ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 BIOS Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnikos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 2:50pm
Hi,

I have the asrock x99 extreme 3, i Have 4x8GB Ram Corsair CMV8GX4M1A2133C15, i bought the motherboard the end of 2015
Today  i bought 4x16GB Corsair CMV16GX4M1A2133C15, and the motherboard did not open, did not accepted.

My Steps to Resolve

I had the version 1.50 and i upgrade to 3.50 but without positive result.
I just won to increase with old Memories(32GB) from 1833 to 2133Mhz speed

It is possible to work with those memories ?

Thanks
Nikos
CPL0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPL0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Also, I'm glad that your "vintage" Vertex 2 SSD works fine. OCZ got a bad reputation being the beta tester for the Sandforce SSD controller, or I should say their customers were the testers. But everyone did not have problems with their products.

Funny you should mention that, one of my OCZ (non-Sandforce) Vertex 4's suddenly disappeared from the system / BIOS a little while back. Tried the usual power reset, nothing so decided to have a look inside. No green LED when power applied, metal cover discolored around the thermal pad similar to what you might see with high temperatures. When software was used to monitor and check SMART never remembered seeing any temperature that looked hot.

Anyway, after checking some components with a meter seemed there was a shorted capacitor presumably a filter transient cap for one of the memory supplies. Which one though, decided to power it on and do the feel test. The cap that burns the finger is the faulty one. Sure enough there was a real hot one, used some BFAI to remove it, checked with the meter again and looked a lot better. Connected to PC via USB and now detected. I guess I should replace it rather than leave it empty but given this capacitor had failed after 1637 hours (the equivalent of less than 70 days) most likely the other caps would be from the same batch and could also prematurely fail.

I post this so if someone else  experiences the same problem and didn't quite get around to backing up something on the disk then there may still be a chance of recovery.

Faulty capacitor removed (red arrow C162) however could easily be any of those others such as shown with green arrow.

Hope this might prove useful to someone.

Edited by CPL0 - 16 Feb 2017 at 7:56pm
a_smart_imbecile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_smart_imbecile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:19am
Hello,

Just updated my Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7 to the latest BIOS P1.60 and I'm having heavy system stuttering and mouse pointer lag while watching Amazon Video and Netflix on any browser, but other streaming services like YouTube and Twitch are fine. This happens only with the new BIOS (P1.60), the old one (P1.40) runs smoothly. Tried a different bunch of GPU drivers and browsers, but no luck. Temperatures are OK. I'm on Windows 10 version 1709 and gaming-wise I have no problem.

Edited by a_smart_imbecile - 23 Mar 2018 at 4:20am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:40am
Originally posted by a_smart_imbecile a_smart_imbecile wrote:

Hello,

Just updated my Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7 to the latest BIOS P1.60 and I'm having heavy system stuttering and mouse pointer lag while watching Amazon Video and Netflix on any browser, but other streaming services like YouTube and Twitch are fine. This happens only with the new BIOS (P1.60), the old one (P1.40) runs smoothly. Tried a different bunch of GPU drivers and browsers, but no luck. Temperatures are OK. I'm on Windows 10 version 1709 and gaming-wise I have no problem.

I "want' to say you need to thank Intel for that lovely, NOT!, Spectre/Meltdown BIOSes are.
Note: It is NOT Asrocks doing but instead Intels.

Search Google. You are not alone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_smart_imbecile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:58am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Hello,

I "want' to say you need to thank Intel for that lovely, NOT!, Spectre/Meltdown BIOSes are.

Of course, I know it's Intel microcode's fault. Angry I'm just reporting my experience with the new BIOS for public knowledge.

Edited by a_smart_imbecile - 23 Mar 2018 at 4:59am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 5:07am
Honestly, unless you use the system for business and have a high risk of being targeted, I would just stick to the old BIOS that worked properly. My philosophy is that if someone targets you and is intent on hacking you, they don't need an exploit, they will get you anyway. From what I understand, the odds of a mass attack using these exploits are very slim.

If security is a major concern for you, I suggest you make a big stink on the intel forums Wink As Wardog said, you are not alone. 

In the end, it's your decision to make, just sharing my 2c on the matter Geek
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 5:58am

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Hello,

Of course, I know it's Intel microcode's fault. Angry I'm just reporting my experience with the new BIOS for public knowledge.

Gotch'ya. Me bad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_smart_imbecile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:30pm
Just checked the newest v1.70 BIOS for my Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7 motherboard, and the issue is still there. Unhappy After withdrawing previous v1.60, I wonder why Asrock even released this new one, since the change-log is exactly the same. Ermm
Foosking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foosking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:28am
I tried updating my X99E-itx/ac BIOS from P1.50 to P3.80 to fix the Spectre issues and it froze at 25%. After an hour like this I rebooted knowing its going to be bricked and sure enough it is.
I just sent support an email asking where do I get a BIOS chip with P1.50 on it.
Foosking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foosking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 9:10am
I emailed support and have no reply from them so I ordered a bios chip from ebay. I installed it today and it works but I get error MAC addresses are invalid in both CMOS and Flash
My mb has 2 Ethernet ports. I have looked on the mb for a decal with the MAC but do not see one. The decal I see below the PCI-e slot has the correct amount of digits but it does not work. In windows ipconfig /all shows 1 correct MAC but the other looks incorrect 88-88-88-88-87-88.
I rewrote the 1 and it took so now I am trying to find the other one.
Where do I find the MAC address for the LAN ports? The FAQ says it on a sticker but that is not true for this model.

Edited by Foosking - 27 May 2018 at 9:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic