ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - DRAM led keeps burning - Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

DRAM led keeps burning - Z790 Steel Legend WiFi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DRAM led keeps burning - Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
    Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 5:25pm
I have a new Z790 Steel Legend WiFi and using an intel i7-14900K and Kingston Fury Beast KF556C40BBK4-128.

This is the same RAM as the supported 'KF556C40BBK2-64', except that there are 4 sticks of 32GB instead of 2. Which means, inserting '1' stick should work anyhow, right?

Well... no

No matter which of the 4 sticks I insert and no matter which slot (documentation states install 1 dimm in B2) in all cases the same result:

CPU and DRAM let turn on. Boot led flashed really short after turning on. CPU led goes off. DRAM led remains on.

The Mobo wont POST, no display output and yeah... that's it.
The CPU led goes off, even though its a 14th gen Intel. I cannot see what BIOS is installed. The motherboard shows REV 1.01 below the name, next to the DRAM slots.

So, what is going wrong? Any suggestions?

I don't have other DDR5 RAM, nor do I have a different 1700 socket compatible CPU.
Darkje View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 8:23pm
maybe the bios version on the board doesn't support 14th gen and you need to flash a newer version?

On an another brand board i got from a client, it was about the same, the cpu seemed to work but no output, top pcie slot not working, m2 slots from the cpu not working. Only when i inserted a graphics card in the second pcie slot i did get an image and was able to flash. Turned out the cpu was working just enough to proceed with the flash from an usb stick, but non of the devices connected from the cpu where working. The devices running from the chipset did work.

After updating the bios it all worked as intended.

I'm not sure it will be the same on this board, but maybe if you insert a gpu in the second slot, you can get into the bios and flash.

JBt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 9:19pm
Thank you for the suggestion!
I placed a GTX 1080 in the PCI slot, but for all 3 slots the display does not output anything and the DRAM led remains lit.

I did find a sticker on the BIOS chip, with "5.02" on it, meaning that the 14th gen CPU is not supported :|

But still.. how does one update bios w/o buying a 13th gen cpu?
JBt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JBt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 10:15pm
The problem: The bios chip has a sticker on it, saying "5.02", meaning that version of the bios is installed. The 14th gen is thus not supported.

So here is what to do:

Place ONE DRAMM in slot B2 (though I guess other slots might work as well, this is the one specified in the manual)

Install the 14th gen CPU + CPU cooler
DO NOT install M.2 or other stuff in the motherboard (I actually had the M.2 PCI 5 slot in use... as well as one M.2 PCI 4 slot)
Connect the power supply to the motherboard and the CPU connectors.

Now connect the displayport or HDMI port and turn on the system after starting wait for at least 2 minutes. The display should now work!

It is thus possible to update the BIOS without additional hardware!
Avocadoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avocadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 7:50pm
Hello,

I have the same problem with Z790 PG LIGHTNING, but this solution looks like doesn't work with KF CPUs (I have already tried with two PCIE VGAs without any outpot signal). :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic