ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Extreme 4 NVME PCI-E SSD BOOTING!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderg0D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 6:45pm
OK, that's kind of how I was understanding it. So I'm guessing it's safe to say it probably doesn't support bifurcation to allow a multi-channel nvme card to use 2 slots (since x8 would in theory only support 2). There's not a lot of those riser cards out there, but was curious if anyone had tried one and had any luck past 1 drive working (The usual answer when bifurcation is not supported)

B-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 5:17pm
I have a Samsung 970 EVO NVME

i installed the NVME driver and cloned the windows 7 operating system

i installed the 3.00 beta bios version but after hours of stuffing around not being able to find the drive i got the 2.90Q and it shows the 970 Evo

but when i select the 970 and go to boot it says ""Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

is this because its a clone so the boot partition is MBR instead of a GPT?

or something else?

i have had this issue before and a system repair fixed it would that work for this?
anyone have any ideas?

B-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 4:11pm
Finally just got windows 7 installed and working great! from Samsung 850 to the 970 NVME its quite noticeable very snappy

***only works with 2.90Q Bios firmware*** wouldn't work with 3.00

cant copy my MBR windows 7 partition so had to installed new.

my nLite Win7 usb wasnt bootable by UEFI so used rufus

i put my Samsung Drivers on the usb and when booting pressed F11 until i got boot menu and selected the usb stick with the UEFI heading and started installing.

once that was done i was fully installed in logged in in under 5 minutes
didn't have to change anything in bios settings it all just worked.
even left the usb in during install reboots until it had logged in
mochifish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochifish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 1:39am
There is no link to your pre-made bios. Can you please relink that for us?
mochifish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochifish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 1:42am
Originally posted by zazzn zazzn wrote:

however, if you don't want to go through the trouble you can use my pre-modified BIOS here

Can you please re-link your bios (it's not working)?
mochifish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochifish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 1:46am
Just found it in another Forum! Here is the address https://www.win-raid.com/t2210f44-OFFER-ASRock-Z-Extreme-NVME-booting-BIOS.html

The link is in the top post of the page. Thanks zazzn
danvos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danvos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 6:19pm
@ Mr-Uve

Well I did exactly how you described and bingo everything is OK.
Hardware : Asrock Z77 Extreme4 with Windows10 Pro installed on an SSD .
Bootstick installed with new Build 1809 Windows 10 Pro.
BIOS is the P 2.90 actual on the Website of Asrock. Did not use the BIOS 3.0 because not shure if this one has the ability to boot from NVME SSD.

Only litlle problem : When I want to boot from my older SSD I have to push F11 to go in the boot option menu en choose the SSD I need.So that is not a real problem.

Verifying the PCIE slots :
PCIE slot 2 (with GPU) runs at PCIE 3.0 X 8
PCIE slot 3 (with Samsung NVME 970 Evo Plus) runs at PCIE 3.0 X 4.
Speeds are approximatly for read and write 2500 MB/s measured with Samsung software Magician. Speeds from my older SSD Samsung 850 evo are about 500 MB/s so a big difference.
Yes Asrock did a good job with this motherboard, I would recommend every owner to perform the upgrade to NVME. It is realy not complicated.
Aurum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 6:35am
I only reg'd so I can tell after trying all the beta bios versions, I only managed to boot from NVMe drive (970 Evo Plus) with the 2.90Q which can be found here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/167-intel-bios/1598165-nvme-bios-update-asrock-z77-extreme-4-a.html
Otherwise, with all the other versions if I disabled CSM I got absolutely no options to boot from anything. If CSM is enabled, I could boot, but not from NVMe. If I overlooked something that may have caused this please let me know by replying here.
SodaPoPDima View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SodaPoPDima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 6:49am
Is there a possibility to get such a modification on the Extreme9 or Extreme11 series of this board?

I feel like an nvme WD Black would be my next upgrade I can possibly do.
madyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 4:27am
Hi,
This post convinced me it can be done, while I was just about to give up!

I bought some thime ago, the Sasung 970 EVO M.2 NVME card. Used it as a 2nd disk (in case it fails). At the same time I flashed my Z77extreme4 with beta 3.00 BIOS. It was running sweet.

I decided to make things NVME bootable at th weekend.
Since I'm rather a linux fan, I'm trying to set things up with use of GRUB at the moment but It's giving me a real head ache (yes, I'm aware of its compat. issues).

After reading your post, I downloaded the 2.90P BIOS. Flashed the board again, downloaded Windows 10 iso, set the ACPI CSM control to DISABLED. Having it done, I'm sure board starts the W10 DVD in UEFI mode. DVD installs okay. During 1st reboot, I entered setup screen and turned the CSM back to ENABLED, rebooted and it finished the W10 install like a charm...

I'm pretty sure, my box can be Tuxified now??;)

Thanks a lot for your post!

PS.
UEFI BOOT panel shows previously missing, Samsung 970 evo and MS boot manager entries.

PS2.
With 3.0 BIOS and grub (EFI-booted from SD card), when I entered grub's built in command prompt and issued 'ls' it showed (hd0)(hd0,gpt1)(hd0,gpt2)(hd1). All hd0* were my SD card entries and hd1 was the NVME. It wasn't able to see any partition on the hd1, though they were there (gpt layout, fat formatted EFI and reiserfs the others).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic