ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 BIOS Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
a_smart_imbecile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_smart_imbecile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:58am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by a_smart_imbecile a_smart_imbecile wrote:

Hello,

Just updated my Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7 to the latest BIOS P1.60 and I'm having heavy system stuttering and mouse pointer lag while watching Amazon Video and Netflix on any browser, but other streaming services like YouTube and Twitch are fine. This happens only with the new BIOS (P1.60), the old one (P1.40) runs smoothly. Tried a different bunch of GPU drivers and browsers, but no luck. Temperatures are OK. I'm on Windows 10 version 1709 and gaming-wise I have no problem.

I "want' to say you need to thank Intel for that lovely, NOT!, Spectre/Meltdown BIOSes are.
Note: It is NOT Asrocks doing but instead Intels.

Search Google. You are not alone.

Of course, I know it's Intel microcode's fault. Angry I'm just reporting my experience with the new BIOS for public knowledge.

Edited by a_smart_imbecile - 23 Mar 2018 at 4:59am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:40am
Originally posted by a_smart_imbecile a_smart_imbecile wrote:

Hello,

Just updated my Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7 to the latest BIOS P1.60 and I'm having heavy system stuttering and mouse pointer lag while watching Amazon Video and Netflix on any browser, but other streaming services like YouTube and Twitch are fine. This happens only with the new BIOS (P1.60), the old one (P1.40) runs smoothly. Tried a different bunch of GPU drivers and browsers, but no luck. Temperatures are OK. I'm on Windows 10 version 1709 and gaming-wise I have no problem.

I "want' to say you need to thank Intel for that lovely, NOT!, Spectre/Meltdown BIOSes are.
Note: It is NOT Asrocks doing but instead Intels.

Search Google. You are not alone.

a_smart_imbecile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_smart_imbecile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:19am
Hello,

Edited by a_smart_imbecile - 23 Mar 2018 at 4:20am
CPL0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPL0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Also, I'm glad that your "vintage" Vertex 2 SSD works fine. OCZ got a bad reputation being the beta tester for the Sandforce SSD controller, or I should say their customers were the testers. But everyone did not have problems with their products.

Funny you should mention that, one of my OCZ (non-Sandforce) Vertex 4's suddenly disappeared from the system / BIOS a little while back. Tried the usual power reset, nothing so decided to have a look inside. No green LED when power applied, metal cover discolored around the thermal pad similar to what you might see with high temperatures. When software was used to monitor and check SMART never remembered seeing any temperature that looked hot.

Anyway, after checking some components with a meter seemed there was a shorted capacitor presumably a filter transient cap for one of the memory supplies. Which one though, decided to power it on and do the feel test. The cap that burns the finger is the faulty one. Sure enough there was a real hot one, used some BFAI to remove it, checked with the meter again and looked a lot better. Connected to PC via USB and now detected. I guess I should replace it rather than leave it empty but given this capacitor had failed after 1637 hours (the equivalent of less than 70 days) most likely the other caps would be from the same batch and could also prematurely fail.

I post this so if someone else  experiences the same problem and didn't quite get around to backing up something on the disk then there may still be a chance of recovery.

Faulty capacitor removed (red arrow C162) however could easily be any of those others such as shown with green arrow.

Hope this might prove useful to someone.

Edited by CPL0 - 16 Feb 2017 at 7:56pm
tnikos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnikos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 2:50pm
Hi,

I have the asrock x99 extreme 3, i Have 4x8GB Ram Corsair CMV8GX4M1A2133C15, i bought the motherboard the end of 2015
Today  i bought 4x16GB Corsair CMV16GX4M1A2133C15, and the motherboard did not open, did not accepted.

My Steps to Resolve

I had the version 1.50 and i upgrade to 3.50 but without positive result.
I just won to increase with old Memories(32GB) from 1833 to 2133Mhz speed

It is possible to work with those memories ?

Thanks
Nikos
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by janwillem_v janwillem_v wrote:

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I wouldn't advise updating your BIOS to 3.0+ unless you are planning to upgrade your CPU to a Broadwell-EP. If your system is working well with 1.9 then stick with it. If you decided to upgrade your CPU at some later date you can update to the latest BIOS then. 
Thank you for your anwser. The only problem I have with this version is that I cannot priortise my harddisks.
Windows setup makes my M.2 primary, so when I install windows on my Vertex 2 it creates some small bootfiles on my m.2 drive.

Which is why you always install Windows with ONLY the target OS drive installed, or powered up, in the PC.

As you have seen, the Windows installer has a annoying habit of putting the boot/system partition on another drive, if it can find one during the installation.

Why MSoft does this, I don't know, and have stopped speculating about it long ago. This quirk of the Windows installer is fairly well known, and continues with Windows 10.

Once this happens with your Windows installation, you can fix it with your Windows installation media. You can remove the M.2 drive (cannot otherwise remove its power, right), boot from your Windows installation media, and select Repair. That will create the boot/system partition on your Vertex 2.

After you have booted the PC successfully from the Vertex 2, connect the M.2 drive again, and delete the boot/system partition on the M.2 drive.

If you would like to use the M.2 drive for Windows, we can tell you how to do that, depending upon which M.2 drive you have.

Did you say that an earlier UEFI/BIOS version allowed you to prioritize your drives in the Boot order, but the one you use now does not?

Also, I'm glad that your "vintage" Vertex 2 SSD works fine. OCZ got a bad reputation being the beta tester for the Sandforce SSD controller, or I should say their customers were the testers. But everyone did not have problems with their products.

Edited by parsec - 07 Oct 2016 at 8:56pm
janwillem_v View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janwillem_v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I wouldn't advise updating your BIOS to 3.0+ unless you are planning to upgrade your CPU to a Broadwell-EP. If your system is working well with 1.9 then stick with it. If you decided to upgrade your CPU at some later date you can update to the latest BIOS then. 
Thank you for your anwser. The only problem I have with this version is that I cannot priortise my harddisks.
Windows setup makes my M.2 primary, so when I install windows on my Vertex 2 it creates some small bootfiles on my m.2 drive.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 6:25pm
janwillem_v View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janwillem_v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 4:39pm
I have the X99M extreme 4 and my pc also suddenly powers off after POST screen right after I update from BIOS 1.9 to 3.0 , 3.10 or 3.20. After the power down it starts itself up and freezes whill loading windows 10 x64 (1607). Even tried to reinstall Windows 10 but also freezes in this process. I reverted to 1.9 and everything works fine.
All my BIOS settings are at default.

My specs:
E5-2620v3
48 GB Samsung ECC reg mem
512GB M.2 Samsung SM961 SSD
Some sata harddrives (OZC Vertex 2 has Windows 10 on it)
GTX 960 2gb

Like the 3th post, maybe it is something because of the M.2 ssd. I cannot test it because it's a realy REALY small case and do not want to take everything out so I can get to my m.2 slot.
I'm booting from the OZC Vertex ssd (sata)

Edited by janwillem_v - 07 Oct 2016 at 4:45pm
DStealth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 10:06pm
Yep...
Super happy here, can I give you a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueYUwcZV-n0
For the sheety time spend with your board and 6800k...some of my views...none of them made on the new OC socket model...

Quite happy actually with the old CPU and your board capabilities...

Edited by DStealth - 11 Sep 2016 at 10:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic