ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Extreme6/3.1 BIOS Version

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Like2Byte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Yes, that Crucial DDR4 memory will work! I've used it in my ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1 board (I forgot to say I have this board too) with the 1.00 UEFI/BIOS version.

Question Good to know! Now I'm just worried about upgrading the BIOS to 1.2. Where can I get THAT version of BIOS for this board? The AsRock site? I only remember seeing P3.00.

I combined a 4 x 4GB kit of this memory with a 2 x 4GB kit, and it works fine in this board. Combining kits is normally not recommended, because a memory manufacture can use different memory chips in the same model of memory, when they run out of one type. Crucial (Micron) makes their own memory chips, so that won't happen for a much longer time. I can OC it to 2666, which must be done manually, there is no XMP profile in this memory.

I don't know if you just want to get one DIMM/stick so you can get into the BIOS, or want to use eight of them in your board. I would trust any Crucial DDR4 memory they say is for X99 systems to work in our board.

I plan on using this 1 stick for long enough to update the BIOS to a more recent version; it's then going into the 'wasted money on computer parts' bin.

I worries me that you cannot get that memory running when it is listed in the Memory Support list. I hope something else is not wrong, like bent pins in the CPU socket.

It worries me, too! The pins are not bent in either the CPU socket or the 8 memory slots. They're fine.

Kingston may have changed the memory chips in the model of memory you have, which might be different than the memory chips in the memory that ASRock tested. X99 was the first board to use DDR4. When Skylake and Intel 100 series chipset boards were released (that use DDR4), the memory controller in Skylake processors is not quite the same as it is in our Haswell-E processors. Kingston might have changed the memory chips in the memory model so it will work with Skylake systems, but that change is not right for X99. Just an idea.

Question If they did then, IMHO, that is really bad engineering practice. Shouldn't they change the model number if they do that or at least create a new model of RAM for that?

We do not know that the board cannot run 16GB DIMMs, just from your experience. The method I described for you about trying to set the memory options is NOT a standard procedure from ASRock. It is a procedure that I thought of, and just makes sense.

If this board does NOT run 16GB DIMMs like the "Supported Memory" list on AsRock's site for this MB says then I am going to be one pissed off ex-customer of AsRock's. I spent a ton of money on 64GB RAM for this machine. I checked and double checked the supported memory list BEFORE buying the system. Same thing with CPU. I've got over $500 invested in this motherboard/RAM alone; add my CPU and I'm looking at ~$1100 (US). There's a lot riding on this for me.

Don't forget to clear the UEFI/BIOS if you try another kind of memory.

Oh, I didn't! But thanks for the back up! Big smile

I will say now, thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it. I really do! Smile
Like2Byte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Like2Byte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 4:28am
I put in the Crucial 4GB CT4G4DFS8213 stick and the system boots fine; thereby proving there are no bent pins on the CPU. Everything seems as it should.

So, how am I to upload the P1.2 BIOS?

I created a FAT32 USB Drive and copied the P1.20 BIOS to it. Do I simply put it in the USB7 slot and reboot?

After browsing the BIOS information it seems I can also perform a network/internet update. Won't that install P3.00 instead? Something I've been cautioned against uploading on page 1 of this thread.
Like2Byte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Like2Byte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 4:54am
I put the USB stick into USB7 on the MB, it's currently updating.....
Like2Byte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Like2Byte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 5:12am
OK, I updated BIOS A to Version P1.20. I am now able to see and use my Kingston HyperX DDR4 2400 16GBx4 sticks. (Model HX424C15FBK4/64).

CPU is properly detected and features match up WRT BIOS settings.
RAM is properly detected and working - I did NOT adjust voltage settings.
MB is properly working, too.

Thank you to Parsec and company for the excellent help.

Dr Debug is reporting A6. That mean anything? (runs off to look up codes)
Like2Byte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Like2Byte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 5:18am
I imagine the system detected that no OS was installed. As soon as I restarted and began installing windows 7 the debug display went blank.

After windows is installed I'm installing a flavor of GNU/Linux.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic