ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Integrated AMD Radeon??R7/R5 Series Graphics in A-
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Integrated AMD Radeon??R7/R5 Series Graphics in A-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asrocka58vg3r2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Integrated AMD Radeon??R7/R5 Series Graphics in A-
    Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 9:41pm
I just bought the 

FM2A58M-VG3+ R2.0 

and on the graphics it says INTEGRATED AMD RADEON R7/R5 SERIES GRAPHICS IN A-SERIES APU. DOES THE MOBO HAVE THIS BUILT IN? IF YES HOW CAN I ACTIVATE THE R7/R5 GRAPHICS. MY APU IS AMD A6 6400K RICHLAND WITH AN AMD RADEON HD 8470D. PLS HELP ME CAUSE THIS IS MY FIRST PC THAT I BUILT. FOR MORE INFO ABOUT THE MOBO HERES THE LINK: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A58M-VG3+%20R2.0/

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 9:47pm
I am afraid not.

Quote INTEGRATED AMD RADEON R7/R5 SERIES GRAPHICS IN A-SERIES APU

The iGPU is provided by the CPU and depends on the CPU used.
asrocka58vg3r2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asrocka58vg3r2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 10:49pm
oh. well that confuses me a lot. they shouldn't have put that in the description cos its misleading. thank you for your help 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 10:51pm
Your A4-6400K does have an iGPU.

If I read your post right, you're asking if you can disable the 6400Ks iGPU and instead use a discreet graphics card in it's place

That answer would be "Certainly".

You can disable the 6400Ks iGPU in the BIOS and signify it to instead use the R7/R5.

HTH

Edited by wardog - 19 Aug 2016 at 10:52pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 11:21pm
He means does the board itself possess an integrated R5/R7 iGPU. The answer is no, it utilizes the iGPU on the APU installed. 

He is using an A6 6400k Richland APU which is equipped with an "HD 8470D" iGPU. Newer APUs all utilize R5/R7 designation iGPUs. I believe he feels cheated as he believed the board itself possessed an iGPU he could enable in place of or in conjunction with the CPU's iGPU.

I am sorry he feels that way but most, if not all FM2+ boards have their graphics capabilities listed this way. The 8XXXD iGPUs were renamed to R5 and R7 designations with the A(XX) 7K series of APUs. They are in essence still the same iGPUs with some tweaks and performance improvements.

There would be little to no performance increase between his 8470D to an R5 graphics solution on the a6 7400k for example. Maybe a few FPS due to slightly higher clocks but ultimately the A4 and A6 range of iGPUs are not gaming APUs, they are budget oriented media solutions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asrocka58vg3r2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 7:30am
I thank you both for taking time to answer my question. When I bought the mobo i thought that it has an integrated r5/r7 gpu, so i pair it with the a6-6400k. And Before I forgot Im planning to make my pc an office and a gaming unit. Can you recommend a good gpu on a nice budget? Is amd dual grapphics technology massively improves performance in gaming? I play moba, elderscrolls and other rpg's that is not very demanding. They all runs fine in low settings mode.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 10:37am
In your instance employing Dual Graphics in tandem with the APU and a "matching' discreet card might be the better/less expensive alternative.

http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Recommended_graphics_cards_for_AMD_dual-graphics.html
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 12:47pm
Dual graphics is more effective on higher specification APUs. Even then, not all games can utilize it and you end up running only the discrete card in some titles. 

Part of the problem with dual graphics is that only certain GPUs are compatible. Some of these GPUs are a total waste of money. I would not touch an R7 240 for example, it costs around $70 new and performs horribly. 

The sweet spot when it comes to value for performance is the R9 250x which can be had for $80 - $85 and actually games reasonably well at 720p. While the R7 250x can't be used in dual graphics mode with your APU it will be significantly faster than a card that can be.

Basically I would recommend a faster GPU over one that can be used in dual graphics mode. The R7 250x will significantly outperform the APU + AMD HD 6570 in dual graphics.

If you are looking to go even cheaper then take a look at buying used. Any AMD HD 7790 or better will be a great investment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asrocka58vg3r2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 6:22pm
Again, thank you all for answering my question. Ive been eyeing those r7 240 for a while cause theyre cheap and thinking to upgrade my a6 to a8 in december so i can use the dual graphics but now im having a second thought. I guess discrete gpu will just have to wait for now. If i decide to buy one of those nvidia gpu's with the apu i mentioned in my post, what will you recommend between these two: (zotac gtx 750ti 1gb ddr5 128 bit) or (zotac gtx 7501gb ddr5 128 bit). Any brand/model will also be acceptable in your suggestion as long as their price is close to the gpu's i gave.

Edited by asrocka58vg3r2 - 20 Aug 2016 at 6:29pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 7:04pm
A 750ti is a great choice, it will be faster than the 250x I mentioned and also uses less power. Any brand is fine just find the best deal you can. If it is in your budget I would try and get a 2gb version even if it is just a 750 not the 750 ti. You wouldn't be able to use dual graphics with it but it will be faster than any dual graphics setup your APU is capable of anyway.

The only issue you might come across is that your A6 is a dual core and may cause problems running some games but looking at the titles you listed I don't think it would be a problem for you, not unless you plan on playing some of the newer AAA titles. Some new games do not work well (or at all) on dual core systems. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic