FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 BIOS Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 4:54pm
Hey there DStealth.

This is the best Broadwell-E OC guide I found while considering it for one of my new builds.

Unlike most guides, this one doesn't slant one way or another instead just laying it out there bare like.

Note their thoughts on Uncore. It's not all pretty. Uncore and a couple other concerns of yours concerning Broadwell-E are decently and fairly documented in it.

And this comes from a motherboard manufacturer. One that has to deal with what Intel offers its end-users.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/

Edited by wardog - 11 Sep 2016 at 4:55pm
DStealth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 1:24pm
And what is your explanation about this ?
<div><br></div>Your old and new(improved) board with OC soket
           x99 extereme4                                x99 extreme4/3.1
5820k Uncore 3600 mem 3050 cl15 went Uncore 4300 mem 3050 cl14
6800k Uncore 3300 mem 2750 cl13 went Uncore 3200 mem no boot with 2700 even no matter of timings 
seems normal ???<div><br></div>
Using your new board with my old CPU quite fine right now, but you have to fix this issue with Brodwell-E CPU...

Edited by DStealth - 11 Sep 2016 at 1:31pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by DStealth DStealth wrote:

I gave up playing with 6800k as mentioned tried all the suggestions and it overclock Cache and memory worse than the previous model w/o OC socket...makes no sense to me.
In opposite to 5820k where all went up with the new board...
I highly not recommend people to use Asrock OC socket boards until someone gives a prove they are working properly. Memory overclock is terrible also I'm PPL and not using XMP since at least 10 year when i flashed SPD on them with better timings for boards that doesn't have such 2nd and 3th ones...so...

Please find a fix to overcome the issue not try to claim people they're not knowledgeable or able to do something.
Let me ask you a simple question
Your old and new(improved) board with OC soket
6800k Uncore 3300 mem 2750 cl13 went Uncore 3200 mem no boot with 2700 even no matter of timings 
seems normal ???

That was the reason to register in this forum
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Let's resume what i have understand from your post as directed to me:
1. Enthusiast platform from Intel is not common and for overclocking while enthusiast...
2. Bla-bla software related when already told it's a BIOS fault and not even booting with setting your old board does
3. Blaming Intel and to be glad OC is good from such lower base point as a start
4. Your customer is poor and what to expect from a 200$ board...no matter he bought 2 models and a 450$ CPU he needs to sell already as used one...

Only for the last words used related to an end customer i would have fire you if you were my employee.

Please use appropriate language and try to help people and your customers in opposite to blaming them or someone else for such faults.
"I highly not recommend people to use Asrock OC socket boards until someone gives a prove they are working properly." - This part of my post is related with Broadwell-E CPU only

Best regards,
Dstealth

Many complaints, with very little information, and whom are you directing this to? "Your post directed at me"? Did someone reply to you in another thread? If so, what thread? Confused

Yes, Broadwell-E is not an improvement over Haswell-E, that is well known among X99 users that over clock. Given the performance of the very few Broadwell mainstream processors, that is no surprise IMO.

If "blaming Intel" is simply stating the facts that over clocks are not guaranteed, and that over clocking a processor voids the warranty (please ask Intel about this) then yes, I have blamed Intel.

Why the mother board is always the blame for the performance and ability to use hardware that is used with a mother board, I will never understand. Pinch
vmali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 4:01pm
I tried to update bios using web flash  and crashed, My PC fails to post, not display anything.
my MB is a  x99e-itx/ac. There are any actions that i can do in order to be operational again?

Thanks in advance.
DStealth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 12:00am
I gave up playing with 6800k as mentioned tried all the suggestions and it overclock Cache and memory worse than the previous model w/o OC socket...makes no sense to me.
In opposite to 5820k where all went up with the new board...
I highly not recommend people to use Asrock OC socket boards until someone gives a prove they are working properly. Memory overclock is terrible also I'm PPL and not using XMP since at least 10 year when i flashed SPD on them with better timings for boards that doesn't have such 2nd and 3th ones...so...

Please find a fix to overcome the issue not try to claim people they're not knowledgeable or able to do something.
Let me ask you a simple question
Your old and new(improved) board with OC soket
seems normal ???

That was the reason to register in this forum
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Let's resume what i have understand from your post as directed to me:
1. Enthusiast platform from Intel is not common and for overclocking while enthusiast...
2. Bla-bla software related when already told it's a BIOS fault and not even booting with setting your old board does
3. Blaming Intel and to be glad OC is good from such lower base point as a start
4. Your customer is poor and what to expect from a 200$ board...no matter he bought 2 models and a 450$ CPU he needs to sell already as used one...

Only for the last words used related to an end customer i would have fire you if you were my employee.

Please use appropriate language and try to help people and your customers in opposite to blaming them or someone else for such faults.
"I highly not recommend people to use Asrock OC socket boards until someone gives a prove they are working properly." - This part of my post is related with Broadwell-E CPU only

Best regards,
Dstealth

Edited by DStealth - 23 Aug 2016 at 7:43am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 2:12pm
Great points Parsec Thumbs Up 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by DStealth DStealth wrote:

Just wanna share my experience - with P3.20 and P3.30 BIOS on Extreme4/3.1 - The OC soket is not working at all with 6800k
With 5820k all is fine...Uncore and memory overclocking are terrible...even worse then they were on my previous board x99 extreme4...
Will not waitng for a new BIOS probably and will leave my 5820k as it makes 3ghz+ memory and 4ghz+ uncore...in opposite to 6800k which was not able to get over 2700mhz memory w/o loosing some modules(Dual/tripple) and 3300uncore...

Too bad, not sure if it's Asrock or Intel fault but is very annoying

Just to worn new users willing to jump on Broadwell-E train to avoid this MB...not sure how it works on Asus boards BTW

A photo with 6800k on the old board...the new one was terrible not even gonna share them
http://i.imgur.com/gckq0t6.jpg

Edit: On the other hand 5820k has become a complete new CPU...memory also. Very happy all at the minimum Voltages
~4300Mhz Uncore @ 1.3v + ~4.7Ghz@1.32v and 3025 cl14 T1 memory@ 1.3v...Just a miracle not achievable even closer with the old model w/o OC socket...
http://i.imgur.com/1pR5swx.jpg
Clap

We are lucky that Broadwell-E processors work as well as they do. Consider the standard Broadwell processors, are they popular with PC enthusiasts? In a few scenarios, yes, but for over clocking and general CPU performance, no.

Question for you, as well as using a Broadwell-E compatible UEFI/BIOS version, have you updated the Intel Management Engine (IME) software to the latest version? It won't work miracles, but without it you cannot over clock Broadwell-E at all.

Yes, the default Broadwell-E cache speed is 2700MHz, that is pure Broadwell-E, not ASRock. Did you notice the Broadwell-E AVX Cache Multiplier Offset option (or whatever it is called?)

You're familiar with the general Haswell AVX instructions stress tests problem I imagine? That is, using CPU stress tests with AVX2 instructions cause very high core temperatures? That cause throttling due to cores reaching ~100C?

With Broadwell-E, Intel added a UEFI/BIOS option that will reduce the maximum Cache multiplier when AVX2 instructions are being executed. This Cache Multiplier Offset option only allows a negative value, reducing the Cache multiplier. What does that tell us about Intel's faith in a Cache OC?

Not to mention that to OC the Cache in Haswell-E requires a non-standard 2011-v3 CPU socket! That's not Intel approved or supplied. How mother board manufactures got away with that one, I don't know. Given some of the problems one mother board manufacture seems to have with that socket, apparently destroying Haswell-E processors randomly, is that socket really that desirable?

I've read in an OCN Broadwell-E thread, that their IMC is better than Haswell-E, and have seen the proof. Of course to those guys, a DRAM voltage of 1.35V is the starting point.

IMO, DDR4 memory is a mess currently. Between Haswell-E/Broadwell-E and Skylake, the XMP profiles are not interchangeable. Mainly with VCCSA and VCCIO voltages. You must experiment to find the appropriate values and settings for your DDR4 memory, setting all that you can manually.

My ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1 board has gained and then lost memory OC capability between UEFI versions. As compatibility is enhanced for some memory models, others seem to have diminished capabilities. DDR4 is still new, and it will take time before it gets sorted out. The X58/socket 1366 processors were infamous for their "missing memory" syndrome, I saw it myself on my X58 board, and that was with mature DDR3 memory. We seem to forget, nothing is guaranteed beyond Intel's specs, given our past success.

You may think an ASRock X99 Extreme4 board is an expensive, high end board. It's a mid range board, period. A $200 X99 board is really entry level, relative to this platform. Check the prices of the X99 boards by the company that you mentioned above. Yes, $500+ for some models. Over priced? Maybe, but I don't understand how ANY decent board can be sold for $100 or less.
DStealth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:50pm
Just wanna share my experience - with P3.20 and P3.30 BIOS on Extreme4/3.1 - The OC soket is not working at all with 6800k
With 5820k all is fine...Uncore and memory overclocking are terrible...even worse then they were on my previous board x99 extreme4...
Will not waitng for a new BIOS probably and will leave my 5820k as it makes 3ghz+ memory and 4ghz+ uncore...in opposite to 6800k which was not able to get over 2700mhz memory w/o loosing some modules(Dual/tripple) and 3300uncore...

Too bad, not sure if it's Asrock or Intel fault but is very annoying

Just to worn new users willing to jump on Broadwell-E train to avoid this MB...not sure how it works on Asus boards BTW

A photo with 6800k on the old board...the new one was terrible not even gonna share them
http://i.imgur.com/gckq0t6.jpg

Edit: On the other hand 5820k has become a complete new CPU...memory also. Very happy all at the minimum Voltages
~4300Mhz Uncore @ 1.3v + ~4.7Ghz@1.32v and 3025 cl14 T1 memory@ 1.3v...Just a miracle not achievable even closer with the old model w/o OC socket...
http://i.imgur.com/1pR5swx.jpg
Clap

Edited by DStealth - 22 Aug 2016 at 1:46am
Baroque_Monster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baroque_Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 7:27pm
I just baught the 99x OC formula.  I am having a difficult time updating any drivers.  My windows will post and during the opening screen it crashes.  I'm pretty sure this is a driver issue however I have only been able to flash the lan driver and update the firmware nothing else will take.  I attempted to flash bois update but it keeps staing the is no image present.  It wont let me boot from a wondows 7 boot repeir from usb, dvd or lan.  keeps telling me no bootable partition.  everything has posted fine all the memory, the setup screen is fine and bois seem to be working.  but it keeps blocking me from opening windows so I can run the included disk or installing the driver necessary for the dvd, usb, sata, ect?
MrX1980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrX1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 2:31pm
X99M Extreme4

Currently the stable and new beta Bios has the same version number v.3.10 with different changelog and date, but has the same download links (Instant Flash). Could it be that you have accidentally overwritten the stable Bios ?

Edited by MrX1980 - 04 Aug 2016 at 2:49pm
ASRock X99M Extreme4 / BIOS 3.00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic