ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Extreme 4 NVME PCI-E SSD BOOTING!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bugstomper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugstomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z77 Extreme 4 NVME PCI-E SSD BOOTING!
    Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 12:02am
Ploink,

Thank you taking the time to post your experience. I am a late adapter and recent post inspired me. Unfortunately, I presently dual boot with XP and must boot Win 10 in MBR, giving me fits or making it impossible to boot to NVMe drive.

What is the name of the device you boot to in the firmware settings?
ploink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ploink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:41pm
You can boot Windows from NVME on any 64bit mainboard without NVME support if you install the rEFIind boot manager with the NvmExpressDxe.efi driver on usb stick and boot it. Refind can then chainload windows or any other OS you have installed.

That said, I installed the NVME on a z77 Extreme 4 mainboard without needing the usb stick solution.

This is what I did.
- Flash the 2.90P beta Bios.
- Install the NVME hardware
- Boot into windows to let it install the driver and check that nvme works.
- Convert the windows boot disk to GPT (in case it is MBR).
- Disable CSM in Bios/firmware setup (in Advanced->ACPI configuration). You should never need it again as the system is now GPT.
- Install the free version of Macrium Reflect and clone the entire boot disk to NVME. Note it is possible to resize the windows partition while cloning to fill the disk, but every time I try, I have to work out how to do that. Reflect is not very intuitive with this.
- After the clone, SHUTDOWN and unplug mains. DO NOT REBOOT until you have physically disconnected the old boot disk. Having two clones of the same OS during boot can seriously confuse windows.

I am not 100% sure the GPT/CSM steps are required, but it worked for me.
moxie2020 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moxie2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 12:32pm
pre-modified BIOS where££
crileo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crileo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 12:49pm
Hello ZAZZN, I'm interested to your mod bios but I cannot see your link for downloading....can you help me£
rockherbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockherbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 11:08pm
Hi guys, I use a Z77 Extreme 4M(the small brother to the Extreme 4) and installed a NVME PCI-E SSD with an adapter in the PCI e 3.0 slot these days. No problem with the installing process. Windows 10 pro shows this as regular drive and I can use it as data storage. On the other hand the Bios doesn`t show the NVME drive (which is due to the missing NVme element) and I can`t therefore boot from it. It was interesting to see that for the Extreme 4 Bios there is a NVME part included already - so my questions are:

Is there a solution for the Extreme 4M - the actual Bios version is 1.90£

Can I possibly use the Extreme 4 Bios on my board - since both boards are very similar£

Can an expert possibly modify the 1.90 Bios that I can use my NVME ssd for booting£

Thank you-
B-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote B-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 12:00pm
2.90Q I Meant. The 3.00 disnt show my nvme drive.
Just keep trying sonething until it works
B-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote B-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 11:54am
2.90p was the only one that worked for me
drakon8000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drakon8000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 12:38am
latest Bios P3.0 3/12/2018 support NVME ?
or need only Bios version 2.90P
SSgtWeasel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtWeasel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 11:48pm
Attempting to replace existing Samsung 850 SSD (SATA3_A0) with 970 EVO

Recently Purchased:
YATENG NVME Adapter PCIe x16 with Heat Sink, M.2 SSD Key M to PCI Express Expansion Card
Samsung (MZ-V7E1T0BW) 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology, Black/Red

Questions:
Will I take away the PCIE2 3.0 speed from my new RTX2060 if using x16 slot for new EVO 970 with adapter? I plan to use PCIE3 3.0 slot that only supports 8x I believe?
What should the BIOS setting be for both PCIE2 and PCIE3?

NOTE: Replaced recent MSI GeForce (N760 TF 2GD5/OC760 TF 2GD5/OC) with New NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER used PCIE2 x16 slot 1 and set BIOS to PCIE 3.x

Current Platform Specs
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)     
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. P3.00, 3/12/2018      - Have the latest BETA Bios from Asus website instlaled
SMBIOS Version     2.7     
BIOS Mode     Legacy     
BaseBoard Manufacturer     ASRock     
BaseBoard Product     Z77 Extreme4
Video Card = EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 Super SC Black Gaming, 8GB GDDR6, Dual Fans, 08G-P4-3062-KR
Hard drive C: = Samsung SSD 850 EVO SATA3 6bg/s per application (latest firmware) ACHI activated. Rapid and trim enabled. SATA3_A0
OS Name     Microsoft Windows 10 Pro     
Version     10.0.18363 Build 18363     
itsthesmell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsthesmell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 12:58am
Im still unable to get my corsair mp510 nvme drive to boot. I contacted asrock to see if they had a more upto date bios. They replied 2 days later saying they cant see why it doesnt work so they asked their engineers to make an official nvme bios and here it is: 1.90a. Astonishing customer service. Im buying asrock with every build from now on. Thanks guys.

Ive bought another adapter so i will wait for that to arrive before installing 1.90a.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic