ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Date keeps changing - ASRock H110M-HDS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Date keeps changing - ASRock H110M-HDS
    Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 6:38pm
I am an ASRock user myself, and my dad has purchased an ASRock H110M-HDS.

He is having a problem where the date keeps changing. Not the time, just the date, oddly enough.

He is using Windows 7 with 8GB DDR 4. BIOS version is 1.20.

He has done the following to try and fix it:
- Replaced the CMOS battery
- Changed the time zone and changed it back
- Changed the Windows internet time server
- Turned off internet time syncing
- Uninstalled Adobe Reader (yes, according to a few people this was actually messing with their clocks)
- In changing the CMOS battery, it appears it has reset his BIOS settings as well, so they are set to default.

Once the correct date is set, after a couple hours the date goes forward a day. And it will keep advancing day after day every few hours.

The evidence is pointing to the motherboard. Some kind of timing issue?  Does anyone have a suggestion? He only purchased the motherboard a month ago.

thanks

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 8:16pm
I would ordinarily recommend a CMOS clear but removing the battery already did that so the next step is to update the BIOS to the latest version. It sounds like either an RTC (real time clock) issue or there is some software messing with it.

If the BIOS update does not work post back.
Prizm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 11:42am
When I installed the board, i updated it to the latest bios (1.20). I'm wondering if i should revert to an older version.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Prizm Prizm wrote:

When I installed the board, i updated it to the latest bios (1.20). I'm wondering if i should revert to an older version.

That is worth trying, you should be able to change to the earlier version.

If the earlier version causes the problem to disappear, it seems the new version is the cause.
Prizm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 3:14pm
Ok, I found out what causes the date change.

For the record, I reverted to version 1.10 BIOS and that didn't fix it.

The problem happens every time the PC comes out of sleep mode. When digging through webpages online, I found someone who had the same problem with their HP laptop. So every time you wake the computer up, the date (not the time) advances. We turned off the sleep setting in Windows 7 (set sleep to "never"), and the date problem was fixed.

It's not a total win since the problem still exists underneath, but it's better than troubleshooting the hardware. 

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 9:23pm

Ok, I found out what causes the date change.

For the record, I reverted to version 1.10 BIOS and that didn't fix it.

The problem happens every time the PC comes out of sleep mode. When digging through webpages online, I found someone who had the same problem with their HP laptop. So every time you wake the computer up, the date (not the time) advances. We turned off the sleep setting in Windows 7 (set sleep to "never"), and the date problem was fixed.

It's not a total win since the problem still exists underneath, but it's better than troubleshooting the hardware. 

So you mean you don't let the PC ever enter Sleep mode? Or is that no Sleep mode automatically, and entering Sleep mode manually does not cause this date problem?

All I know is, over the years with different versions of Windows and various hardware and software, Windows Sleep remains a problem. The problems it has are multiple and of all kinds.

I stopped using Sleep with some older hardware (Asus P67 board) and Windows 7, since upon waking from Sleep, the video source would not work, black screen. Restart the PC, video was back.

I accidentally forgot to disable Sleep recently in Windows 10 on my ASRock X99 board system, and found the PC in Sleep mode when I walked away for a while. It woke up fine, no other weird side affects. Tried it on my ASRock Z170 board system, works fine too, so I'm back to using Sleep again.

Waking from Sleep requires many things to be restored that are not automatically done by the OS itself, apparently. So the mother board manufactures are stuck helping Microsoft with their Sleep feature. Too bad the fixes are not simple and obvious.
Prizm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 10:23pm
Haven't tried manual sleep, just disabled automatic. Yeah I actually think I forgot to disable sleep on my Win 10 PC. I agree, it causes a lot of people problems.

I keep having problems where my mouse cursor disappears after turning on the monitor. Have to keep clicking blind around the screen for 20sec to get the thing back. Appears to be a common problem with Win10. I think it might be sleep related as well.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 11:09pm

Haven't tried manual sleep, just disabled automatic. Yeah I actually think I forgot to disable sleep on my Win 10 PC. I agree, it causes a lot of people problems.

I keep having problems where my mouse cursor disappears after turning on the monitor. Have to keep clicking blind around the screen for 20sec to get the thing back. Appears to be a common problem with Win10. I think it might be sleep related as well.

I doubt manual or automatically entering Sleep makes any difference.

What type of mouse? Wireless? That's what I use. Mostly MSoft mice, I figure they ought to get things right with their OS and hardware. Pinch

I'm not having that problem waking from Sleep at all. If I do lose the mouse somehow, I'll turn off the mouse power switch, and then on again. If that doesn't do it, I remove the wireless transmitter from the USB port with the mouse power off. Plug the transmitter in again, and turn on the mouse.

If that doesn't work, it's restart time. Ouch
Prizm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 7:24am
Looks like I was wrong, I checked my PC and I have indeed turned sleep off. The mouse problem happens sometimes when I bring my monitor out of standby/power save. It's just a regular USB mouse (logitech) plugged straight into the back of the PC. Never had problems before Win10. It happens at my workplace as well with our Win10 machines. Someone on another forum mentioned it happens to their entire fleet of PCs in the company haha
Don't mean to derail this thread though, I just mentioned it as I thought it was sleep related.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 10:01am

My 2cents lie with this being a BIOS programming issue ASRock needs to look at.

OP, did you try each available BIOS revision on your boards download pages, and if so do one make any difference?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic