ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

asrock 970 extreme4 with nvme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slayme40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: asrock 970 extreme4 with nvme
    Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 4:21pm
Hi does anyone know if the asrock 970 extreme 4 supports nvme ssds? I know it doesn't have an m2 slot but I know you can buy adapters that plug into a pci-express slot. Also will a samsung 950pro with adapter work if I plug it into the pcie-5 slot? Will I be able boot off it?
I love to tinker
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 6:12pm
Not 100% sure, but I don't believe so.

Blasted ASRock for taking down all BIOS revisions 'cept 2.80 for this MB.

Hang out here and wait for a reply or contact ASRock Tech using http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by slayme40 slayme40 wrote:

Hi does anyone know if the asrock 970 extreme 4 supports nvme ssds? I know it doesn't have an m2 slot but I know you can buy adapters that plug into a pci-express slot. Also will a samsung 950pro with adapter work if I plug it into the pcie-5 slot? Will I be able boot off it?

I doubt the 970 Extreme4 will support NVMe SSDs as the OS/boot drive. You would need a UEFI/BIOS version that adds NVMe support on older boards like this one.

The few existing ASRock AMD boards that now have NVMe support, have the UEFI updates with NVMe added recently, in 2016. The last UEFI update for your board is dated 2015. Given this, I'm sure your board does not currently support NVMe SSDs as the OS drive.

One important detail, the required interface for the 950 Pro is PCIe 3.0 x4. Your board supports PCIe 2.0, so while a 950 Pro would work as a data drive with an M.2 to PCIe adapter card, it would not operate at its full performance.

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Not 100% sure, but I don't believe so.

Blasted ASRock for taking down all BIOS revisions 'cept 2.80 for this MB.

Hang out here and wait for a reply or contact ASRock Tech using http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

You know why they've done that, and I thought you supported it...

Add warning message when unsupported CPU installed.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I'm gung-ho and wholeheartedly support the warning msg and failure to support where NO support should exist. That's not what I was getting at by posting that. No. No. No. Like you, just because it fits in the socket should not be an excuse and overlook the fact of  ""Are we doing the RIGHT thing here boys and girls?""

What peeves me is not being able to read and consider what previous past and now nonexistent BIOS release descriptions corrected/fixed/added. Dead
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I'm gung-ho and wholeheartedly support the warning msg and failure to support where NO support should exist. That's not what I was getting at by posting that. No. No. No. Like you, just because it fits in the socket should not be an excuse and overlook the fact of  ""Are we doing the RIGHT thing here boys and girls?""

What peeves me is not being able to read and consider what previous past and now nonexistent BIOS release descriptions corrected/fixed/added. Dead

That of course is a good point, which no one could disagree with, including myself.

But you also know what the problem is if the earlier UEFI/BIOS versions were available. Of course, the descriptions of those versions could be included.
decoder80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoder80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 10:11am
HI, here si a file you need https://yadi.sk/d/zotFyE9LdRZhgw
its made by 970 Extreme4(2.80)ROM
i made it for myself, i check it. Its works realy.
made by video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVUdeBDi0lk

nvme block take from 990FX Extreme9(1.80)ROM

falcontech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falcontech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:33am
Originally posted by decoder80 decoder80 wrote:

HI, here si a file you need https://yadi.sk/d/zotFyE9LdRZhgw
its made by 970 Extreme4(2.80)ROM
i made it for myself, i check it. Its works realy.
made by video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVUdeBDi0lk

nvme block take from 990FX Extreme9(1.80)ROM

Hi
I installed the bios you posted but the nvme entry in the bios screen is not present anywhere, is this normal?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic