ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Please Help BIOS Screen doesn't even start anymore
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please Help BIOS Screen doesn't even start anymore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please Help BIOS Screen doesn't even start anymore
    Posted: 28 May 2016 at 4:47am
I updated my BIOS for my motherboard Extreme4 x99 3.1 version to version 1.30 since I wanted to use my NVMe properly (I have m.2 installed internally)

Long story short, after instant flash, Thunderbolt card wasn't showing up on System Browser.
I realized advanced chipset option, Intel Thunrderbolt was disabled. So I enabled that, and another selection occurs right beneath it by default says "Unique ID"

Then I started having issues with booting, restarting, I went ahead and tried changing CSM settings as limited info online says Thunderbolt card may have issues with that CSM 

As I was trying different things, I realized let me just instant flash back to BIOS version 1.10 which I remember Thunderbolt was recognized, even though it was an older BIOS version

It successfully instant flashed, but now reboots to black screen, I can't even see the AsRock Logo to press F2 to see whats going on after instant flashing the Bios back to 1.10

I am really confused. What's going on ? 

PS. I disconnected the Thunderbold 2 AIC AsRock Card and tried again as well, just to see, Nothing changed.

Please Help!
Thanks
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:16am
Do I need to Reset cmos to see if its gonna post? any thoughts appreciated
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:42pm
When in doubt, clear CMOS yes. It is quite common for post to fail after flashing back to a previous BIOS version, especially when UEFI entries were added/altered in the newer version. The BIOS retains a redundant setting and prevents post. Clearing CMOS will almost always resolve this.
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:45pm
Xaltar I am about to do it now, I found from AsRock Manual There is a switch, it indicates for CMOS reset, so I am assuming I don't need to locate a battery to take off, I just press this button when eveyrhing is off and turned off? Do I press it and hold for few seconds or just press it once and wait a min before I plug everything back up?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:49pm
For a quick reset I generally press and hold for 3 seconds but it should clear even if you don't hold. If that does not correct the post problem then go ahead and disconnect the power from the system and remove the CMOS battery for an hour or 2. Sometimes a simple clear is not sufficient. 
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:51pm
Do you know where the battery located for AsRock Extreme4 x99 motherboard?
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:52pm
Simple click didn't work indeed
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:54pm
ok found it trying now....
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:55pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:57pm
If that fails then all you need to do is check your manual for how to recover your BIOS from the backup. Your board has 2 BIOS chips, A and B (B ackup). I have never needed to do this myself but the manual should be reasonably easy to follow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic