ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading to Windows 11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASrock_newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading to Windows 11
    Posted: 05 Dec 2023 at 1:29am
Currently have Windows 10 Pro, I'm eligible to upgrade to Windows 11 - BUT the Windows Upgrade tool is telling me that I don't currently meet the Windows 11 system requirements.

I built this system in December 2021, and have been getting this error since then, but haven't done anything about it until now.

System:
PSU: EVGA 710 BP, 80+ BRONZE 700W
MOBO: ASRock B550M STEEL LEGEND AM4 AMD (Bios Ver: 3.20)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G (Cezanne)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
M.2_1: Seagate Firecuda SSD 520 1TB Gen4 X4 NVMe 1.3 (OS Boot Drive)
M.2_2: Seagate FireCuda SSD 510 500GB Gen3 x4 NVMe 1.3
M.2_3: WiFi Card 6E (Gig+) AX210
SATA_1: LG Electronics 14X SATA Blu-ray
SATA_2: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Drive 7200PRM HDD
Misc: Pomya Internal Card Reader Dashboard (B07SC1W9V2)
PCIE1: ASRock AMD Radeon??RX 6600 Challenger D 8GB RX6600 CLD 8G

ASrock_newbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASrock_newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2023 at 1:37am
The Windows 11 Upgrade Error, says I need to enable 'Secure Boot' in the BIOS, but when I do - my M.2 OS Boot Drive disappears and it enters an endless loop going into BIOS due to a missing OS drive until I disable Secure Boot. I will provide any and all photos of the BIOS to help diagnose this problem, just tell me where to start.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2023 at 1:54am
You must've installed (or upgraded to) Windows 10 with the disk configured with MBR (Master Boot Record), which won't work with UEFI. And UEFI is required for Secure Boot, among other things.

Quick search says there is a way to convert already-installed MBR to GPT (GUID Partition Table):

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

But I imagine there's a risk involved. That's all I'll say about it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASrock_newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2023 at 2:11am
Thanks for the Reply eccential, but I did use a fresh install W10 Pro when I built this pc, I actually have the W10 Pro OEM DVD sitting on my desk at the moment.

So, I don't think it's a W8 upgrade to W10 upgrade issue.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2023 at 4:28am
The "(or upgraded to)" part is irrelevant. I only put it there to cover all possibilities.

The important part is that the current Windows 10 installation was done onto an MBR-partitioned disk, which cannot support Secure Boot. You need to clean-install into a GPT partitioned disk, or change the MBR to GPT (risky as far as I'm concerned).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ASrock_newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2023 at 11:22pm
Thanks eccential, it was an MBR to GPT issue. It is corrected now. I am eligible to upgrade to W11 now with no issues.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 12:30pm
secure boot does not need to be enabled, it just needs to be available
that means:
boot drive needs on be on GPT prtition scheme
BIOS needs to be in UEFI mode (CSM off)
TPM needs to be enabled
secure boot on or off, doesnt really matter, up to user choice

thts all its needed for win11 to pass secure boot support check
MrrAmerica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrrAmerica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 7:53pm
Have you tried checking for any BIOS updates for your motherboard? Sometimes, updating the BIOS can help with compatibility. Also, reaching out to Microsoft support might shed some light on the issue. Hang in there, hopefully, you'll get it sorted soon!
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by MrrAmerica MrrAmerica wrote:

Have you tried checking for any BIOS updates for your motherboard? Sometimes, updating the BIOS can help with compatibility. Also, reaching out to Microsoft support might shed some light on the issue. Hang in there, hopefully, you'll get it sorted soon!

The OP said he solved the issue 2 posts above
asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt
MrrAmerica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrrAmerica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 3:55pm
Great. Sorry for the post then.

BTW, reaching out to Microsoft support might shed some light on the issue. And if you guys are eager to switch to Windows 11, you can find cheap windows 11 key here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic