother me because I already knew that using one or more M.2 slots would cut off the use of the various other Sata connections, especially the PCI Express lanes, which I would not use anyways.

I guess I am just trying to minimize the chance that, having all the parts together, I'll do something stupid, and have to wait on RMA parts to get it done.

The installation of the CPU, and the bending of the motherboard pins also seemed to be a problem with the Skylake boards. That's got me a little worried too.

I don't want to sound like I'm not confident in my skills, it's just that so much seems to have changed since my last build, and I want to do it right.

Also, as I get older, asking for help is not the blow to my pride it once seemed to be : )

Edited by Riggz - 22 May 2016 at 5:51am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 4:04pm
Is this the board you are looking at getting?

As for the build itself it shouldn't be much different to your previous builds, while there is some new tech involved the connections remain mostly the same.

Overclocking is another matter, the settings on various models can differ from one to the next. The board I linked will likely have a few more options than say a Z170A-X1 for example. I would focus on getting the system built and stable before even thinking about overclocking.

Newegg reviews can be hideously misleading sometimes. You really have to read through the comments carefully and rule out "idiot user" problems. Many newbie builders will pick out a bunch of parts, purchase them and just expect them to work. Naturally when they hook it all up and it does not post they give it a bad review claiming it's DOA..... The reality is that the RAM they selected was not supported or the CPU needed a BIOS update to be compatible etc. Generally I ignore "DOA" reviews as 99% of the time the user was simply ignorant. I always pay attention to the nature of the problems listed. If it is common place and many people complain about the same issue I then use google to search the particular problem. This helps determine if it is particular to that board or effects other models/manufacturers too.  With some careful reading and research you can usually glean the few grains of truth from the likes of newegg reviews, it just takes a bit of effort.
Riggz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riggz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 2:50pm
I am going to build a PC in the next couple of weeks and have put together a list of components I'd like to use. I've marked the components that I'll be transferring from my old system.

Plus 3 Older Hard Drives for storage

I am posting this here because I want to hear from you ASRock builders, from those who have worked with these boards, and know their ins and outs.

Do you folks have any tips for doing the build? I have built a number of systems over the years, and I always try to be very careful and methodical when assembling the parts. Things like watching out for static electricity, using a stable work place that has plenty of room, common sense things like that.

But there are a few new twists to this build, like the SSD, which I plan on using as the boot drive, and the new DDR4 RAM.
What I'd like to know, from people who have already built similar systems, is what kind of things did you run into when doing your builds? What are some of the things I need to watch out for? 

I will definitely update the BIOS, but I'm coming from an older AMD 1100T/ Asus M4A89TD Pro system, and thing have likely changed a good bit since I built that one. I just don't know what.

I have never installed Windows 10 on a SSD, and while I won't be OC'ing until I've got the system all set up and running for a bit, some tips on that would be mighty appreciated.

I do plan on gaming with this system. My present games are a pretty heavily modded Skyrim, Witcher 2 and 3, Grim Dawn, Dragon Age Inq, Mass Effect 3, and Crysis 2 and 3.

Once I am done the build, I'll be saving up for a new Graphics Card, hopefully one of the new ones coming out later this year, probably an Nvidia card, but that's all a ways away.

I really appreciate any help you could give me. I cringe every time I check the reviews for the various boards on NewEgg, and while I know many of them are written by people who may have been the main contributor to the issues they had, and that many builders who have no problems just don't do reviews, I still worry.

Thank you very much for your help.

Edited by Riggz - 15 Jun 2016 at 5:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic