ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170M Extreme4 Will Not Boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gScott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170M Extreme4 Will Not Boot
    Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:01pm
I am using the iGPU and Yes, per other posts I did go through the BIOS clearing process prior to posting.

The reason I thought it was the memory? because according to most of the posts I've read here memory compat. does seem to be an issue.

To clear the BIOS I swapped the jumper, pulled the battery, drained PSU, and let it sit over the weekend.  I'm assuming that would have done the trick.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:06am
What video source are you using, Intel iGPU or video card?

Why do you think the memory is the problem, since all the parts of the PC are new? It easily could be something else.

Have you cleared the UEFI/BIOS since you installed the memory? If not, you really need to, particularly after moving the DIMMs around, and changing to a different model.

Memory compatibility problems is a reality with DDR4, even with all of two PC platforms that use it, X99 and Intel 100 series chipsets. X99 was first, and Skylake processors like yours have differences in their memory controllers relative to x99.

Can you find the full model number of your HyperX memory, and the second memory you tried? There are several models of HyperX memory listed in your board's Memory Support list:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170M%20Extreme4/?cat=Memory

All DDR4 memory will run at 2133 by default. The highest rated speed of DDR4 memory must be set using the memory's XMP profile, or manually with UEFI/BIOS settings. The maximum speed of the memory is not the issue.
gScott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 9:23am
I have a new Z170M Extreme4 that will not boot.  All the gear was new in box from NewEgg

It has an i3-6100 3.7G Pro CPU
2x4GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2666

The first boot was just CPU/FAN, CPU Power, and ATX Power.  I got the requisite 3-beep post report from the speaker.

I then placed the 2 DDR chips in A2 & B2 per manual.

No more post report; however no video out or any other indication of a bios load/post

I tried the chips in A1/B1, A1/A2, and B1/B2 thinking it would make a difference.

Out of frustration I thought maybe the fact that the chips were PC4 21300's were a problem and went to a local retailer and bought some standard DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) .

Still no Joy.

Are there any suggestions here before I sl*g the whole box in the backyard with my blowtorch? :P

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic