ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H170A-X1/3.1 boots to BIOS sometimes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cybermcm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 5:49pm
I got an answer from Asrock:
it is hardware limitation.
The only thing you can do is to let the system boot up and shut down after cutting AC power off.

This is weird. If that is an normal behavior all boards will have the same bug?!?

Anyone want to try to open another case?

Edited by cybermcm - 02 Sep 2016 at 3:46am
rrck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 12:41am
Same here, with a H170M Pro.  Booting to "logo screen" after external power is restored, despite selecting "POWER OFF" in BIOS.

I've never seen such harebrained behavior before.

But where can I open a bug report?  Do you have a link for me?

cybermcm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cybermcm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 3:46am
sure, I used this one:
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

There is still no solution. We have to convince Asrock to look into it. This is a bug...
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 8:08am
Originally posted by rrck rrck wrote:

Same here, with a H170M Pro.  Booting to "logo screen" after external power is restored, despite selecting "POWER OFF" in BIOS.

I've never seen such harebrained behavior before.

But where can I open a bug report?  Do you have a link for me?

The Restore on AC/Power Loss option's purpose is not meant to apply in the situation that is being discussed here.

Your situation occurs after the PC is shutdown and the PSU is either switched off or removed from AC power, right?

This is the description of this option in my ASRock 170 board's manual:

Restore on AC/Power Loss

Select the power state after a power failure. If [Power Off] is selected, the power will remain off when the power recovers. If [Power On] is selected, the system will start to boot up when the power recovers

Note the use of the words restore and failure. The purpose of this option is to either start or not start the PC after a power failure (once power is restored) when the PC was on and the OS was booted and is running.

Turning off the PSU manually or removing AC power to the PSU, with the PC shutdown, is not a power failure situation. If the PC is shutdown, what needs to be restored if the PSU is turned off and then turned on again?

This option allows the user to configure whether or not a running PC will start again or not, when AC power is lost during a storm, for example. That is a power failure.

I agree that if every time I shutdown my PCs to work on them, and turn off and unplug the PSU, and upon connecting the PSU to AC power and turning it on again, it would immediately start and either go into the UEFI or boot, or even start for a few seconds and then shut off, is not a normal situation, or at least one that I have experienced in the past. But I don't have WOL enabled. I have several ASRock boards, and none of them start when I turn on the PSU after a shutdown, or otherwise.

My only point here is, the Restore on AC/Power Loss option is not meant to control what you are experiencing.

WOL seems to be the cause. The answer from support is saying apparently that some type of initialization or setup is being done when the PSU is turned on (supplying power to the board) and WOL is enabled. I don't know if that is true or not. But some of you feel that is absolutely impossible?

Do all of you use Windows 10? Windows 10 has caused network issues of all kinds. Intel network driver features like NIC teaming is broken with Windows 10 from the beginning, and has still not been fixed. This is just a thought, I'm not saying Windows 10 is the problem.

I'll need to try this myself with WOL enabled.
rrck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

My only point here is, the Restore on AC/Power Loss option is not meant to control what you are experiencing.

WOL seems to be the cause.

I know what it's meant for, and it's a useful and required option.  All I'm saying is that if that option is DISABLED, the PC should not behave the way it does.  It should stay switched off completely, not start and shut down after a few seconds.

And it's got nothing to do with WOL; I've disabled all Wakes that I could find.

rrck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by cybermcm cybermcm wrote:

sure, I used this one:
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

There is still no solution. We have to convince Asrock to look into it. This is a bug...

Thanks, I'll open another one.

(Besides, I had an ASRock board before, and that one wasn't so stupid.)
cybermcm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cybermcm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 3:34pm
Thanks four your answers.
I don't want to mix up things so I'll clarify my case:
I'm not using the "Restore on AC/Power Loss" option, this is still set to off in my case (default value).
If you enable wake on lan then the board is powered for a few seconds to initialize the WOL function, which is an expected and desired function.

My problem is that after that the first boot goes into BIOS and this can only be a bug and never be a desired configuration (it would also happen after a power loss)!

And yes I'm working with Win10 64bit but I don't think that this has something to do with it.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by rrck rrck wrote:

WOL seems to be the cause.

I know what it's meant for, and it's a useful and required option.  All I'm saying is that if that option is DISABLED, the PC should not behave the way it does.  It should stay switched off completely, not start and shut down after a few seconds.

And it's got nothing to do with WOL; I've disabled all Wakes that I could find.

Well, I tried to explain that option, if you refuse to accept it is not related to your situation, that is your choice.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by cybermcm cybermcm wrote:

Thanks four your answers.
I don't want to mix up things so I'll clarify my case:
I'm not using the "Restore on AC/Power Loss" option, this is still set to off in my case (default value).
If you enable wake on lan then the board is powered for a few seconds to initialize the WOL function, which is an expected and desired function.

My problem is that after that the first boot goes into BIOS and this can only be a bug and never be a desired configuration (it would also happen after a power loss)!

And yes I'm working with Win10 64bit but I don't think that this has something to do with it.

I understand that the issue is not related to the Restore on AC/Power Loss, I said that in my previous post.

I also said I understand what your problem is, and I never said it did not exist, or is not an issue. As I tried to emphasize in my previous post, the ONLY point I was making was the Restore on AC/Power Loss option will not change the behavior you are experiencing. Sorry to keep repeating this, but it seems like no one actually reads it. Confused  I am done with that.

Yes, starting into the UEFI/BIOS when power is restored is a problem, I agree for all the reasons you listed. That is obvious. This is the one and only issue that needs to be fixed and figured out here.

My first test on a new ASRock H110 chipset system I have also confirms that when power is removed and then restored, the PC will start for a moment and then turn off when WOL is enabled in the UEFI.

But that system did not start into the UEFI/BIOS. I need to try some configurations of the Intel network driver settings in Device Manager to see if this PC will do what yours does. I also will do that on my ASRock Z170 PC.

Are we (you and I) on the same page now? We should be, I just want you to know that.
cybermcm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cybermcm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 11:02pm

Are we (you and I) on the same page now? We should be, I just want you to know that.

We are ;-)
I just want to make sure that the "real" problem is discussed further.

Please check your Windows NIC settings, there should be an option "Wake on Magic Packet from power off state" which has to be enabled. Without this option WOL isn't working (which is a normal behavior).
Another Point in Win10: You have to clear "Turn on fast startup" in Power options -> System settings to get WOL working (at least I had to do this)

Is WOL working with your configuration?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic