ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Extreme4 Raid issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolverine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 Extreme4 Raid issue
    Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 9:54pm
Just built a new system with this board and I 2ant to have 2 raid drives set up. Both raid 0. 1st will be SSD for my os and then 2 750gb drives to make up a 1.5tb drive for games and everything else.

Last night it took me couple hours to finally get the bios to see setup and create a raid 0 from the SSD's. Did it from a cntrl+i during boot. However it would not let me set my other drives in raid while it did see them.

I tried messing with settings in bios and did get them originally all set to raid. Nothing I did worked. So I thought I'd install windows 7 and see if I could get it switched then.

No luck and it originally saw only 1 of those drives. Then I switched storage from legacy only to ufie or whatever it is and I could not raid my other drives and did. But now the system wiped my original and new raids and system comes to a message on boot. Nero 6 boot loader then an error product not supported.

I switched back to legacy delete the new raid still got that used boot select f11 on boot and boot into windows but the other drive not there. Deleted both raids and tried to start over no luck now I can't get the Nero 6 boot loader to go away with its error.

Whats up I've do e everything I can think of, thanks.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 10:09pm
I took a quick look at your user manual and found this:

10 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID
0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10 and Intel Rapid Storage 13),
NCQ, AHCI, Hot Plug and ASRock HDD Saver Technology
(S_SATA3_3 connector is shared with the eSATA port)
(S_SATA3_2 connector is shared with Ultra M.2 Socket)

* RAID is supported on SATA3_0 ~ SATA3_5 ports only.

1 x eSATA Connector, supports NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module
and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)

Is it possible that you have your drives hooked up to incompatible SATA ports? Have you tried changing the ports the drives are connected to to see if there may be some incompatibility with the ones you are using?

From the manual there should be no reason why you can't set up 2 RAID 0 arrays successfully so we are not talking about an unsupported feature here. 

Am I understanding correctly that you had both arrays set up at one point but there was a problem recognizing them in windows? 
Wolverine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolverine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 10:29pm
Yeah I checked and double check all 4 drives are on the supported ones.

After much time and frustration I got my SSD's in raid and windows only saw 1 of my hdds. Bios sees them all.

Edited by Wolverine - 17 Jun 2015 at 10:33pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 10:45pm
What does your bios setup look like? Do you have your SATA controllers all set to RAID?

I am afraid I am not too well equipped to help you with RAID installations on a consumer board as most of my RAID experience has been with servers and dedicated RAID controllers so things were a little different Wink

From what I do understand however the RAID arrays need to be set up with the SATA controller set to RAID mode. This will require the RAID drivers be provided at the start of the OS installation. 

The onboard SATA connectors are powered by 2 controllers, one is the Intel controller, which supports RAID arrays and is marked SATA 3_0 ~ SATA 3_5, the other controller is an Asmedia controller and its ports are labeled S_SATA 3_0 ~ S_SATA 3_3. Note the addition of the S_ to the port names.  

Your drives must be connected only to the intel ports labeled simply SATA 3_x.

I would have preferred to see the ports themselves color coded so as to avoid confusion, it took me a while to notice the addition of the S_ on the asmedia ports.

By your posts I assume this is not your first RAID setup. so forgive me if I am mostly stating the obvious but often with these problems that's where you find the error Smile

I assume all drives have been tested individually and each RAID array is comprised of matching drive brands and models?
Wolverine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolverine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 12:15am
Looks fairly normal just a little prettier then bios's I've had in the past.lol But yes all the SATA stuff as far as the SSD's & HDD's is set to RAID & the other SATA that my DVD burner is on is set to ACHI or whatever it is. And that is connected to non raided ports (non raid supported) whatever you wanna call them.

Is ok I'm fairly familar with them as I've used RAID 0 for like 15-20 yrs in all my builds. This is the first time I've had so much difficulties with setting one up.

Yes I had the raid drivers on a USB Drive, as well as the CD & the bios had some kind of easy raid thing I also tried. In any case I got through the windows install just fine with adding the drivers from the usb drive. which also at that point windows only saw the 1 HDD not both & not as a raid.

My Hard Drives are on the bottom 4 ports which in my manual & on the board are labeled as:

SSD's - SATA3_2 & SATA3_5
HDD's - SATA3_1 & SATA3_4

Yeah I would agree with the coding or labeling, but motherboards & pc stuff in general is always labeled, coded or whatever in really bizzare manner.lol

Is ok I understand and yes as stated I've been using raids for a long time on a variety of setups.

The drives came from my old system both worked fine before & after I have tested them and they are matching drives as they have been in raid in my previous system.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 12:23am
Thanks for the clarification Smile

So you have been able to set up the arrays fine, just the one array is not showing up in windows.... 

Do the drives of the second array show up in device manager? If they do you could try looking under disk management and see if they are displayed there but not populated. Short of the array not being populated I can't think of anything else offhand that could be of use. 

Asrock tech support or someone familiar with your particular setup may be able to help you further if my suggestion is of no use.

Good luck Thumbs Up
Wolverine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolverine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 12:37am
My SSD's I was able to get setup, just not my other drives, installed windows on the SSD's, but have since deleted that array trying to start over & try it all through the intel controller. Now or at least as of last night before I went to bed I couldn't get either of the sets of drives to get back into a raid that was see able or working.

So I can't check windows b/c I deleted it.lol

Thanks... hoping someone else pops by here who maybe able to help. I'm at work now, will be jumping back into things once I'm home again.
Wolverine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolverine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 9:03am
So I think I've found the issue... so the raid system I used only works on 1 raid array others have to be done in windows with a utility. Which is weird for me. One in bios is for HD's bigger then 2TB.

I was also able to reset everything I did and start over and remade my raid. Installin/updating windows now.

Stupid raid manual not included with motherboard and there is very small light print says this I think once I found that manual I kept over looking that msg. Lol
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 12:21pm
So you are up and running with both arrays now?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Wolverine Wolverine wrote:

So I think I've found the issue... so the raid system I used only works on 1 raid array others have to be done in windows with a utility. Which is weird for me. One in bios is for HD's bigger then 2TB.

I was also able to reset everything I did and start over and remade my raid. Installin/updating windows now.

Stupid raid manual not included with motherboard and there is very small light print says this I think once I found that manual I kept over looking that msg. Lol

Your first post said you had two 750GB HDDs, which together should still be under the 2.2TB limit of MBR formatting, so I don't get why the Ctrl-I utility did not work. Are those drives new or used before? If not new, were they ever used in RAID?

The very recent Intel chipset boards like yours may need more than one boot to recognize new drives. New drives won't be seen in Windows until initialized and formatted, but will be in the UEFI/BIOS. It still may take a restart to get all drives detected.

Did you set the SATA Device Type for each drive in Storage Configuration? Either Hard Drive or SSD.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic